Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 86 GLHS decal kit

boostaholic

86 GLHS decal kit

Ok looking for a decal kit, who sells them?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 86 GLHS decal kit

http://www.unleashedbyshelby.com/WebsiteInventory.html

Good guy to deal with. He's who I bought my Scamp GT decals from.

boostaholic

Thanx, I contacted them a while ago and would/could not do the ones for my car #053 it say's "Intercooler" instead of "Intercooled", but I found a guy on the OTHER forum...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    Thanx, I contacted them a while ago and would/could not do the ones for my car #053 it say's "Intercooler" instead of "Intercooled", but I found a guy on the OTHER forum...
    Does it now? I have several pictures of 053 from back in the 90's, I should look.

Working on clearing the decks.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

This has nothing to do with decals, but I spoke with a guy at Car Craft Summer Nationals who was checking out the GLH. He said he crewed on a race team back in the day and they raced #052 and #053.

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    He said he crewed on a race team back in the day and they raced #052 and #053.
    053 is from Mystic CT, I drove the car and almost purchased it from the original owner.

The car was very original and unmolested, it still had the factory front pads on it with 120,000 on the clock. The gent who owned it was a sales rep who drove up and down the eastern seaboard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neil17.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	56176Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neil_cars8.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	56175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neil18.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	56177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neil-2.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	56178

The garage pictures were taken at my place, the track Cecil County. I passed the location of the car along to Neil when I declined to purchase it.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    053 is from Mystic CT, I drove the car and almost purchased it from the original owner.

The car was very original and unmolested, it still had the factory front pads on it with 120,000 on the clock. The gent who owned it was a sales rep who drove up and down the eastern seaboard.
    I guess I remember the number wrong, but I know it was fifty something. He also said they were testing VNT turbos prior to 1989.

I guess I remember the number wrong, but I know it was fifty something. He also said they were testing VNT turbos prior to 1989.
    1) its possible but 053 was very unmolested when I looked at it in the early 90's. The silver turbo valve cover is correct for that car as it was one of the early ones and shelby had not turned out the black shelby valve covers yet. I seem to recall the mobile one badge was on the valve cover itself.

Edit: If you look close you can see it in one of the pictures, I guess my memory isn't doing to badly.

2) Yes they had been testing VNT for years, the "shelby stuff" was just early pull from chrysler engineering. I have a report from chrysler/lotus dated 1987 and you might be surprised at was was being tested in that time frame for 1989-1990 production.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

The gent you met may have been referring to the number on the door of the car (racing number). I'm fairly certain there were Shelby Chargers raced with door numbers 52, 53, and 54.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Ok looking for a decal kit, who sells them?
    We have some $139 a set
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

boostaholic

Cindy, I needed ones that say Intercooler, I got them now

2) Yes they had been testing VNT for years, the "shelby stuff" was just early pull from chrysler engineering. I have a report from chrysler/lotus dated 1987 and you might be surprised at was was being tested in that time frame for 1989-1990 production.
    Yep, they had been playing with all kinds of stuff for years. Shoot, Chrysler/Shelby had 16V motors on the dyno in 83! Why it took them until 91 to make production is beyond me. I remember a story about a particularly nasty GLH running around the skunkworks with a de-stroked 2.0L version with a Hans Hermann head & twin side draft webers. There is even a picture of the engine bay in one of my old books. I guess it gave new meaning to "GLH". Supposedly it was a favorite of the testers. Revved to the moon, and was every bit as fast(if not faster) than a turbo car...

In '81 they built a PPG pace car Charger that had what was probably the prototype manifold for the original 2 piece TII intake. It looks so close it crazy, other than it's a fabricated piece instead of cast. I'm sure data from that motor was used to built the TII...

They played with a lot of really cool stuff... Too bad most of it never made it to production...

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    They played with a lot of really cool stuff... Too bad most of it never made it to production...
    If you check the patent records, you will find a variable runner intake with a very familiar looking intake port pattern.

One of these days I'll get around to building one.

boostaholic

The garage pictures were taken at my place, the track Cecil County. I passed the location of the car along to Neil when I declined to purchase it.

these pictures are really cool keep them coming!

these pictures are really cool keep them coming!
    I'll have to dig about and see what I have handy, I have several thousand pictures and it can be time consuming.

boostaholic

I'll have to dig about and see what I have handy, I have several thousand pictures and it can be time consuming.

Any you have will be appreciated, and more info on the car, pre-Neil

If you check the patent records, you will find a variable runner intake with a very familiar looking intake port pattern.

One of these days I'll get around to building one.
    I personally would have loved to have gotten my hands on the 16V AWD Daytona they were playing with...

Any you have will be appreciated, and more info on the car, pre-Neil
    Well I found the car through one of the local car dealers, can't remember if it was Papa Dodge or Linder Dodge. I was driving my '86 Turbo I Daytona on the time but was tinkering with intercooling it or just buying an intercooled car. The was around 1990-1992. One of the sales people called me back and let me know about 053 as the guy went to trade it in and they offered him little money having 120,000 on the clock.

Former owner lived in Mystic CT which was 15 minutes from my place so I called him and popped over. As I said he was a salesmen who did a lot of miles up and down the east coast. I went for a road test and it was all right but ended up passing on the car as from my point of few it was just a modified TI car and I had already blown up a few 525's at that point. My memory is fuzzy but I think he wanted $3000 for the car which I also thought was a touch high for the miles.

I ended up buying a complete 1989 Turbo TII engine with 79k with Rad/cooler for $700 from a local yard.

Neal ended up with the car through me and I met him through his dad. His dad lived down state near Sikorsky (might have actually worked there but don't recall) and had some RWD Mopar stuff for sale which is how I ended up at his doorstep. While checking out his '68 Hemi Cuda he mentioned his son was looking for a car and I pointed him to Mystic CT.

Neal drove the car around stock for a few years (which was hilarious as I had an '85 GLH Turbo that has a straight pipe and 18 psi bleed on the map and would just run away from the stock GLHS, its the silver one in the group shot. I owned both the blue charger AND the red charger at one point)

The car may or may not have had the GLHS quarter decals, I think the original owner removed them so that the car was more of a sleeper. I'll have to look through my pictures for quarter shots but I think they were gone when I road tested it.

So I was saying Neal drove the car for a few years stock or nearly so, he was going to college in RI off Exit 3 and making regular trips to his dads place Stamford and one night I got a call from him as he was broke down in the Mystic/Stonington area on I-95. One of the TI rods exited the block while Neal was tooling down the interstate. We hung out with Neal till dad showed up with the Cuda's box trailer too load up and make the trip back to Stamford. I remember his dad was pissed that the car was dripping oil onto the very clean trailer floor but not much could be done about that.

boostaholic

Well I found the car through one of the local car dealers, can't remember if it was Papa Dodge or Linder Dodge. I was driving my '86 Turbo I Daytona on the time but was tinkering with intercooling it or just buying an intercooled car. The was around 1990-1992. One of the sales people called me back and let me know about 053 as the guy went to trade it in and they offered him little money having 120,000 on the clock.

Former owner lived in Mystic CT which was 15 minutes from my place so I called him and popped over. As I said he was a salesmen who did a lot of miles up and down the east coast. I went for a road test and it was all right but ended up passing on the car as from my point of few it was just a modified TI car and I had already blown up a few 525's at that point. My memory is fuzzy but I think he wanted $3000 for the car which I also thought was a touch high for the miles.

I ended up buying a complete 1989 Turbo TII engine with 79k with Rad/cooler for $700 from a local yard.

Neal ended up with the car through me and I met him through his dad. His dad lived down state near Sikorsky (might have actually worked there but don't recall) and had some RWD Mopar stuff for sale which is how I ended up at his doorstep. While checking out his '68 Hemi Cuda he mentioned his son was looking for a car and I pointed him to Mystic CT.

Neal drove the car around stock for a few years (which was hilarious as I had an '85 GLH Turbo that has a straight pipe and 18 psi bleed on the map and would just run away from the stock GLHS, its the silver one in the group shot. I owned both the blue charger AND the red charger at one point)

The car may or may not have had the GLHS quarter decals, I think the original owner removed them so that the car was more of a sleeper. I'll have to look through my pictures for quarter shots but I think they were gone when I road tested it.

So I was saying Neal drove the car for a few years stock or nearly so, he was going to college in RI off Exit 3 and making regular trips to his dads place Stamford and one night I got a call from him as he was broke down in the Mystic/Stonington area on I-95. One of the TI rods exited the block while Neal was tooling down the interstate. We hung out with Neal till dad showed up with the Cuda's box trailer too load up and make the trip back to Stamford. I remember his dad was pissed that the car was dripping oil onto the very clean trailer floor but not much could be done about that.
    Thats really cool, as far as the car being one of or the factory brochure car what do you know about that, all I know is what I read one the ND Performance site on the rebuild. The car has the intercooler decals on it and that's what I am putting back on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast