Thread: Lancer v LeBaron Dilemma

Garrett booster

Lancer v LeBaron Dilemma

I need the input of guys who have gone thru this dilemma.

I own an '87 LeBaron, 2.2L TI. Since I've owned the car the head gasket, rear brake line, all drum hardware and shoes, front brakes and rotors, front wheel bearings, headlight cover and window motors, water pump, timing belt, shift cables and two tires have been replaced, all for brand new goodies. Also, the turbo was rebuilt and boosts the way God intended! The catch? Car was involved in a black ice incident, suffered cosmetic front end damage. It has been fully replaced but the car is two-tone paint now. The car is rusty, not horribly, but rusty. THis has been my daily driver for almost 2 years and I love it.

As fate would have it, an '87 Lancer ES has found its way to my garage... This one is black on black, minimal rust 2.2L TI as well. Fully optioned (digi dash, power everything, 12 button EVIC, overhead digital console, etc.). Aside from this info, the condition of the rest of the car is unknown and will probably require some work (not a problem).

But as the wife would have it, I may have to choose between one of the cars. It's on this decision that I need some advice... I know people out there have had to make this tough decision, how do you see it?

Re: Lancer v LeBaron Dilemma

Just joking but how long have you been married.

A guy told his wife she looked like his ex wife when she started a long bitching rant. She screamed that he never told her he had been married before. He said "I haven't!"

On the serious side, if the Lancer has 15" wheels, it should have the sport suspension. I have 1.2.3 of them plus a Shelby Lancer.

turbo addict

2/4 door 87 LeBaron vs 4 door 87 Lancer ES?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    Just joking but how long have you been married.

A guy told his wife she looked like his ex wife when she started a long bitching rant. She screamed that he never told her he had been married before. He said "I haven't!"

On the serious side, if the Lancer has 15" wheels, it should have the sport suspension. I have 1.2.3 of them plus a Shelby Lancer.
    That's a messed up joke! And I still laughed... Yeah, the Lancer has the pizza wheels, 15". That's an impressive collection, and I'm talking about just the Shelby alone.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    2/4 door 87 LeBaron vs 4 door 87 Lancer ES?
    2 door LeBaron (hideaway lights) vs 4 door Lancer (with voice alerts!)

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

tell her to piss off. (kindly) she is your wife, not your mom. too many dudes bend over and throw away fun. fun is essential.

keep them both.

one as winter beater, one as keep-it-from-rusting summer car.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

Woah... I think I presented the dilemma in the wrong light. The issue is not so much me vs my wife. It's really a matter of which car deserves the most attention for longevity. We have a Dodge Caliber that I will drive until the planet runs out of fossil fuels. THAT one can rust to oblivion. Keeping both cars is not my style. I'd like to have one to focus on and to bring to its full potential. I agree though, fun is essential!! That's why that turbo is my DD!

turbo addict

Got kid or kid on the way? Keep the 4 door...

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Got kid or kid on the way? Keep the 4 door...
    The kid is already here! Along with another one that's been here! That's why I love the idea of a 4 door sleeper.
    I can't stick a baby seat in the LeBaron. As usual I appreciate all the input from this forum, I'll start a new thread for the Lancer if that's what ends up happening.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I would part out the LeBaron and keep the good stuff like engine, Trans, fuel pump, electrical,

I parted out a 88' Daytona Shelby Z with S60 last February (at 0F in my garage, uggg) and the updated parts are gradually making their way into my '87 Sundance.

Hybrid booster

Another vote for the Lancer, assuming the LeBaron is a convertible. If a coupe then it might be a coin toss for me.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Garrett booster

If you decide to sell the Lancer please let me know!!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    tell her to piss off. (kindly) she is your wife, not your mom. too many dudes bend over and throw away fun. fun is essential.

keep them both.

one as winter beater, one as keep-it-from-rusting summer car.

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by fcasta308 View Post
    Woah... I think I presented the dilemma in the wrong light. The issue is not so much me vs my wife. It's really a matter of which car deserves the most attention for longevity. We have a Dodge Caliber that I will drive until the planet runs out of fossil fuels. THAT one can rust to oblivion. Keeping both cars is not my style. I'd like to have one to focus on and to bring to its full potential. I agree though, fun is essential!! That's why that turbo is my DD!
    sorry. i was super cranky yesterday for some strange reason. I was projecting some of my friends awful wives into this scenario and that isnt fair to your and your wife.... neither of whom I really know.

good luck on your decision. id keep whatever is less rusty. id still try to keep a rusty winter beater around though.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

No worries Aries_Turbo, trust me, I know where you're coming from. Luckily, this is not quite the case for me.
    The LeBaron is a coupe, so yes, it's been a toin coss for me as well.
    I'm leaning towards making the move to the Lancer, I'd just hate to let go of a reliable (albeit little rough on the eyes) car. I survived the terrible winter in IL last year in that thing!
    I also don't know if I can go back to an auto trans car what with all the fun driving a 5 speed entails... I have some time to decide though, I'm going back to sitting on my thinky chair

Hybrid booster

The plot thickens!

5 speed LeBaron coupe just nosed ahead of the automatic Lancer.

Sell Lancer and use some proceeds for a cheap Maaco paint job to lose the two tone paint, win! Practicality is saying that's a poor choice, and to keep the Lancer though. Kid seats, can the wife drive a 5 speed, rust, hmm. Glad this isn't my dilemma!
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Go with the Lancer, it has four doors. it looks nice, its more unique than Lebaron, and it should ride nicer than the LeBaron. But, I've owned four H bodies so maybe I'm a little swayed. Heck, you should bring it to our SDAC-Chicago meet this Saturday !

J.R.

I vote for the Lancer...I have an 87 Shelby Lancer and love the four doors.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeman87 View Post
    Go with the Lancer, it has four doors. it looks nice, its more unique than Lebaron, and it should ride nicer than the LeBaron. But, I've owned four H bodies so maybe I'm a little swayed. Heck, you should bring it to our SDAC-Chicago meet this Saturday !

J.R.
    That wouldn't be a bad idea, it's Jakub that got me in this mess in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Fields View Post
    I vote for the Lancer...I have an 87 Shelby Lancer and love the four doors.
    Shoot, if this was a Shelby Lancer there would be no question as to what to do.

Do any of the Lancer advocates have spare ground effects for it? That would also make the decision easier!
    I actually drove the Lancer yesterday. VERY, VERY ROUGH RIDE. The car rattles A LOT when in idle, as soon as you hit the gas, all is quiet... But aside from that, the car feels very solid. Bucket seats are quite comfortable. Auto trans is sticky, my clutch foot was twitching while waiting for the trans to shift on its own.
    Meanwhile, I drove the LeBaron 30+ miles to work today, boosting to 9 psi at will!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Lancer.
    I may have ground effects and a deck spoiler.
    If you decide to sell, send me some photos,

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

Lancer. The H body is simply a great platform: nice handling, yet still very utilitarian (4 doors, hatch, great visibility).

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

Garrett booster

Update: So as of this morning I am under a verbal contract to purchase the Lancer. I can't confirm that this is a done deal until I have the title in my hand. But it looks as though this Lancer will be staying with me for now!

The car will need revised brakes/brake lines FIRST. It probably will not be driven until next summer to avoid the winter salt.

Thank you to everyone for your input, it is much appreciated.
    ajakeski, I might be contacting you about those ground effects soon!