Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is anyone running an Ostrich and been able to get MP Scan or MP Scandroid to work?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Is anyone running an Ostrich and been able to get MP Scan or MP Scandroid to work

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Would I do this at the USB end or the serial end? If USB, do you happen to know which of the pins I would jumper? I can test this for sure.
    basically, it would be on the serial end, i.e. tie the orange and yellow wires together, or since you have a 6 pin connector just stick a paperclip in the pin openings. in mptune under setup/com port there is a VERY simple program that tests the ftdi cable can communicate on the tx/rx lines. if that works then obviously the connector to/from the ecu isn't working.

the log file should look like this basically when it works.

mpscan ver - 2.0.3.0 (8/13/2015 08:49:04 AM)
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - Win32NT
    trying to open port COM1 - ctlrecord_click
    got a good port back - ctlrecord_click
    try to open port COM1 -initport
    COM1 is a legit port -initport
    usb is available on COM1 -initport
    usb ftdi serial number 12WQC1T3 is available - initport
    setting port baud rate to 976
    ftdi open successful on COM1 -usbportinit
    using protocol LM:0
    attempt to change ecu baud rate to 7812
    Sending byte 18
    Received 1 byte(s): 255
    Sending byte 18
    Received 1 byte(s): 255
    Changing mpscan baud rate to 7812
    Sending byte 18
    Received 1 byte(s): 123
    Sending byte 18
    Received 1 byte(s): 18
    Byte 18 was sent 2 times to make the change.
    usb ftdi
    Successfully opened port - ctlrecord_click
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Re: Is anyone running an Ostrich and been able to get MP Scan or MP Scandroid to work

Dang it, I got it working. :-\ I swapped the wires on the LM for TxD wired to RxD and vice versa. While I feel like a huge idiot, I still can't get it working with MPScanDroid. Any suggestions on that? I plan to uninstall and then reinstall the software again on my phone, but is there anything else I need to consider?

BTW, thanks for the help with this. The attention and quick response is greatly appreciated, as always.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

This is from the Android log eculog.txt

Try to connect to ecu using LM protocol at 1444253474112
    low baud set to 976 and hi baud set to 7812
    error opening usb port
    sending byte -2 with confirm of 0
    sending byte -2 with confirm of 0
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

jon - i'll look at the droid version later this week. its been a long time and my guess is that i've changed the way the protocols work. just by looking at that log file i can see it's not sending the correct data. sorry.

btw, when you get a moment to do a scan log i'ld like to see it as well as the two communication log files.

thx.

mt

jon - looking at that brief log file you posted does indicate that the program cannot find/access the usb port. what are you using for cables/phone/etc. you need an otg cable to plug the ftdi cable into. i'll do some digging but there may be a setting you need to change on your phone. there are some play store progs i believe that let you check your otg connection.

I have an OTG cable, tested with a mouse so it does work. I didn't make any setting changes for that to work. The FTDI cable is from Rob, a 5v one that goes into the OTG cable. Running Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4. I was thinking that there was something maybe on the phone that needed to be set, but don't know where to look. I had a Nexus 7 that was yielding the same errors, although I did not check the logs when running it. Btw, where are the scan logs located? I don't see any other logs than the one I posted. The folder was located under storage > emulated > 0 > Android > data > com.mpsuite.xxxxxx. There is only one log file, which I posted the contents of above.

On a side note, is there any development or plans to port the apk to Linux? I was playing with the package and ran into some errors, so I haven't really pushed it. There are some Chrome APK extension tweaks that allow SOME Android apks to run in the app store, but without knowing development of an app really well, it's hard to know if there is a lot missing or if I just don't know what I'm doing or a combo of both.

On a side note, is there any development or plans to port the apk to Linux? I was playing with the package and ran into some errors, so I haven't really pushed it. There are some Chrome APK extension tweaks that allow SOME Android apks to run in the app store, but without knowing development of an app really well, it's hard to know if there is a lot missing or if I just don't know what I'm doing or a combo of both.
    i have looked at porting mpscandroid to a java jar file, that way all you need to do is install the java runtime environment and the same program "should" run on windows, linux, etc. the software that i use for the droid version also has a java version that should allow porting with not a whole lot of work (i think). unfortunately i need to get the droid version working better before i try it. sorry.

****edit****
    this is from the vendors website:

"The compiled apps can run on Windows, Mac, Linux and ARM boards (such as Raspberry Pi)."

Man, I know you have a lot going on with this, especially responding to issues like mine and others. I got it to "load" as an app in Chrome, but it didn't load as it should. It was worth a shot to try it though. Kinda neat to work out some of the bugs I ran into though. I love programming, when it works.

