Thread: 10 years is too long. Getting back to my GLHT

Hybrid booster

10 years is too long. Getting back to my GLHT

A little info on my car. It's a 1985 Dodge Omni GLHT that I bought in 2007 for $1000 with a blown engine but no rust underneath, and only surface rust on the roof & hood. I went to Carlisle that year, and then attempted Mopar Nationals on Brice Road when the turbo went. The car has been moved from my dad's house to storage but other than that not much else. I had previously bought a replacement turbo but tore it down since it was a t1/t2 hybrid, and the EGR port didn't line up or something.

Fast Forward to today... After getting notice the car is going to be towed from storage for flat tires I've got the bug to get her back on the road. I know the fuel system needs some work since it has sat for so long, and I still need to do the turbo repair, and also replace the grill since I had broken it after the turbo died... I had anger issues back then lol. I still have part of it so for now I will epoxy it back together. The tires are badly dry rotted so I am gonna have a set mounted on a set of snowflake wheels I had in my Dad's garage, and be able to get the car from storage. The car runs but not all that well. May be low fuel pressure, may be low battery voltage. His house is about two blocks from the storage unit so it should make it home ok.

Once I get the car to his house the diagnosis will begin, along with teardown.

turbo addict

Re: 10 years is too long. Getting back to my GLHT

I'd plan to replace the fuel tank and fuel pump.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I'd plan to replace the fuel tank and fuel pump.
    I'm intrigued. I'm curious, not doubting what you say but wanting to learn more and always eager to gain more knowledge. I understand about the tank, but why the fuel pump as well? At this point I don't know what the fuel pressure is but plan on checking it once I get the car back home.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeglht View Post
    I'm intrigued. I'm curious, not doubting what you say but wanting to learn more and always eager to gain more knowledge. I understand about the tank, but why the fuel pump as well? At this point I don't know what the fuel pressure is but plan on checking it once I get the car back home.
    I'm betting it will be zero or close to zero FP. Tank AND pump are your best starting point. Plan on bleeding brakes and flushing coolant, oil change, rubber fuel line replacement etc. Be sure there's no critter nest in the airbox as well. It will be good to get it back on the road, start a build log thread

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

😊 thanks for the suggestions. I definitely plan on oil since I am replacing the turbo. The car has some pressure as it will run although down a cylinder. Brake fluid bleeding is definitely on the list as is coolant. No critters in the airbox. Already checked that out lol. Once I get her home I plan on cleaning her up and starting the diagnostics along with project log on the progress. 👍

Hybrid booster

Here's a pic of the car after I got her running in 2007. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	56468

- - - Updated - - -

And as the car sits now before installing the new tires

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	56469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	56470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	56471
    Last edited by Dodgeglht; 10-15-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Hybrid booster

I got the tires mounted and installed, put a couple gallons of gas in the tank, and hooked up the battery. The battery is junk, as it needed to jump, even after charging the battery. In addition the left rear wheel was locked. I got the left rear wheel freed so now the car can roll. It doesn't exactly run well at the moment, and not sure why. I'm guessing low fuel pressure but not certain. I am going to get a fuel pressure tester to see. It drove and ran under its own power when I took her to storage, and on all 4 cylinders but is now down a cylinder. I already replaced the spark plugs with a set of spares that I had in the car's took kit but it's still down a cylinder. Worse case scenario I will have to have the car towed out of storage. Car looks pretty mean on the new rubber though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0351.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	56466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0352.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	56467

Hybrid booster