Thread: Slicks and wheel offset...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

Slicks and wheel offset...

So, the slicks on my Charger are very old and look like they are dry rotting a bit. The size on them are 20x8x14....yeah, try to find that size anywhere now..lol. As it turns out, it doesn't look like they make hardly any 14" slicks anymore. Well I ran across a pair of 24.5x8.5x15 that was too good of a deal to pass up. I have been looking through old threads on what posters where using for wheels with this slick on an l body...stock wheels with spacers, 8" wheels with a minimum of 4 1/2 backspace etc. I'd like to use a 15x8 wheel. I have ran across a set with +25 offset. Would these clear the everything? I have been going over the math and I'm just not sure. Anyone care to share their wheel wisdom? .....thanx!
    Last edited by rdnoel86; 10-20-2015 at 06:20 AM.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Slicks and wheel offset...

Here is a handy tool that I use to figure out offsets and clearances.

Of course your slicks aren't going to be in P-metric sizes, but you can play around with sizes until you get close in dimension.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I'd have to check my notes but 4.375 BS is the min to barely graze the strut tube with the tire. I have a pair of 20x8x14 but are 20 years old, LOL that's all we could get back then! I think MT still makes them tho. Not sure what wheels you're looking for, but if you are looking for Bogart's, PM me...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Pretty sure the Motegi Traklites on the Charger are 15x7 and +35mm offset. My brother thinks they might be 15x8. hmmmmmmm (maybe I go check?)

This thread might help......http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ghlight=motegi

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

I'm guessing 15x7's....thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Pretty sure the Motegi Traklites on the Charger are 15x7 and +35mm offset. My brother thinks they might be 15x8. hmmmmmmm (maybe I go check?)

This thread might help......http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ghlight=motegi
    - - - Updated - - -

Hmmm...do I see a change to 5 lug in my future?? lol....I'll pm you.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I'd have to check my notes but 4.375 BS is the min to barely graze the strut tube with the tire. I have a pair of 20x8x14 but are 20 years old, LOL that's all we could get back then! I think MT still makes them tho. Not sure what wheels you're looking for, but if you are looking for Bogart's, PM me...
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanx Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Here is a handy tool that I use to figure out offsets and clearances.

Of course your slicks aren't going to be in P-metric sizes, but you can play around with sizes until you get close in dimension.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    They're not in the 2015 catalog. Might be worth a phone call though.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

I have a pair of weld 8.25"x15" with a 5" bs on my 4 door L body. They fit good when I was running a 24.5" slick. I do run coil overs so that may aid in running a larger bs.

boostaholic

so you are going from 20" slicks to 24.5"?

Yes, the car was an EC/SS NA drag car. It ran high 12's with just under 300 hp from what I understand. I'm going to an SRT-4 engine with quite a bit more hp and feel I will need a taller tire....

Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    so you are going from 20" slicks to 24.5"?
    - - - Updated - - -

8.25 wide? It that a stock wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    I have a pair of weld 8.25"x15" with a 5" bs on my 4 door L body. They fit good when I was running a 24.5" slick. I do run coil overs so that may aid in running a larger bs.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by rdnoel86 View Post
    Yes, the car was an EC/SS NA drag car. It ran high 12's with just under 300 hp from what I understand. I'm going to an SRT-4 engine with quite a bit more hp and feel I will need a taller tire....

- - - Updated - - -

8.25 wide? It that a stock wheel?
    http://m.summitracing.com/parts/wld-766b-50815

Those are nice! A little more then I want to spend right now though....lol

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by rdnoel86 View Post
    Those are nice! A little more then I want to spend right now though....lol
    Yeah they are pricey. I was really just trying to give you a idea of what size works on my L body, not really suggesting any specific brand of wheel. When running a wider wheel it's nice to run as much back space as possible to keep the wheel from sticking out of the fender too far.

turbo addict

My 95 SOHC Neon went quicker with the newly put on 215/60/14 M/T SS Dots than with the 205/50/14s. Thought the extra 2.1" dia and 1 lb each extra wt would hurt overall performance but didn't. Short times were the same, and 1/8th was a bit over a tenth quicker, a bit over 2 tenths quicker in the 1/4...same air conditions as my last two outings. Never had traction troubles with the shorter tires, just had too many red lights. A few benefits...I don't use 4th any more in the 1/4, no need to air up the tires for the drive home, and less rpm on the hiway. Your car would NOT hook on these, but just saying that sometimes a car likes a different tire diameter. Makes me think tht next season I might use the shorter M/T tires that came off the Neon on Matchbox...I currently use tiny 20.5 x 7 x 13 Hoosier road racing tires...it'd be nice to drive somewhere and NOT change tires to go racing.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

turbo addict

Also...don't know if you can get rims to clear your stuff, but M & H has several 13" slicks...several sizes.
    http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Racema...s#.ViepLH6rRdg
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

That is a good selection of sizes, more then I thought there would be for a 13" rim......

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    Also...don't know if you can get rims to clear your stuff, but M & H has several 13" slicks...several sizes.
    http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Racema...s#.ViepLH6rRdg

I passed on the wheels I had come across, going to try for more offset. I did come across some Traklite 2's for 109.00 each shipped that has peaked my interest. And still waiting for JT to log back in to see what he has in mind for his Bogarts....