Thread: How to remove gen1 laser/daytona windshield.

How to remove gen1 laser/daytona windshield.

I had tried once before to take a windshield out with the piano string on handles to cut through the windshield adhesive. That was on a convertible and im sure if i went slowly i could have gotten it out. This is a hatchback and its getting hard to find windshields for these and last quote i had for one was 300$ just the glass. Safelite was 250$ just to remove a good one for me, used to be 100$ only a few years ago. All the glass shops i called refused to try to remove it for me. Anybody else know how to get one out? I have 2 cars, 1 with a cracked glass and 1 with good glass that was replaced about 10 years ago. Id like to swap the windshields, both same year and model car. Any help would be appreciated.

Hybrid booster

Re: How to remove gen1 laser/daytona windshield.

I know a body man and he let me borrow a tool that worked really well. It has a small hook attached to a handle, and another handle attached by a short cable which you pull on. If you google "windshield removal tool" you will see what I'm talking about. Or here's a link to one.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...ol/A-p2990067e
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Cool, thats an idea

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_23886.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	56346

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    Cool, thats an idea
    I have a far better idea that I just figured out after 25+ flipping years.

Buy one of these-

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ool-62279.html

With the the blade shown with an arrow, with a coupon and on sale you can get what is needed for $16

I just purchased one and had the windshield out of the GLHS is 15 minutes flat if not less. You fire the tool up and insert from the inside between the glass and frame and it just melts/cuts through the sealer like butter and the flexible blade does no damage to the glass if it touches it by accident.

Best money ever spent.

Working on clearing the decks.

Looks like what safelite used to get the one out of my maserati with. Took him like no time,

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    Looks like what safelite used to get the one out of my maserati with. Took him like no time,
    I swear it took 10-15 min tops. I was blown away as in the past I have used putty knives or razors and it took hours with uncertain success.

Working on clearing the decks.

Im pretty sure i could buy it and probably return it saying it was defective afterward even. All i know is the attachement on the safelite guys thing looked like a giant spatula, like vibrated right through it. He did crack the one cause he didnt take his time cause the other he did came out no problem

turbo addict

I tried the bone saw route, but was afraid the vibration would crack the glass, plus the blade kept hitting a seam in the frame. I didn't know that was what was going on until after I got the thing out...but it cracked. I kind of expected it to crack simply because it had a stress riser on the edge of the glass before I started.

I will say those saws work AMAZINGLY well to remove body seam sealer!!