In less than 10 minutes, I got ARCWelder to run the MPScandroid on Windows. I wish I knew Linux better, but it's stuff like this that makes me wonder why I want to mess with it in the first place.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

I think Bucar had a USB connector wired up at one time and had it soldered on the board somewhere, but I don't remember where.
    i have a LM with a schmartboard serial adapter soldered directly to the microprocessor. i didnt have to (or even have the ability to with that adapter) invert when soldered to the MCU. i used that setup since 2006 to log with old school chem, jeff chojnacki's lmlog, and winlog with risens plugin on a laptop with a native rs232.

i have mscan working on my reliant with a ftdi cable and robs adapter but the data is bogus

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i have a LM with a schmartboard serial adapter soldered directly to the microprocessor. i didnt have to (or even have the ability to with that adapter) invert when soldered to the MCU. i used that setup since 2006 to log with old school chem, jeff chojnacki's lmlog, and winlog with risens plugin on a laptop with a native rs232.

i have mscan working on my reliant with a ftdi cable and robs adapter but the data is bogus
    Thanks Bucar, I knew you had done it some way. I REALLY want to log with MPScandroid though. Might have to JUUUUUST buy a tablet and make it work.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

a tablet? for the usb host port? shouldnt it work on your phone?

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    a tablet? for the usb host port? shouldnt it work on your phone?
    That's what I'm trying to get to work that Morris is going to look into and see if there is anything that needs to be changed/set on my phone. I have the OTG adapter and have tested it with a USB mouse, so I know it is working. Just not sure if I'm doing anything wrong or what. Morris pointed out something that I'm sure Rob asked me before to check, so I got the Windows version working. I would think the Android would work as well.

Morris, would it be an issue with permissions at all? It did install and there are files that have been written to.

jon - i think mpscandroid just doesn't work very well. i spent some time working on the windows version for nick to try on his smec t2 (and also a sbec2 t1 i hope). i started looking at the droid version last week. i should be able to spend some "quality" time on it again this week to hopefully get you something that you can try. need to figure out how to get the lm and t2 protocols incorporated into the droid version. the communications are really difficult using a ftdi cable version a regular rs232 cable.

regarding permissions. when mpscandroid is installed it should ask you to allow the permissions it needs. after that it should work.

Sounds good! Thanks Morris! Let me know if you want me to do anything or try anything.

BTW, how do I remove the app? I don't see an uninstall option and I can't find it in my apps section on my phone.
    Last edited by minigts; 10-12-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Morris will you have time this weekend or soon to look over the Android version? Is there any troubleshooting I can do like invoke some sort of monitoring on the Android device I use to see what is happening when the ECU is connected?

sorry jon - haven't had time to focus on the droid version, plus i just ruined by testing ecu so need to set up another flashable smec first. i'm also waiting to hear back from a couple guys running LM ecus using the windows version. i had updated the protocol to work with the t2 and also the lm but the LM test versions were not working. so once i can confirm the protocol works for the LM in the windows version i'll jump back into the droid version.

btw - my plan in the future is to get my arduino box working so i can avoid this darn usb cable stuff and just interface directly with the ecu using the basic ttl serial protocols and then transmit the data in bulk via wifi or bluetooth. then either get boards developed or just publish the specs and people can build there own. it'ld make the phone side SO much easier to do.

***edit***
    do you have mpscan running on a laptop with an ftdi cable? if so i'ld like to send you a test version also to help confirm the protocol stuff. lmk.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    sorry jon - haven't had time to focus on the droid version, plus i just ruined by testing ecu so need to set up another flashable smec first. i'm also waiting to hear back from a couple guys running LM ecus using the windows version. i had updated the protocol to work with the t2 and also the lm but the LM test versions were not working. so once i can confirm the protocol works for the LM in the windows version i'll jump back into the droid version.

btw - my plan in the future is to get my arduino box working so i can avoid this darn usb cable stuff and just interface directly with the ecu using the basic ttl serial protocols and then transmit the data in bulk via wifi or bluetooth. then either get boards developed or just publish the specs and people can build there own. it'ld make the phone side SO much easier to do.

***edit***
    do you have mpscan running on a laptop with an ftdi cable? if so i'ld like to send you a test version also to help confirm the protocol stuff. lmk.
    I do have mpscan on a windows laptop and the FTDI cable. Send me whatever files you need to at my username (minigts) at a gmail account and I can get it loaded tomorrow and tested or whenever you can get it to me. No problem though, your help is always appreciated, as well as your available time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12