Thread: turbo recommendation for 2.5L TIII

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

turbo recommendation for 2.5L TIII

I have a Spirit R/T that will be getting a rebuilt 2.5L soon. I had plans to put a "Super 70" turbo on it. Basically it's an entire Buick GN turbo rebuilt by TU with a standard Garrett T3 .63 turbine housing and a Chrysler stage I turbine wheel.

Well, it turns out I'm probably selling the car to my older brother. I think all the work to put a larger turbo in would be kinda lost on him. This build is all about building a fun street car. Shooting for the moon and 300+ WHP is not a concern.

Given the choices I have available, which turbo should I install?

1. Stock TIII. I'm a little worried about installing this as it might overspin and cook itself with 14 psi boost @ WOT.

2. The aforementioned Buick GN turbo.

3. A "Super 70" that was built with stock TIII hot side and a smallish Nissan compressor housing. Same compressor wheel as the Buick GN.

4. A Mustang SVO turbo. It's just a hair larger than the TIII (60-trim T3 vs 55-trim T3) but also has a .63 turbine housing. I have two of these units and also compressor housing adapters from ATP turbo so it will be an easy bolt-on.

At any rate, the car also needs a new downpipe, so I plan to use the ATP "Ultimate Internal Swingvalve" on this particular car, which will make a later upgrade very easy.

turbo addict

Re: turbo recommendation for 2.5L TIII

#3 for easy bolt on.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

#3 would be the easiest.....just as easy as stock TIII turbo actually. It came on the car when I bought it back in '08 and I've since had it rebuilt by TU. It was clearly built as a drop-in replacement for the stock TIII turbo. I would have to use a stock downpipe (which I have) so it would also save me some $$.

turbo addict

Sound like the answer right here... easy to bolt up, more power than stock... win/win.