Thread: suggestions in removing 29 year old Oxygen sensor

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

suggestions in removing 29 year old Oxygen sensor

Never been removed.
    I tried an O2 socket on a hot turbo with and without Kroil. But before I get the torch out I thought I would ask, any suggestions?

Once I get it apart, I assume I can use nickel antiseize on reassembly. I believe it is OK with an O2 sensor.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Re: suggestions in removing 29 year old Oxygen sensor

torch and PB blaster, and yes nickel anti-seize is fine just don't get it on the sensor.
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Mitsu booster

Here's what I did last time I had an O2 that reused to budge. After soaking with penetrant periodically for several days to no avail (although it may have helped in the end) I started the engine from cold (overnight). While it was warming up I would try to remove the sensor every 15 - 30 seconds or so. At some point during the warm up the sensor just broke free. Maybe this will help someone else.

Cut the wires since you are replacing it. Use a good box end wrench. You can hook another box end on that one to increase your torque. Make sure all force is applied and 90 degrees to the sensor!
    I cut the open end off a brand new wrench to slip a section of conduit over the wrench. Four foot leverage works really well.

Since I like to warp people's minds, I took the wrench back to OReilly and told the new sales woman that it broke (with a straight face) just to get a reaction!

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

I always take a hammer, break off everything but the bung with the hex (it breaks as easy as a spark plug), then put a 7/8" shorty impact socket on it. Much easier to get at with a nice breaker bar without the 'stem' in the way.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

If possible, hit it with an impact in conjunction with the Kroil. For a part like this it is key to the Kroil being able to do it's job. I'll do that a couple of times and then use a MAP gas torch to heat it for a bit. They generally come right out and the portion that the Kroil has gotten to is fairly evident.

Thanks all for the ideas, I hesitate to try the destructive techniques as the car is my DD.

Anyone have a good test for the O2 sensor? I read it should flip between rich and lean quickly but I am unsure how fast?

I have another O2 from my Shelby Z and easy way to test on the bench? I assume I can place 12V on the power lines and check out the response maybe even let it see a bit of nitrogen to remove any near by O2.

turbo addict

7/8 0r 22mm wrench and a hammer is all I ever needed on the tough one, but we don't snow here.

You test the o2 while in the car, either with scan tool or a multimeter. I don't know of anyway to bench test a o2 sensor. 12v will only heats up the sensor up (3 or 4 wires one), the sensor is suppose to produce 0-1v in the presence of oxygen.
    Last edited by tryingbe; 10-21-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Garrett booster

i've found this autozone loan a tool much better than the o2 socket --- http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...ch/948079_0_0/

Garrett booster

Here's what worked on my LeBaron. I can tell you it was never removed, because the wires were resoldered after the previous person tried and failed to remove it... for an '87, this is a 28 year old sensor.
    For a month, after driving the car, EVERY SINGLE TIME, I would soak the sensor in PB Blaster. This may have been overkill, but that's what I did.
    I had to cut the cables... this is also my DD but I had to roll the dice. There was just enough cable to resolder if we failed.
    Hood was removed. Socket placed on sensor (long socket) and 3 foot breaker bar applied. A pipe was used to extend the breaker bar an extra 2 feet. While someone stood over the engine bay, the other person made sure that no flexing was taking place.
    Maybe it was a miracle, but the sensor gave fairly easily from there.

I'm not saying this will work for you, but just sharing what I ended up having to do to get it off.
    Good luck!!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i second rob lloyd..... i always smash the old sensor off to get a 6 point socket in there with a breaker bar or ratchet/pipe.

works mint.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Well my O2 code has reset for now. I will test my spare sensor on the bench and will report back.
    Thanks for the suggestion!! You guys are the BEST!!!!

As a test run, I removed the O2 from an old Mitsubishi TD04 that was in a guy's back yard open to the elements for many years.
    I placed kroil on it every day for 2 week and it need 500lb torque from my impact to let go.

Well the good news after a run, I soaked with a kroil drip until a residue remained the the smoking stopped. I then followed Rob's suggestion, I was tough even with a 2 foot breaker bar but it worked little by little. Install new NTK and no error code.