Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 87 Shelby Lancer #369

turbo addict

87 Shelby Lancer #369

Thought I'd start one of these, guess like everyone else to keep me motivated a bit and Asa has asked me a couple times about one. Guess I'll start at the beginning.

Started off with this.

My $250 87 New yorker converted to T2, with Shelby suspension and brakes was parked at work when the guy plowing the driveway backed into it, hooked the nose on his bed, and pushed it 4ft to the side. I thought I could just slap a new nose on it (upgrade to the Lebaron 4 headlight system which is much cleaner IMO) and go. But after looking at it closer it was going require new fenders as well as paint the whole thing so I decided to pull all the good stuff off it and send it to the scrapyard in the sky.

Scrapyard gave me $120 for it, The 90 Shelby Daytona that donated it's 11" brakes and suspension years ago I got $150 for and didn't pay anything for the car (thanks DWH4784) so I'm up $20 on the car already. The insurance gave me $25xx.00 for it in the end so I think I made out pretty good.

So that was Aug 22 2014. Then began the hunt and procurement of a SL or LS. I wanted a 4 door (for the kids) with a stick or at least the easy transformation to a stick. The auto in the Yorker was fun but not fun enough. I found my left foot and right hand yearning to heel and toe downshift when coming to a stop. So that basically leads me to an Omni or a Hbody. I had a GLHT and while fun just was a bit too bare bones for what I wanted. I found 3 SL's that fit what I was looking for and finally decided on one in Reno NV. Plane tickets purchased and hotel room booked, Had to stay in Lake Tahoe since it was so close to Reno and I'd never been.

Sept 26th and we get dropped off at the airport about 45 minutes before our plane is to depart. Spokane is a fairly small airport and usually 30minutes is enough time to get through security etc. 5 minutes before we get there this happens.

The whole Eastern Wa University Football team shows up, Guess where they're going. Las Vegas, which is the 1st leg of our flight. All shoved onto a 737. I was dreading this ordeal. But they were all very nice and quiet and we had one of the smaller guys (running back???) sit in the 3rd seat next to the wife and I so all turned out good. Las Vegas and Nevada in a whole just crack me up, as soon as you leave the plane there are of course slot machines everywhere but it was the stereotypical old ladies sitting at them that I found so amusing.

Got our rental car and headed up to Lake Tahoe. It's beautiful up there, walked around the bottom of the Heavenly ski resort, hit the Hard Rock for dinner and then crashed out. It had been sprinkling all afternoon but rained hard that night. The Mountain tops got snow that night so waking up to that was very nice to see. We drove around Tahoe, grabbed breakfast and then headed for Stead, where the Air races are held (missed them by a couple weeks ) to pick up the car.

So we get there and of course the car is worse than described but still ok. Runs ok, but no bottom end power, I figured the cam timing (S60 cam on a stock motor) had to be off. Made the deal, signed the papers and off we went for the 12 hour drive home. Stopped and dropped the rental car off, stopped at the airport because their bathrooms were nice, and hit In & Out because you can't go somewhere with one of those and not stop and get a double double and fries and a shirt.

15 minutes into our trip I decide to call my mom to get my Aunts phone # because she lives in Boise ID, and has a truck and trailer if we get stranded (not that any TD has ever left me stranded before). It's raining pretty hard and as I'm on the phone at 75MPH the car shuts off, oh great. We coast for 10-15 seconds and the car kicks back on and away we go. Phone # in phone I hang up and we keep driving. It hiccuped a couple more times but the rain subdued and it stopped doing it. Going up steeper hills required 4000+rpms and all the boost (cam timing had to be off) We rolled into Spokane, safe and sound 12 hrs later.

Next weekend was beautiful so I got out and washed it like it should have been.

