Thread: O2 sensor warm up lean idle when warm?

Garrett booster

O2 sensor warm up lean idle when warm?

I am running the computer off the narrow band output wire on my innovate wide band. When engine is warm it will start and until the sensor warms up it idles lean. I can adjust what the sensor tells the computer tell it warms up. The question is what is the computer looking for or what table is it running off of while the sensor is warming up as the stock sensor takes time warm up too?

Re: O2 sensor warm up lean idle when warm?

Who did the tune? I have an innovate I just installed and there are two wires for output. Make sure you're using the one with the 0-1v output and not the 0-5v output. Mine idles around 14.4-15.2, basically targets 14.7 and Rob did the cal.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

You can use the included software with your innovate to adjust the default "failed" output. When the sensor is in warmup it is not reading anything but it is sending a set value to the ECU.
    I have mine set to 14.7, and it sometimes is an issue on hot restarts. I have not spent any more time trying to get it better.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Who did the tune? I have an innovate I just installed and there are two wires for output. Make sure you're using the one with the 0-1v output and not the 0-5v output. Mine idles around 14.4-15.2, basically targets 14.7 and Rob did the cal.
    Rob did the tune once the sensor warms up and comes online it is 14-14.8. I loaded up the innovate software and set all the parameters for warm up output made sure the switch point was right but it still idles lean till the innovate is online. It is hooked to the 0-1 output. Once it is warmed up it starts off at about 17 or so then brings it back to 14-14.8 and idles like normal. It starts great on cold starts only does it when it is warmed up.

Quote Originally Posted by TFmech View Post
    Rob did the tune once the sensor warms up and comes online it is 14-14.8. I loaded up the innovate software and set all the parameters for warm up output made sure the switch point was right but it still idles lean till the innovate is online. It is hooked to the 0-1 output. Once it is warmed up it starts off at about 17 or so then brings it back to 14-14.8 and idles like normal. It starts great on cold starts only does it when it is warmed up.
    That's what I was thinking you were saying. Mine seems to ignore my settings for initial startup too, but it always goes to where it should after it comes online and I don't seem to have the same issue you do, cold or warm. Have you tried to re-calibrate the wideband? I think for turbo applications it said to do it 3 months after initial use. But the instructions give notion that when you're racing with it, it's good to calibrate it each time, so I can't imagine it would hurt to calibrate it before the 3 months.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

IIRC, the ECU's software doesn't look at the O2 for a set time period (warm-up), and/or when it sees the "cross checking" (O2 voltage swinging positive to negative regularly).

So it may be that it's in the code more than the sensor... I do believe this can be adjusted if the O2 comes on line sooner than expected, as may be the case with the use of a three wire in place of a one wire in a stock application.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

revive this issue still present even though I have the fuel and efficiency tables pretty close to dead on. I notice it seems to be charge temp related when it starts up charge temp is around 210 when it is hot out side as it comes down to say 180 it gets better and better as it gets lower. Problem is the same with adaptives off or on.