Thread: NEED little help on turbos

Mitsu booster

NEED little help on turbos

currently running garrett t2 turbo. I feel the 2.5 in my van (home ported head intake and exhaust manifold) could use something with a little more lag but more steam up top. Questiois I have turbos from previous project (Volvo 2.3l in a 240 wagon) first is a mitsu td0617-c from 6 cyl diesel second is a garrett I don't know much about it says .60a/r on cold side and .67 a/r on hot side from a Isuzu diesel cold side wheel measures 60.3mm at bottom and 46.3mm at top. Which would be better for the 2.5? The td06-17c was a little slow to spool on the 2.3l Volvo but when it did !!!! The garrett I'm yet to run so don't know which of them would be better. Van has stage5 fwd computer +40 inj 3bar map 255 walbro pump intercooler aict sensor 3" exhaust balance shafts removed. What do you think? Am I better off with some form of ebay tubo? mounting and clocking not an issue I'm a fabricator and sandwich plates for exh flange are no problem!

turbo addict

Re: NEED little help on turbos

Neither.

Buy something that is design for dodge so it will fit and work first time around.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...s-now-in-stock!

If you still have a 1 piece intake manifold, cut it open and fix the elbow or buy a better intake manifold.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...t-reweled.html

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...Intake-is-BACK!

turbo addict

Im thinking a cam may help too, I know that it has to help a 2.5 breath a little better up top. I also agree with tryingbe on the intake setup, they really hold our engines back. what turbine flange is the diesel turbo? like a t4?

Mitsu booster

deciding what to do with intake. Looking for affordable 2 piece but seem hard to come by. Has any one cut the 1 piece elbow off, capped it then welded a bigger more gentle elbow dead center facing forward over the fuel rail? just a thought and easy to do. Also need a recommendation for an affordable yet effective intercooler.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I don't think the charge piping would fit over the valve cover on most body styles, but I could be wrong. Look up Warren Stramer and take a look at his setup.

But regardless of whether it would 'work' as far as space, it wouldn't do what you probably think it will. The 1pc has a small plenum volume, a severe turn from the plenum to the runners, runners are too long, and runner CSA is too small. Relocating the plenum entrance wouldn't help any of those issues. There ARE plenty of people who have 'fixed' 1 pc intakes by chopping out the backside and mostly gutting the insides and enlarging the runners. There is a fairly proven path to follow if you want to go down that road.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I don't think the charge piping would fit over the valve cover on most body styles, but I could be wrong. Look up Warren Stramer and take a look at his setup.
    Should be plenty of room for that on a Minivan.

Cut the entire top of the plenum off and build a box on top with a tapered center entry.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

You're right, i forgot we were talking about a minivan. I think what you described would definitely help, and if you cut the top off you'd be able to get in there and cut down the wall between the plenum and runners a bit to shorten the runners if you wanted to.

It may be possible to find an intercooler end tank that would more or less fit on top of the 1pc intake and do most of the work for you. Im kind of looking around on that now that you've got me thinking.
    Last edited by Vigo; 10-09-2015 at 09:05 AM.

turbo addict

Mitsu booster

The water to air kit looks awesome! I assume I can use 50/50 antifreeze with it since winter here can get -15. I'm gonna mess with intake next week gone deep in the woods till Monday! Also haven't looked close but thinking cutting runners off somewhere near plenum and welding them to a fabbed plenum might be quicker or better? I can whip up a fabbed plenum quickly but don't want to spend the time machining/fabbing runners and injector bungs. Talk to youguys Monday Bob

Mitsu booster

helpful pics vigo thanks. Will start this weekend. I'll post what I come up with.