Thread: L Body 11" Brakes

L Body 11" Brakes

I have an '85 modded GLH-T and need it to stop better! So anyone with the right parts(knuckles, etc.) to convert it to 11" brakes please respond. Thank you, Steve

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: L Body 11" Brakes

They don't bolt onto a "L", mods to either the body to allow use of non L body struts or thinning of the knuckles to fit the L struts.

Unlikely that someone has some laying about, but the upside is the rest is the same as any other 11"conversion.

Just have to decide what accommodating mod you want to do. ..

Here's a link to a discussion of one of the options.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...11-quot-brakes

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Mike,

Thanks. Occasionally someone has them for sale, or just has them laying around or on a car they're parting; I'm just trying to get them shook loose for my '85 GLH-T mod.

Steve

You can pull any set of front brakes from any of the Daytonas and thin the knuckles a tad where they mount to the strut and get the 11" brakes. There are two different styles I think 89-90 and 91+. I'm running the earlier style just because the bracket that holds the caliper on uses a 10mm bolt to secure it to the spindle. The later style uses a very large bolt and I didn't want to mess with having the gargantuan socket and I'm pretty sure that setup is heavier. But I think the advantage of that setup is the placement of the hub as it connects to the control arm. Rich Bryant is the site authority on what fits and the specs/differences. He's done a ton of research on it.

Regardless of what you use, going with the later style allows for easier hub replacement since they bolt into the spindle instead of being pressed in. If you have access to a parts yard, it would prove useful to go "shopping" for just about any Daytona 89+. You could probably get a set for $50 or so, I would think.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Jon,

Thank you very much for this information. The problem is that these cars are so old that junk yards have crushed them!

Steve