And ordered up some fender protectors so I could work on it without hurting things. I'll be getting a couple more of these, one to display when at car shows and another to have 1 to sit on the rear parcel shelf as it fits perfectly

Checked the cam timing and sure enough, retarded a tooth. Fixing that made it so much better. After that it was time to install a BOV and take out the factory airbox setup

Went down to the DMV to talk to someone about getting the car titled correctly and registered in my name. Had brochures and internet pages typed out. A very helpful lady told me I needed to get the car inspected by the WSP to have the title changed to something other than what the computer was spitting out. So I called and left a msg, they called back about an hour later and I explained what I had and what I wanted to do. I had to set up an appointment with them to inspect the car. I was nervous. Some people here have been lucky with one car and couldn't get the other car done. I didn't have a WSO saying the car was a Shelby, I did have a certificate of authentication from Shelby and all the other stuff I had at the DMV. So I go out there after work and on the way out the car stumbles and shuts off on the freeway. Thankfully it came back on 5 seconds later. This was hopefully not a pre-cursor to how my day was going to go. I get out there and pull into their inspection bay. Officer comes out, asks my name, etc and what I want to do. I tell him. He opens the door and reads the Shelby manufacturer decal on the inside of the door. He said he didn't need to see any of the other info I brought out, walked around the car a bit and went back inside. 15 minutes goes by and him and another officer walk out. I'm thinking oh great, this isn't going to go well. He walks up and says "here ya go, just take this to the DMV" The other officer tells me it's a nice car and he bets that it being titled as a Shelby really changes the value vs just a Dodge. We exchange a couple sentences and away I go. The 2nd officer just wanted to see the car. A week or so goes by and this arrives in the mail.

Drove the car back and forth to work and that shut down started to happen more often. Sometimes hitting 3rd gear really hard from 5th would get the car to come back alive. The final straw was when I was on the side of the freeway for 10 minutes on the way to work with no idea if she was going to re-fire. She did but that was it. I had checked all the HEP wires for continuity, replaced the HEP with the New Yorkers old piece and still had the issue. Swapped LM's which didn't do much or made it different. So iTurbo was gracious enough to sell me his 88 LS engine harness he had. The J-yard happened to have an 87 Hbody that I scored the 50 pin plug out of and so began the process of converting the car over to SMEC electronics.

This is the 2nd time I've done a SMEC conversion this way (G and Hbody) and so far so good. Will this hurt the value of the car? I don't know. I think this is done right and unless you know what your're looking for you can't really tell.

The car fired right up and has a slightly tweaked 89 T2 cal in it for now. Opening up one of the LM's had water contamination in it. But the other LM where it would run for 10 minutes or so then shut off didn't show any signs of damage to it. Oh well, good riddance.

So now I have this 89 fully forged CB, ported head and other parts just sitting in my shop. Can't let that go to waste and my other car is getting a 2.5 anyway. So what to do with it. I had been eyeing a TBI exhaust manny thread where Todd Nelson posted some pics in and after a few back and forths with Todd my goal was to get one of these. Someone on TD.com had this nice piece he was willing to sell.

I had The Pope do some of the rough porting to get the shape the way I wanted with what we had to work with

I then finished everything with a 6" mandrel and a sanding roll. There was a lot of casting flash at the head side on the inside radius I was able to get out. With the sanding roll I was able to get almost every square inch of the runners. There might be a finger tip size you can't get too.

After some debating I've decided to go with a GT35R on my 16v so I had my GT30R doing nothing. So that was going on. But what to do for an exhaust housing. I didn't want to do an external gate as it's just an 8v and adds a bunch of cost and fab work. I didn't like the Ford housing as it's almost on center and then you still have to come up with a swingvalve/O2 housing setup. Thankfully Garrett offers this new piece.

And ATP has the flange to weld and bolt up a 3" exhaust with a 2" WG pipe so I ordered it.

Needed a clutch, liked the weight reduction of the Spec Stage 3 6 puck sprung hub over stock so I decided to continue that trend. Shout out to Cindy at FWDP for getting it all ordered correctly.

I had the big plenum 2 piece intake I can use but Asa came out with his fully custom setup just in time for me to order one. Aside from a couple of things this is an awesome piece. Right now I'm just getting around to figuring out how much I need to machine it and some other parts for it to get it where I want it to be. I'll post pics of the finished setup.

So now it's time to start fabbing and prepping things up.

Got the 2.2 on the stand and took off the stock head.
    Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 07-17-2016 at 12:02 AM.

turbo addict

Re: 87 Shelby Lancer

25 image limit??? Lame

Exhaust and turbo fit ok so far.

Intake fits too. That's good, I only had to hit the #2 head flange with a file a hair to get it to clear.

It was touching in those pics but I could still bolt it up. I've since hit it with the file and it has maybe 3/32's of clearance now which should be fine.

I needed to find a way to use my TU wg Z bracket and old S60 WG actuator since they were lying around, but I didn't have a way to attach them to the big GT30R compressor housing. So drew something up in Solidworks and machined it at work.

I might have to mod my model and make it again but at least it's on and I have something I can tweak from there.

Now that everything is in it's place I can start on the plumbing. Figured that up and ordered some parts:

ANplumbing.com rocks when it comes to this stuff. Everything is pictured and they have everything I've wanted/needed so far.

ATP turbo has this nifty adapter for an oil drain back that allows you to use an NPT to whatever fitting on it. I machined it (the silver ATP piece) and the Earl's piece down to suck it as close to the turbo as I could get it. This allows it to clear the intermediate shaft and have a straight shot to the oil drainback that FM welded onto the 2.5 tall Deck oil pan.

And then yesterday I was able to get my AN lines all made up.

Water Feed and oil return setup

Oil feed and water return.

Next is ordering some brackets to hold the lines a bit better and figuring how how to plumb up the #4 coolant mod plate. I also need to machine down the -8 to -6 adapter for the water return line as the hex portion is huge and won't clear the #4 mod plate. As it is the TU/FWDP/House of Hose water pipe that bends around the head is sitting on it.

Getting exhaust on it is going to be tricky, right now it's looking like a 3" tight radius 180 to get back towards the tunnel. I'll probably have to do something with the PS lines as they are pretty much hanging right in the path of the exhaust pipe. They'll have to be wrapped and the fuel lines on that side too. The WG pipe will be easier I think.
    Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 07-17-2016 at 12:20 AM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: 87 Shelby Lancer #369

I think we can go ahead and use this build log to model all other build logs after, nice backround on getting the car bought and driven home too

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Thanks Alan. Very much appreciated.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Very nice work Jay!
    Interested in seeing this progress.
    You might consider offsetting the water return pipe with an additional fitting at the tstat to give you the clearance at the 4th cyl cooling mod plate. Or you might be able to flex the hard pipe out just a bit. I'll have to check at how we managed in on Mini, but your fitting might be larger.
    Anyway, good stuff, and nice work so far!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Cool thread Jay, too bad (at least for me) none of the pictures show up. I remember that poor old blue Daytona, glad some of it got used eventually.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Very nice work Jay!
    Interested in seeing this progress.
    You might consider offsetting the water return pipe with an additional fitting at the tstat to give you the clearance at the 4th cyl cooling mod plate. Or you might be able to flex the hard pipe out just a bit. I'll have to check at how we managed in on Mini, but your fitting might be larger.
    Anyway, good stuff, and nice work so far!

Thanks, Wayne. Here's the fitting that was really interfering with the #4 coolant mod plate

The Hex on the -6 to -8 adapter is 1" where the hex on the water pipe it screws into is just over .750. The flat on the Hex for the water pipe sits up against the #4 mod plate with just a bit of tension with the water pipe screwed into the adapter at the head/t-stat box. So today I put the adapter in a vice and took .125 off all 6 sides of the Hex. Leaving it about .002-.003 smaller than the water pipe hex fitting. This allowed me to have it spin even though the water pipe is tight up against the #4 mod block. Pics below.

Guess I need to get figuring out how I want to plumb the #4 and then order parts so this thread doesn't stall too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dwh4784 View Post
    Cool thread Jay, too bad (at least for me) none of the pictures show up. I remember that poor old blue Daytona, glad some of it got used eventually.
    Well you can come over and see the thing in real life too

Hybrid booster

Wow nice project you have here. Body on the car looks great, engine combo is killer. I have been on the fence on my SL build, mild or wild. Been leaning towards the wild build, your project build is helping push me over the edge. Can't Wait for future updates.

greg

Hybrid booster

Pics show up at home, work didn't like them apparently. Sad seeing the NY all torn apart it was such a nice car.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

turbo addict

Thanks Greg, For me it's about getting some more bottom end grunt and throttle response. The car is ok but kinda doggy for the way I drive. If I didn't have a 2.2 just lying around it'd be getting a 2.5 for sure. Hopefully with the ported head, lighter recipricating components it'll pick up some off the line power too. Also this stuff is just lying around from other builds for the most part, figured I'd use it. :

Garrett booster

I will have to see this next time I'm down. Gives me motivation to do my wife's shadow es build.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

So its gonna be ready for next years meet...

I am always a fan of detailed pictures that help tell the story, I don't read most of the standard build threads but this has pop. You have me motivated to do some nicer return lines and get some nicer parts off the bat for my wife's car. I have no idea where to start on hose these days. That website you posted has too much hose variety.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

If you hold your mouse pointer over the different hoses it'll tell you what ends to use with that style hose. All the hose I use is the Perform-o-flex. It's their SS braided line. The Prolite is nylon braided. Their tech videos show the prolite stuff too. Great videos there. Especially the one on how to cut the hoses. Makes it so much easier and cleaner

I told Dustin that if it's on a Saturday I'll bring both Hbodies down. I'd like to have the engine in the car by Thanksgiving. I'll see how that goes though.

turbo addict

Subbing! Looks like this is going to be a epic build!

turbo addict

New billing cycle on the CC so ordered up the parts to plumb in the #4 coolant mod and some extra hose for the PCV, block breather setup. Damn stuff is not cheap. Getting to the point where the motor needs to go into the car to do anything else.

This weekend gonna try to finish up the machining program to the BMF so I can get started on that and order up fuel rail stock.

turbo addict

Well didn't think I'd have anything to say till next weekend when parts get here but went to the J-yard today for some Hbody Winter beater parts and got lucky on this find.

Came from a 1989 760.

Just need to order the 24x12x1" heat exchanger and my water/air i/c kit will be complete.

Please ignore how crappy the car looks in the pic, I was test fitting it on the 88 Canadian Winter beater (Lancer Shelby) since the Shelby was at home and not at the shop.
    Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 07-17-2016 at 12:29 AM.

turbo addict

More AN parts arrived. All the stuff for the #4 coolant mod and some extra -10 line for my PCV setup. Gonna tap the #4 mod plate at work tomorrow for 1/2" NPT.

Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 07-17-2016 at 12:27 AM.

turbo addict

Ok trying to design my breather tank/PCV system and need some help. Right now I'm leaning towards using this setup.

My dilemma is I now have the factory turbo oil drainback open as a place to use.

My old Audi 5 cylinder had a port coming out of the block and t'ing into the valve cover but I don't remember how it was hooked up beyond that. Also I was thinking of having it hooked up like the 90+ 8v turbo's where there is a drain back from the PCV fitting at the airbox to the turbo return line.

My setup in my head at the moment has a -10 line coming out of the block, and going to the bottom/single port on this Y block somewhere between it and the factory valve cover spot.

One of the top fittings goes to the Valve cover, and then the other goes to the breather tank. From the breather tank a line goes to to the Intake with a PCV valve and maybe before that T-'s off to the intake tube from the filter to the turbo? Guess I'd need a PCV valve in that system but only to let vacuum through? Or does the breather on top of the breather tank act as that port so I'd just need a line from the can to the manifold???? But then they're would be no vacuum under boost. Also the drain. IF it was set up like a 90+ setup would I just t it back into the block port below the original y block? So that the PCV system just sucks off vapors and condensation and allows any oil to drain back into the block?

Please post your thoughts on this. I'd like to hear them.
    Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 10-17-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Allowing the crankcase to vent is great.

Allowing our 8V engines to inhale crankcase vapors, not so great.

Ditch the PCV, use the largest crankcase vent hose possible.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

Spent yesterday getting the #4 mod plumbed in. Machined and tapped it for 1/2" NPT at work friday. Also machined the adapter fitting for much better flow.

Also was able to drill and tap a hole to mount a line clamp in the adapter to hold the lines as you can see. Need a different bolt but for now this works.

Needed to keep the lines from rubbing and routed to the right place so another line clamp and a line separator too.

At the end of the line coming off the #4 mod plate this fitting and hose get attached to the coolant diverter valve setup under the battery, or will once it's in the car.

Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 07-17-2016 at 12:33 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast