Thread: Restoration Station - First-Hand Experience Wanted

Hybrid booster

Restoration Station - First-Hand Experience Wanted

Hey guys,

I'm planning on doing quite a few little fixes on my '89 Lancer Shelby that I have sadly neglected for too long. My questions are going to be as to quality of aftermarket parts, as I know that many of the aftermarket options are pretty terribad for our cars.

One thing I'm interested in, is the Supra PCV valve mod. What year range do I need for it to be the compatible swap? I couldn't find the year or part# sited anywhere. (Tightening up the PCV system and will be adding catch can, eventually installing cone air intake)

For these other items, I was hoping to use RockAuto as my source, so long as the quality of the parts are up to par. If you guys have any first-hand knowledge on these items, please chime in!

Power Steering Pressure Hose:

EDELMANN 91703 - $18.34
    https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=475&jpid=2

GATES 367310 - $23.79
    https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=475&jpid=4

Heater Valve:

FOUR SEASONS 74863 - $8.23
    https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=494&jpid=0

Distributor Rotor:

AIRTEX / WELLS 4R1025A
    https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=508&jpid=7

HEP (Hall Effect Pickup/Distributor Pickup):

I've heard that the aftermarket options for these are absolute junk. Mine gave me a scare not too long ago, the car stalled out, couldn't get it to start, sure enough pulled code 54. I fiddled with it and got it to work, though I believe that every once in a while it "flickers" its signal and I believe it's about to give up.

Is there a good aftermarket option for these? Or should I simply try to scrounge one up through the dealers?

TRIM SCREWS:

So I have recently acquired and painted the headlight trim (bucket) pieces and the front air-dam (ground fx) and they are curing in my lil' booth right now. However, I am missing the screws for both. There are three screws that hold each headlight trim piece on, and a bunch that will mount the air-dam to the underside of my front bumper. Does anybody have part numbers on these, OR, know of a factory appearing solution? I made several searches online, but couldn't come up with replacements for these oddball screws.

As ALWAYS, I sincerely appreciate your opinions. I just wanted to make one note, forum threads have a tendency to evolve into an argument/debate. I'd like to keep the thread focused around first-hand experience and I can take that knowledge and use it to guide me onto the right path.

Thank you all,

Zachary Edie

Hybrid booster

Re: Restoration Station - First-Hand Experience Wanted

Update:

I went to our local Chrysler dealer and they couldn't find the GFX screws in their part system, unfortunately. I happen to have ONE screw that was lodged in my front GFX piece when it arrived to me. Here's a couple pictures, is this the original mounting screw? If so, I can bring it in to the dealer and see what we can find, if nothing, I have a template to find a suitable replacement by other means.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

So In my experience with RockAuto I've gotten great parts, and total junk. Struts that were listed as the most expensive in the lineup for an 89 turbo Mini were junk right outta the box. Headlights that were ordere3d twice and still don't fit. However if it's a name brand component for a name you have had good experience then go for it. Last cam belt I got was a gates and 1/2 the price of the local box stores.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

If you have one of the screws, go here: http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/ you should be able to find a suitable replacement.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    So In my experience with RockAuto I've gotten great parts, and total junk. Struts that were listed as the most expensive in the lineup for an 89 turbo Mini were junk right outta the box. Headlights that were ordere3d twice and still don't fit. However if it's a name brand component for a name you have had good experience then go for it. Last cam belt I got was a gates and 1/2 the price of the local box stores.
    Yup- got "name brand" clearance struts that turned out to be junk and had to eat the cost as they were on the car 30 days while on the lift. Some of the bargains are no bargain at all. Just ordered an NGK O2 sensor for my truck, hopefully an NGK sensor arrives!

Working on clearing the decks.

boostaholic

I had the same experience with a couple of clearance struts from rock auto. Everything else I've gotten was fine..

Hybrid booster

Can anyone confirm that this is or is not the original mounting screw? If it is, I should be able to find replacements.

Does anyone have a part number for the front GFX and headlight (bucket) trim fasteners/screws?

Thank you,

Zach

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
    Can anyone confirm that this is or is not the original mounting screw?
    Looks like one.

Working on clearing the decks.

Hybrid booster

Hey guys, I've found just about everything I was looking for, thank you all for your input. The only thing still giving me trouble is mounting hardware for the front GFX. Though I was able to finish up the headlight trim. I'll leave a couple pics here in case anyone is interested.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Nice looking LS I like the black accents you added like the rear lip spoiler Those rims look right for the car too, whats their specs?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Nice looking LS I like the black accents you added like the rear lip spoiler Those rims look right for the car too, whats their specs?
    Thanks man! When I got the car at 17 it was in really bad shape, but I've slowly built it up over the years. That thur paint job is Rustoleum protective enamel and my first crack at painting a car, plus it's four years old at this point haha. I was happy with the results.

The rims are 16" and I believe 6" wide, I got them years ago cause they came with a decent set of tires on them second-hand for a very good price, no idea what they are really. They are considerably lighter than the snowflakes though. I'm getting a little tired of them, personally, and plan to purchase a modern "mesh" style set of rims in the next year or so. (first is my BC coilover conversion )

Hybrid booster

Here's a little update on what I did to solve the front GFX issue.