Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone running an Ostrich and been able to get MP Scan or MP Scandroid to work?

Is anyone running an Ostrich and been able to get MP Scan or MP Scandroid to work?

I've been having an issue with getting MP Scan or MP Scandroid to connect to my LM in my GLHS. I was able to get my laptop and MP Scan to connect to my Lancer, but still not with MP Scandroid. Just wondering if anyone has been able to get this to work correctly with the combo of an LM, an Ostrich and either of the two MP Scan platforms.

I'm starting this separately from some other threads I've seen, mainly because I want to know who else has theirs working with this combo.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Is anyone running an Ostrich and been able to get MP Scan or MP Scandroid to work

mpscan/mpscandroid will not work with an ostrich. the ostrich does not provide access to the ram locations. however, i don't think i ever tried using mpscan connected through the sci connector with an ostrich installed running the bin. what is your connection setup?

i'll need to look at mpscandroid again. last time i tried running it on my phone it bombed out. don't know if one of the various OS updates bricked it.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Re: Is anyone running an Ostrich and been able to get MP Scan or MP Scandroid to work

What is the SCI connector? Is this something on the Ostrich? Currently I have the LM with a socket, ribbon cable to the Ostrich and then from there I have a USB connector that I can run to my laptop to program. I have an FTDI cable connected to the LM using the wires Tx, Rx and the ground. I don't have the service connector installed, but I do have the wires connected to the solder points on the board where those wires go. I have triple checked this setup to know that the Tx and Rx are wired correctly. I basically soldered three wires and then used some parts from old computers I had lying around to mate up to the FTDI connector, so I didn't cut or solder those wires since they were such a small gauge. Here is how I have it wired. Please keep in mind, I checked online about which wires were which on the FTDI cable and I have the service manual for the LM wires AND I traced them to their respective places on the connector.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LM_wiring2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	56399 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LM-wiring.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	56400

I DO have a chip I could probably swap out from the Lancer and plug into the computer and then test to confirm if it is truly the Ostrich. I mean, I believe you, but I can't rule out other issues with this car. The power loss light, for instance, doesn't flash codes after three key turns like my other cars. Never has and even with multiple computers, it has never done this. So it really could be an issue with the car. But if you know the Ostrich RAM can't be accessed, then I'm out of luck I guess. Unless you have another solution?

Gonna pull the Ostrich, maybe there is something there I can access maybe?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The SCI is the OBD-1 connector.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

jon - let me find a spare ecu and see if you can run the ostrich and ftdi cable at the same time. i may have posted about it along time ago but just don't remember now if that worked. it'll be a week or so before i can get to it. leaving town.

Well if you can get it working or let me know how I can get it working, I would be very grateful. I understand some things are out of scope of what you can do, especially when it comes to 3rd party hardware. I will say, there was a lot of development from Moates and it seems very open source, so it may be a matter of understanding their hardware. I know that would be a one-off for anything related to the Ostrich, but ANY help is very appreciated. And I certainly don't mind paying for support. You've done a ton for this community and it is WELL worth any money spent for what we can do with a car that is 30+ years old.

Thanks a ton and whenever you get back and can get to it, I am very appreciative!

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    What is the SCI connector? Is this something on the Ostrich? Currently I have the LM with a socket, ribbon cable to the Ostrich and then from there I have a USB connector that I can run to my laptop to program. I have an FTDI cable connected to the LM using the wires Tx, Rx and the ground. I don't have the service connector installed, but I do have the wires connected to the solder points on the board where those wires go. I have triple checked this setup to know that the Tx and Rx are wired correctly. I basically soldered three wires and then used some parts from old computers I had lying around to mate up to the FTDI connector, so I didn't cut or solder those wires since they were such a small gauge. Here is how I have it wired. Please keep in mind, I checked online about which wires were which on the FTDI cable and I have the service manual for the LM wires AND I traced them to their respective places on the connector.

Name:	LM_wiring2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	56399 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LM-wiring.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	56400

I DO have a chip I could probably swap out from the Lancer and plug into the computer and then test to confirm if it is truly the Ostrich. I mean, I believe you, but I can't rule out other issues with this car. The power loss light, for instance, doesn't flash codes after three key turns like my other cars. Never has and even with multiple computers, it has never done this. So it really could be an issue with the car. But if you know the Ostrich RAM can't be accessed, then I'm out of luck I guess. Unless you have another solution?

