Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 87 Shelby Lancer #369

turbo addict

Re: 87 Shelby Lancer #369

Looks awesome!

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Nice work, again!
    I should have thought to do the same with the fitting in my #4 cooling mod. I'll have to try and remember that with Slug.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Awesome job Jay!

turbo addict

I've been thinking about how tight the area is at the turbo inlet, it has shifter cables and that bobble strut bracket in that area so things are going to be tight for a 4" hose. I went to the j-yard yesterday and found this in a 1988 caravan.

The one on the left is out of the caravan. The one on the right is off a GLHT Omni. Here's a side shot.

The caravan mount attaches to the kmember with the same bracket and location as the other 87+ cars but uses an Lbody Dog-bone setup. It's much much shorter than the stock bobble strut bracket obviously. So with this and one of Polybushing.com's adjustable Dog-bones I'll solve a bunch of clearance problems and have a mostly solid setup. I need to find another one of these for my 16v daytona now.

Also on the agenda today was getting the block tapped for 1/2" NPT to feed the breather setup I'm working on. Turned out pretty well I think. Had to rotate the motor and do it from the bottom up so the chips fell out since I didn't want to take the oil pan back off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Looks awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Nice work, again!
    I should have thought to do the same with the fitting in my #4 cooling mod. I'll have to try and remember that with Slug.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Awesome job Jay!

Thanks guys, really appreciated and is keeping me motivated. I'm trying my best to do things right. The wife is giving me crap about leaving her all day on the weekends to work on this stuff but if I don't I wont get it done.
    Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 07-17-2016 at 12:40 AM.

turbo addict

87 K car's with a 520 trans have that bobble bracket set up too

there's one on the 520 in my blue 86 z - easy guess what I pulled it all outta

84-84 K car's came with the dog bone set up for the 525 too .. and some real early daytona's and lazers also had the 525 ones

& + 1 more
    car and motor build look sweet

turbo addict

Guess I'll need to keep an eye for those.

Today I got the Front Motor Mount finshed. Years ago when these 1st came out Johnny was nice enough to fill in the hole on 10 sets I think. I bought 2 sets with the intention of putting the hole back in the stock location. After reading about the IMSA cars and how they rocked the motor even farther fwd and why I thought screw it, I'm gonna get this thing as far fwd as I can within the limits I have. So I drilled it as far off as I dared at the time. Works great, Motor sits at 10 degrees. Stock is 13, with a center hole who knows. 16??????? So now who knows how many years later I have a car that needs the 2nd set done. And not having my drawings of what I did years ago I think I pushed the envelope a bit more as there is only .0625" of material between the sleeve and the outer edge.

Filled hole

Offset hole drilled and sleeve installed

And then all put together.

Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 07-17-2016 at 12:43 AM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

So without knowing for sure why the IMSA team did it( you coulda asked the team during awards night at SDAC couple years ago), what do you propose is the benefit to more forward tilt angle?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Sorry, in the article they stated why they did it. It improved axle geometry and they're roll center, it also creates better oil drain back into the block from the head. This also goes along with Ed Peters telling us over the years to preload the trans strut by 1" for better axle geometry. But instead of preloading the trans I have the rotation occur here, this allows there to be no noticeable vibration even with a solid bobble strut setup.

turbo addict

MP headgasket ordered. Missing piece to being able to drop the motor in over T-day weekend. I can swap intakes in car with the TBI header Can test, 1 piece, 2 piece, big plenum 2 piece and BMF without having to pull any engine parts.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    MP headgasket ordered. Missing piece to being able to drop the motor in over T-day weekend. I can swap intakes in car with the TBI header Can test, 1 piece, 2 piece, big plenum 2 piece and BMF without having to pull any engine parts.
    How about the gasket though? Or you still would pull the tbi header out of the way? Or just copper spray the intake side?
    That's nice, you could get some real world back to back comparos.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Well the 3 stockish intakes would probably be ok. Would be easy enough to unbolt the TBI header and slip a new gasket in if need be.

Tore the turbo apart yesterday so I can get the exhaust housing and exhaust pipe adapter ported hopefully this morning, doesn't need much just a little port matching and cleanup. Also going to cleanup the compressor outlet as much as I can.

Got the reservoir for the water/air i/c bracket modded just the way I wanted.

Before: Ugly Volvo letters all over it.

After: Fits the bill now.

Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 07-17-2016 at 12:47 AM.

turbo addict

would one of the pressed sheet metal intake / exhaust gaskets work , rather than the thick "foil" covered ones

at least the steel one wouldn't rip

turbo addict

Finally got the right size wrench to install my 3/4" NPT recessed Hex plug. Could of sworn it was 5/8" which didn't fit of course when it arrived so had to wait for a 9/16" to show up.

Also much to my surprise the Fed Ex man rang the door bell at about 9 this morning with my MP headgasket. So that's squeezed between the motor in the pic as well.

We're now just about ready to install the drivetrain over T-day weekend. Need to pull the trans and drill and ream for larger roll pins. I also want to move the shifter cable locating points so I can have a short throw shifter. Maybe I should draw them up in Solid works and machine new ones at work.
    Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 07-17-2016 at 12:49 AM.

Mitsu booster

Great thread!!!

turbo addict

What a week, 75mph winds knocked out power to most of the town including myself for 3.5 days. Sucks when it's 30something for the high and you have zero heat or hot water. Power kicked on friday at 330. I really am impressed by how people survived without all our luxuries.

Anyway, got some porting of the turbo done. Just have pics of the exhaust side for now. Decided to try and polish the compressor housing so I'm still working on that.

Got it matched to the T3 gasket and down the throat to smooth things out.

This is the turbine housing side of the exhaust pipe flange, radiused it from where it met the exhaust housing around the WG chamber so the exhaust should flow better

Then the exhaust pipe side of it. on top as it was just a big sharp corner. Might be able to see before pics earlier in the thread.

Worked on installing factory mud flaps on the Jeep GC Overland today as well, gonna clean the shop tomorrow and make it ready to pull the Shelby in and start on the motor and trans swap.

Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 07-17-2016 at 12:53 AM.

turbo addict

Wind hit us hard too. Trees down all over, lost power for 5 hours. The worst part is I lost large sections of my roof .

turbo addict

Got my new friction surface installed on the flywheel today.

Some people should not be allowed to drive with these things I guess after looking at the used one I picked up a long time ago. Used one is on the left and the one out of my daytona is on the right. Kinda hard to see but the one on the left is full of over heating blue marks. You CANNOT slip these things people. I did not take any pics of the new friction surface installed. I'll get some next time I'm there before it goes in with the 3 puck clutch.

Also took some comparison pics of the normal bobble strut bracket and the rare dogbone non-Lbody bracket.

Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 07-17-2016 at 12:56 AM.

Hybrid booster

My power is STILL out, thankfully we have a wood insert and the gas hot water heater stayed lit. Lost a few shingles and a tree came down from across the street and landed behind my motor home. Totally insane! Glad nothing fell on your shop what a disaster that would have been!
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

turbo addict

Least you have heat and hot water. I can deal with the power out, but our gas fireplace is electronically activated as well as the gas hot water heater. I was more worried about the roof blowing off than anything coming down on it as there isn't any trees around it. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Sweet PLOG, subscribed

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast