Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T3 Cometic Head Gasket Coolant Leak

boostaholic

Re: T3 Cometic Head Gasket Coolant Leak

It's back together with a polished head bottom deck and block top deck. Aircraft sealant was used on the exposed surfaces of the gasket and on both the head and block. I'll pressurize the cooling system to see if coolant is leaking between the layers of the gasket tomorrow. If it leaks... well, we'll see where I go from here.

turbo addict

Each time I've reused a Cometic I've drilled out the rivets, cleaned each layer real well and then sprayed each side of each layer with copper gasket sealant. Don't go too thick on the spray on the inner layers, just a light coating so the copper color is nice & visible, too much and it will squish out into the cooling passages and potentially block them if it dries like that. Lay each layer on the block after spraying, then put the head on and torque down. No leaks any time I've done that. Results have been 50/50 upon removal of the head if the gasket is reuseable after that; sometimes one of the layers has gotten bent when pulling the head off since one end stuck to the block and the other to the head.

Hopefully this one will seal well for you.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCRT View Post
    A trick I learned from Neil Emiro and one that I use on all of my TIII's is to use a stock (FelPro) TII gasket and drill a few holes in the head to line up the cooling passages with the gasket. Now I can us any stock TII gasket and not have to worry about modification if something happens away from home base. I have been running this mod since around 2000 and Neil has used it prior to that. 21-25 psi has not been a problem and once the Holset goes on this winter we will look to up the ante.
    +1 to drilling a T2 gasket to match the T3 head. I pulled the head off the car last weekend and installed a drilled FelPro gasket. I'll put plates on the car and test it out over the next week or so, then pressure test the coolant system again to make sure things are still sealed up. In the mean time the car will be getting an all-new stainless steel exhaust since my old G body aluminized system that was on the car turned to swiss cheese over the last couple years.

I wanted to pull the head gasket anyway, as the starter quit working while the car was stored in my garage. The aftermarket starter only lasted a couple years before failing (likely because the heat shield turned to rust). I added some extra insulation/shielding to the new starter in an attempt to extend its life.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I hope the Viper isn't getting driven on those salted roads

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I hope the Viper isn't getting driven on those salted roads
    No worries about that, I have a 2003 S600 Mercedes for winter driving. I needed something with at least 600 lb-ft of torque for those cold days.

boostaholic

The car is back together with the re-worked Felpro head gasket. I drove the car every day this week and it has been great. The new 304 stainless steel exhaust sounds great as well.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jckrieger View Post
    +1 to drilling a T2 gasket to match the T3 head. I pulled the head off the car last weekend and installed a drilled FelPro gasket. I'll put plates on the car and test it out over the next week or so, then pressure test the coolant system again to make sure things are still sealed up. In the mean time the car will be getting an all-new stainless steel exhaust since my old G body aluminized system that was on the car turned to swiss cheese over the last couple years.

I wanted to pull the head gasket anyway, as the starter quit working while the car was stored in my garage. The aftermarket starter only lasted a couple years before failing (likely because the heat shield turned to rust). I added some extra insulation/shielding to the new starter in an attempt to extend its life.
    from my expriance the starter fail sounds like it's from lack of use
    most every fwd mopar I've let sit in the driveway for more than 3 months without trying to start them .. always ended up needing a starter after sitting unused

starter fails in 3 months of sitting .. rearview mirror always falls off the windshield at around 4 months lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12