Gonna pull the Ostrich, maybe there is something there I can access maybe?
    That doesn't look right. According to the data sheet here, page 10; Rx and Tx are pins 4 & 5; GND is Pin 1. But, you have pins 1, 2, & 3 hooked up. 2 & 3 are CTS and VCC. This is the first reason it's not working.

It could be that the Ostrich is keeping the LM logic circuits powered up. That would be why you don't get a CEL after 3 turns. The LM logic circuit probably doesn't actually see the power turn off.

And, wowzer is right, the ostrich only replaces the EPROM. It doesn't replace the entire memory map of the LM. So, the Ostrich can't see the RAM (which is on-board the processor). But, I don't see any reason you couldn't use MP Scan with the Ostrich the same way you can with a chip. Unless there's some kind of FTDI conflict on the PC-side. I think the Ostrich also uses an FTDI USB chip, so it's possible.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

mpscan and mptune should be able to work together. see this post.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...=1#post1040239

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    That doesn't look right. According to the data sheet here, page 10; Rx and Tx are pins 4 & 5; GND is Pin 1. But, you have pins 1, 2, & 3 hooked up. 2 & 3 are CTS and VCC. This is the first reason it's not working.

It could be that the Ostrich is keeping the LM logic circuits powered up. That would be why you don't get a CEL after 3 turns. The LM logic circuit probably doesn't actually see the power turn off.

And, wowzer is right, the ostrich only replaces the EPROM. It doesn't replace the entire memory map of the LM. So, the Ostrich can't see the RAM (which is on-board the processor). But, I don't see any reason you couldn't use MP Scan with the Ostrich the same way you can with a chip. Unless there's some kind of FTDI conflict on the PC-side. I think the Ostrich also uses an FTDI USB chip, so it's possible.
    The picture is old, but I moved the wires around on the connector for the FTDI cable so it would allow me to have a 3 pin connector mate with the 6 pin FTDI connector. All diagrams I found had the colors matching the same for TxD and RxD, so I went with that pairing. The other cable I purchased from you, got slammed in the door and I had to get a new one. At that point, I checked (again) the solder connections and pinout of what I had connected originally and verified everything was correct. It was, so everything is wired correctly. I do have some LM terminals and could just re-terminate those to connect to through the connector to verify that is done correctly, but whether on the board soldered or through the connector, I don't see the difference.

The CEL issue is not related to the Ostrich connected to the LM. This was the case with the stock LM that had not been modified at all. When I got the car, it wouldn't do it and continues NOT to do it with multiple LMs, some modified, some not modified. I think I tried 4 different ones and the results were the same. I'm assuming there is something in the ignition circuitry that is causing this problem, I just haven't pulled the column to look and see.

The Ostrich only connects to the PC when I'm programming, not when the car is normally driven. I'm with you, I don't see why it wouldn't work since the Ostrich basically is just a chip extender that is programmable. I could also move the Ostich to the Lancer and test that to see if THAT LM would allow both to be run at the same time.

i think the wiring is ok, based on the fact that you are using the orange(TX), yellow(Rx), and black(Gnd) wires on the ftdi cable, even tho the "order" is different. obviously the ftdi tx signal needs to go to the lm rx line and so on. isn't there a difference on whether you set the tx/rx invert flags on the ftdi cable depending on if you use the sci connector vs soldering directly to the lm? if need be you can use the simple port tester in mptune (under the setup for the com port) to see if your ftdi cable is working.

I've been having an issue with getting MP Scan or MP Scandroid to connect to my LM in my GLHS. I was able to get my laptop and MP Scan to connect to my Lancer, but still not with MP Scandroid. Just wondering if anyone has been able to get this to work correctly with the combo of an LM, an Ostrich and either of the two MP Scan platforms.

I'm starting this separately from some other threads I've seen, mainly because I want to know who else has theirs working with this combo.

post up the log files that are generated when you try to connect with mpscan. might give a clue. (mpscanport.txt and mpt2coms.txt)

I have the wires set to inverted in the cable, but I will double/triple check that. It is a new cable, maybe I forgot to set it. I did have it set on the first cable though. I'll report back.

As for using the SCI or soldering directly, I don't know why they would be different though. The ground, TxD and RxD are the only wires needed, correct? And the adapter Rob sells only uses those 3. I asked Rob about that connector and the chip on the board he had on there and it's only for the SMEC or SBEC, one of those. Other than that, the adapter he sells is a direct pin to pin connector.

But I know what you're saying. I've heard that there are places on the chip or pins that have to be soldered, not at the connector. But whether the FTDI is soldered to the board where the SCI connector comes in or you use the SCI connector with Rob's adapter, I don't see the difference. I think Bucar had a USB connector wired up at one time and had it soldered on the board somewhere, but I don't remember where.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    post up the log files that are generated when you try to connect with mpscan. might give a clue. (mpscanport.txt and mpt2coms.txt)
    Will do. Let me get out there and check everything and I'll try to connect and get back to you!

here is a post that had me thinking about the LM invert issue. i was thinking if you soldered directly to the mcu pins you didn't need to invert. i'm over my head here tho. somebody else?!!!! but if you just soldered to the sci pins you should be ok (i.e. need to invert).

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?42191-Logworks-plugin-for-SMEC-SBEC-LM&p=701953&viewfull=1#post701953

Here is what I've found:

MPScanPort.txt

mpscan ver - 2.0.3.1 (10/7/2015 12:11:02 PM)
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate - Win32NT
    trying to open port COM22 - ctlrecord_click
    got a good port back - ctlrecord_click
    try to open port COM22 -initport
    COM22 is a legit port -initport
    usb is available on COM22 -initport
    usb ftdi serial number FTZ45C6Y is available - initport
    [usbportinit] setting port baud rate to 976
    ftdi open successful on COM22 -usbportinit
    using protocol LM:0
    attempt to change ecu baud rate to 7812
    Sending byte 18
    Received 0 byte(s): 0
    Read confirm byte failed (status:0 - count:0)
    Sending byte 18
    usbsethibaud failed - usbportinit
    ftdi open unsuccessful - usbportinit
    Sending byte 254
    Sending byte 254
    can't open ftdi port - usbportinit
    Unable to open/setup port. - ctlrecord_click

Tried this with the signals inverted and not inverted.

mpt2coms.txt

-Comport analysis for mpscan version 2.0.3.1 (10/7/2015 12:10:55 PM)
    -Locating ports on computer-
    name:USB Serial Port (COM22) deviceid:FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+FTZ45C6YA\0000
    number of ftdi devices found - 1
    ftdi port num:COM22 serial num:FTZ45C6Y
    Inverted tx:False Inverted rx:False
    Vcp driver loaded:True
    Latency is set to:2
    checking to see if usb port number COM22 is a moates device
    Moates device not located on this port
    default com port set to:COM22

-Comport analysis for mpscan version 2.0.3.1 (10/7/2015 12:04:31 PM)
    -Locating ports on computer-
    name:USB Serial Port (COM22) deviceid:FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+FTZ45C6YA\0000
    number of ftdi devices found - 1
    ftdi port num:COM22 serial num:FTZ45C6Y
    Inverted tx:True Inverted rx:True
    Vcp driver loaded:True
    Latency is set to:2
    checking to see if usb port number COM22 is a moates device
    Moates device not located on this port
    default com port set to:COM22

Pics below of settings.

Name:	lm_pic3.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	56403 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lm_pic2.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	56402

Name:	lm_pic4.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	56404 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lm_pic6.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	56406 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lm_pic5.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	56405

Name:	lm_pic7.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	56407 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lm_pic1.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	56401

hmm - you are not getting any response at all from the ecu. try jumpering(?) the tx/rx lines of the ftdi cable and make sure it responds using the port tester program in mptune

Would I do this at the USB end or the serial end? If USB, do you happen to know which of the pins I would jumper? I can test this for sure.

Is your FTDI cable 5v or 3.3v?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Whichever one you sell. I want to say it's a 3.3v.

Whichever one you sell. I want to say it's a 3.3v.
    Oh, it's the one you got form me? It's a 5v then (which is what it should be). It should say on the USB connector at any rate...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast