Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rossion

Hybrid booster

Rossion

I just stopped by Rossion today. All the vans were crushed and junked over the summer.
    They are trying to consolidate the parts in the containers and get rid of it all, either by selling it and or dumping it all. No time frame on that yet.

I did find 2 series 2 engine covers and 1 engine cover for a targa?? See picture

Also found 3 decent windshields, I grabbed one. The glass is clear, minor fogging in corners by the black stripes. See picture.

Lots of the cragar wheels left , but the pickings are getting slimmer.

The have actually put a bunch of mosler mt90 stuff out in the containers. So I imagine they are serious about getting rid of stuff.

My car should be back on the road next week. Just got the radiator back. It looks great. This guy had done some work for Warren years ago , and had told him about a design flaw in the radiator that allows too much flex , and thus the break. Mine was modified in this way , and re-cored

Hybrid booster

Re: Rossion

On further inspection the windshield I picked up is better then I thought. Most of the "fogging " is actually under the black stickers that surround the windshield, as I cleaned it and the sticker came off it was clear underneath.

There are 2 more pretty good ones , and then a bunch of not good ones.

They still have the aluminum sub frame that believe dscrab was looking for.

boostaholic

I really wanted one of those vans. I love vans. I love composites.

Would have never done anything with it though..

Hybrid booster

As of last week, I am waiting on a shipping quote on that subframe. Guess I need to call again.

Hybrid booster

My guess is that it's all gonna get dumped, too much trouble and work for all of the little stuff.
    Don't get me wrong, the guys are cool, but we're talking hours and hours of work for very little income comparatively speaking

Besides, everything except the body panels is just about worthless and everything requires rework to be in a usable state.
    It's a labor of love more than bolt on pieces...for example: The CF engine cover I bought will be getting the gel coat fixed before it can be used due to the bubbles on the surface.
    I would like them to give us the opportunity to help them "remove the junk"
    If you don't mind, keep an eye out and let us know when it's getting dumped.

FYI Targa covers are flat, I'm guessing that's an early / prototype series 2 cover based on the aluminum louvers

Hybrid booster

Did anyone recognize what that series 2 cover went to ?
    Have not seen one like it before.
    Does anyone have an extra series 1 cover that they would want to sell? Or trade for a series 2 ?

Hybrid booster

I am going to keep stopping by weekly or so.
    Do you think it's worth trying to get the body molds or no?

I am trying to get a buddy to go in on the yellow WSC racecar , anyone interested let me know. They want 20k best offer.

Hybrid booster

Does a series 2 lid fit a series 1 car? I've not seen that one before. There was another series 1 carbon fiber lid there and about 5-10 fiberglass ones. Did they get pitched? Heart breaking if they did. I'd like to have one to "play" with. I can't bring myself to mod the original one.
    Last edited by player1up; 09-23-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by polopharm View Post
    I am going to keep stopping by weekly or so.
    Do you think it's worth trying to get the body molds or no?

I am trying to get a buddy to go in on the yellow WSC racecar , anyone interested let me know. They want 20k best offer.

The body molds would be cool, but not sure they're worth a whole lot as they'd need to be retooled and without someone with Consulier layup experience...you might have a unique artificial reef... The logistics of building a replacement chassis are daunting...

Although...a quick search of the FL DMV site just made my day a bit more interesting...
    NOTE: To register your car as a street rod, it must be manufactured before 1949. To register your car as a custom vehicle, it must be at least 25 years old and have been produced after 1948.

SO, if you build a consulier now it's technically a custom vehicle and doesn't have to meet the constraints of new cars....hmmm

It's sad how last year they thought everything was made out of gold and now it's all getting tossed.

turbo addict

I still think that it's totally possible to build one. Composites aren't really all that hard. The difficult thing would be to make sure to use the correct materials in the correct way. Does anyone know if these were cured in an autoclave or if they were simply wet lay-up with vacuum bags?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I still think that it's totally possible to build one. Composites aren't really all that hard. The difficult thing would be to make sure to use the correct materials in the correct way. Does anyone know if these were cured in an autoclave or if they were simply wet lay-up with vacuum bags?
    Both from what I've heard. The series 2's were rumored to be autoclaved. The series 1's weren't and that's why they're all wavy.

turbo addict

I would think that the waviness had more to do with the mold quality than the way it was processed. I do know that the cars are a foam sandwich type construction, but I don't know if it was foam planks or if it was injected expanding closed cell structural foam? What I DO know is that a lot of the foams out there aren't very dimensionally stable in relation to temperature. Also, the materials, especially fiberglass, shrink a little so it's possible that the parts were under internal stress as it was curing and caused the imperfections.

Using an autoclave would make for a lighter and more structurally sound part, however it's not totally needed and I think that using vacuum assisted resin transfer in an out of autoclave process would work just fine and net parts nearly as light as pre-preg/autoclave parts without the massive cost and complexity.

Garrett booster

Is there someone dealing with this stuff there? An email or phone number possibly kicking around?

Thanks

Hybrid booster

I will try n post the new parts guys number. I gotta find it.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I would think that the waviness had more to do with the mold quality than the way it was processed. I do know that the cars are a foam sandwich type construction, but I don't know if it was foam planks or if it was injected expanding closed cell structural foam? What I DO know is that a lot of the foams out there aren't very dimensionally stable in relation to temperature. Also, the materials, especially fiberglass, shrink a little so it's possible that the parts were under internal stress as it was curing and caused the imperfections.

Using an autoclave would make for a lighter and more structurally sound part, however it's not totally needed and I think that using vacuum assisted resin transfer in an out of autoclave process would work just fine and net parts nearly as light as pre-preg/autoclave parts without the massive cost and complexity.
    The story I heard on the waviness is that the cars continued to cure ( shrink in some places ) after being removed from the molds. The molds are finished like you'd expect, very smooth.

Pretty sure they're foam plank. I have vents in the rear of the car on the floor of the "behind the engine area" that are cut through where the core is exposed. Looks like 1/2" or 3/8" foam core with a layer(s) of fiberglass on each side.

Thrillz, Last time I was there we worked with Mike Magee, he's always been super nice and willing to help.

turbo addict

OK, so most likely we are seeing materials not playing nice dimensionally while curing.

turbo addict

I would buy the targa cover....or the mold for it.
    The one I had made here is okay, but an original mold would be better!!!!!!!
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Garrett booster

Any luck on contact info?

Garrett booster

Has anyone see any of the front sub-frames in the storage containers? I've not had a chance to go and rummage through there yet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast