Thread: Shocked a coworker

Hybrid booster

Shocked a coworker

Hey it seems nobody street races anymore, so I'll at least post a TM story that made me chuckle.

Yesterday I drove my LeBaron to work which is fairly rare, maybe twice a month. Earlier in the week we had taken our 2008 Chevy Express work van into the shop because the lame a$$ drive by wire system was messing up, why have a throttle cable when you can have fancy complicated sensors right? Anyway, I got the call that it was fixed and took my driver over to the shop to pick it up. While heading out of our parking lot our head engineer was walking by, ear buds in, just out for a stroll. I had to slow down for him as he walked across the driveway so gave him a couple revs jokingly rather than honking, he turned and looked and noticeably laughed out loud. So, and I'm serious that I never do this anymore, when I got onto the street I gave him a really hard launch and a solid 1-2-into 3rd pull, tire smoke and BOV the whole time (with the top down and coworker's Abe Lincoln beard for bonus points). The car pulled great and later that day I ran into our HR guy who is close friends with that engineer and I told him to ask him if he's ever seen a quick K-car before. He calls me later saying that the guy was appalled thinking there was something wrong with my car, it was "popping" between shifts (Turbo XS Type-H BOV), but he schooled him on what a turbo car is. The HR guy has a DeTomaso Pantera (which I got to drive once!), a few street bikes and an old Ford Ranger short bed he converted from the ground up to 5.0 Mustang and is putting two of our Garrett turbos on for good measure....super cool dude! Anyway Mason (the engineer) came by later and said he was shocked how fast the thing took off even if it made scary sounds in the process. He's a good guy as well, and it couldn't have been any better of a circumstance to show off some TM powwa!
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Shocked a coworker

Our h.r. department seems to exist only to fire people so i can't imagine doing any of this!
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

sounds like a good HR guy to know for sure.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

People still race, I think they just got tired of all the ---- talking on the internet. Reading about street races used to be one of my favorite things about car forums, but it really seems like the shamer squads killed the mood. Meanwhile my youtube feed is chock full of people posting street races of cars i'm only vaguely interested in.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

I never street race anymore, used to be a group of friends we would occasionally be out roll racing on the highway or stoplight stuff. It's just not worth risking the ticket $$$ and injury to do that now compared to being young/single/stupid. It just worked out that where my work sits we have a road behind our building that is semi-private with minimal traffic. Not like I would line up and race another car side-by-side down it but for just a quick romp it carries minimal risk of encountering the law, traffic or pedestrians.

When my HR friend let me drive the Pantera he kept telling me to get on it, I was too nervous though. The driving position and shifter were impossible to get comfortable with. He actually offered to let me use it for my wedding to leave the church in which was why I was test driving it. I have no idea how fast they are compared to modern stuff but it felt like a beast.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    People still race, I think they just got tired of all the ---- talking on the internet. Reading about street races used to be one of my favorite things about car forums, but it really seems like the shamer squads killed the mood. Meanwhile my youtube feed is chock full of people posting street races of cars i'm only vaguely interested in.
    Another reason why facebook gets car traffic. Fewer wrinkles complaining about what kids do. I would still rather watch some blocked off NY freeway then read about how we can't even get replacement strut and nobody is doing anything about it. Reminds me of how a bunch of my coworkers were looked down upon by their parents and now they don't like what kids are doing now style wise. I don't really find thrill seeking morally corrupt unless we are talking about some of the laws out there. That or the active attempt to remove the places that actually allow legal tomfoolery. Popular consensus would rather have everyone sit home on their devices and get high.

My major buzz kill is that I do almost all of my driving to and from work, and I don't really want to use sick leave because I shattered a piston.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 09-29-2015 at 05:44 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56