Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who here is the A413 Guru?

turbo addict

Re: Who here is the A413 Guru?

Bands can be re-lined. Mine was welded and lined with kevlar.

Garrett booster

I see no way possible to get 8 clutches into the forward(input shaft drum) Also it would be a waste, 4 clutches hold just fine.

I've been working on making a new forward drum for these trans that will allow you to use 904 high gear clutches. The big advantages of this would be a lot more friction material and the availability of the parts since alto and reybest make parts all day for that transmission. It's been a slow project though lol.

I haven't disassembled my trans so I don't know what the frictions look like after 13 years of service, but they have never slipped and I don't get a 2-3 shift flare, So the stock Mopar frictions proved themselves to me. I just thought maybe I could do better.
    I did not weld my band because I thought it would wreck the bond of the friction; How do you weld them without messing up the friction bonding??
    And, who relines bands with Kevlar? got a link?
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Garrett booster

We still tear high gear clutches every now and then its been forever since I tore a band up. We are pushing 1100-1200hp through it though, I never weld the bands and I un 180-200psi line pressure.

Alabama bands relines bands in what ever you like.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Sounds like the issue here is high quality clutches, bands. Doesn't sound like being a neon helps there. I think we all know you can get hard parts from cores... Not being able to build the transmission to hold big power kills the platform completely.

Time to go Chris!
    Go where?! LOL Seems like it's time for me to figure out this re-lining thing.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    I see no way possible to get 8 clutches into the forward(input shaft drum) Also it would be a waste, 4 clutches hold just fine.

I've been working on making a new forward drum for these trans that will allow you to use 904 high gear clutches. The big advantages of this would be a lot more friction material and the availability of the parts since alto and reybest make parts all day for that transmission. It's been a slow project though lol.
    It was one of the drums he fit 8 alto clutches. Can't remember what one. His name was Racetstev on neons.org. I think he got out of neons though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    I haven't disassembled my trans so I don't know what the frictions look like after 13 years of service, but they have never slipped and I don't get a 2-3 shift flare, So the stock Mopar frictions proved themselves to me. I just thought maybe I could do better.
    I did not weld my band because I thought it would wreck the bond of the friction; How do you weld them without messing up the friction bonding??
    And, who relines bands with Kevlar? got a link?
    I just looked at my PM's on neons.org from Racetstev from 6 years ago. Apparently it was welded, and then re-lined with "carbon". Not sure what to make of that.

turbo addict

Carbon fiber. It bites REALLY hard and doesn't really overheat. Clutches, brakes, synchronizers, transmission bands...things that need a hard/fast bite where heat is an issue. It's not exactly cheap, but it does work very well.

Garrett booster

Brian sloe had aluminum drums made for the direct drum not forward drum. I think you could fit 8 thins in it, I have one but use thicker frictions. Since the alto aren't available I switched to the stage 1 reybest.

Ive be been using the red lines bands lately, the carbon seemed to work well to. I do not like the Kevlar bands.

turbo addict

Brian sloe had aluminum drums made for the direct drum not forward drum. I think you could fit 8 thins in it, I have one but use thicker frictions. Since the alto aren't available I switched to the stage 1 reybest.

Ive be been using the red lines bands lately, the carbon seemed to work well to. I do not like the Kevlar bands.
    I had a Kevlar clutch disc for a manual trans many years ago. I hated it. It was bad to slip from day 1 of installation!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Carbon fiber. It bites REALLY hard and doesn't really overheat. Clutches, brakes, synchronizers, transmission bands...things that need a hard/fast bite where heat is an issue. It's not exactly cheap, but it does work very well.
    Also works really well for fishing reel drag .

Garrett booster

Thought i'd post an interesting link on the valve body.. http://mechdb.com/index.php/Chrysler..._modifications

And this on how to prep the trans http://www.turbovan.net/Trans.html

My plan is to use a 01 neon trans with the alto red rebuild plus band, nan torq converter @ 3200 rpm.. with an obx diff (need to find a spacer) -- based on a discussion with carl b a fmvb seems like my best choice.

Are the Stage 1 Raybestos the blue ones? Who sell them?got a link or phone #
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Also, as far as the clutch pack count; when I built this unit I was able to fit five friction in the front drum using A404 steels and mopar frictions. was tight but worked perfect. should be interesting to see how they faired.

Garrett booster

The stage 1's are a red color, I have not found any of the blue ones for a long time. I fit 6 frictions using thick disc and thin steels or 7 alto's.

Here's a pic of our new valve body we've been working on for a long time. It features reverse pattern, low band apply, clean neutral PR123N, and reverse pressure matches forward pressure so no more worrying about blowing the seal. Also this is all done using the newer style valve body cores, no more hard to find cores and the fluid flow is better.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    It was one of the drums he fit 8 alto clutches. Can't remember what one. His name was Racetstev on neons.org. I think he got out of neons though.

- - - Updated - - -

I just looked at my PM's on neons.org from Racetstev from 6 years ago. Apparently it was welded, and then re-lined with "carbon". Not sure what to make of that.
    Yes it would have been Racersteve.he did kinda of fall of face of earth.not sure what happened to him.very knowlegable guy

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

We still tear high gear clutches every now and then its been forever since I tore a band up. We are pushing 1100-1200hp through it though, I never weld the bands and I un 180-200psi line pressure.

You guys are putting that kind of power through parts you said you can't share since you are in competitive racing. Sortof a reason for people to look at 41te's since either way you need unavailable parts.
    I for one, can't compete in any sort of racing class you are in.

Are you using lockup now?
    Last edited by Ondonti; 10-21-2015 at 06:10 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    You guys are putting that kind of power through parts you said you can't share since you are in competitive racing. Sortof a reason for people to look at 41te's since either way you need unavailable parts.
    I for one, can't compete in any sort of racing class you are in.

Are you using lockup now?

Where was that ever said? We are always trying to get people in on the things we have made. But most of the time people aren't interested. We would love to see more Mopars in our class.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Where was that ever said? We are always trying to get people in on the things we have made. But most of the time people aren't interested. We would love to see more Mopars in our class.
    I for one would love to be able to purchase some of the parts you have developed. But I feel with my budget, I would be wasting the time of both parties. Haha.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Has anyone contacted Alto to see if they will re-line frictions? I know what the process is for the most part and because of what I know I wouldn't think it would be all that big a deal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast