Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dodge Dart GLH On The Way?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Dodge Dart GLH On The Way?

Legacy engineers are all that you have to connect the dots to the old company. When they are gone it's truly a new company
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I just don't like FIAT.

Or the fact that our government loaned 17 billion US Taxpayer dollars to an Italian company and then forgave 9 billion in outstanding debt.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    The Dart, the 200, the Cherokee, and the Renegade are all EXCELLENT.
    Are the dealership tech stories about needing to be pushed into the dealership after the trans failed backing them off the transport BS?

That's not to say there weren't transmission problems when Chrysler was Chrysler...
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Are the dealership tech stories about needing to be pushed into the dealership after the trans failed backing them off the transport BS?

That's not to say there weren't transmission problems when Chrysler was Chrysler...
    Seeing as how ive been working as a tech at a Dodge dealer for over 5 years, I would say its bullshit because I've never seen it.

Hybrid booster

Every car I've ever owned has been a Chrysler product. Maybe I'm stubborn, maybe I'm loyal, don't know don't care lol. I really like a lot of the current Chrysler products and think the company is doing a good job. I couldn't kill my old 99 Stratus and ended up selling it, my 06 Stratus is holding up good, and my wife and I love our 2013 Caravan. I'm younger and never lived through the original muscle car era so the name recycling doesn't really bother me as much. Ford and GM use names that they have used for decades, why not Chrysler?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    or , lets invent a company for arguments sake
    we'll call it Joe's dounuts

40 years go past everyone loves Joe's dounuts

then Ted's coffie buys out Joe's dounuts

soon , Joe's dounuts are made useing the same dounut mix as Ted's coffie uses

now are you eating a Joe's dounut or a Ted's dounut ?

the printing on the bag don't mean much .. as long as the ink ain't toxic lol
    Here is where you are messed up and I will correct you. Your assumption is basically Fiat came over and made a bunch of cars and labeled them mopars. That is false. Chrysler operates a lot more independently of fiat then what you are thinking. They share technology. It isn't a bunch of italians storming in designing and engineering all our cars. Chrysler uses some Fiat architecture as a base, and then modifies it to suit their needs. That saves millions if not billions of dollars. It's real easy for you to huff and puff about them not staying true when you don't have to spend obscene amounts of money developing new car platforms. Why do you think in the 80's the k car was the base of basically everything we made? To save money.

turbo addict

Why make a Dart with a 240 hp 4 while a 295 hp Chrysler 200 has only 200 lbs more to haul...they should turbo that 3.5 and then put IT into the Dart.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Seeing as how ive been working as a tech at a Dodge dealer for over 5 years, I would say its bullshit because I've never seen it.
    I'm sure it was an exaggeration of the highly publicized problems with the 9speeds software.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I didn't say anything about fiat

I did say the charger , 300 and challenger are repackaged / rebranded damiler crap
    - which I wish not to own thanks

as for fiat .. 3 ish years before they bought out damiler for cryco , fiat could not find anyone who wanted to own fiat

severial years ago now , on the day GM closed down the truck plant here in oshawa , the premier of ontario said the government of ontario was in talks with fiat ... also about the same time

point of note , the now former premier of ontario and the guy who runs fiat are old school buddies - or at lest were at that point in time

with america pulling production of stuff back to the states , I see anything that replaces the challenger that's built here in brampton being built in the states too

that leaves fiat with a big plant here to build their own junk in canada - with a fiat friendly government

unless , they decide they don't want to pay one of the highest hydro costs in north america - which I'd bet the dont wanna do , now the government has effed up hydro here

turbo addict

yeah as per the K car being a basis of everything 80's - that's still old school mopar

everything , mostly 60's and 70's was based off your clasic B body ,

a body is just a smaller design , as per L vs K

C body was something a little more

basically I'm saying I don't wanna buy someone elses' stuff just 'cause you put your name on it

the only thing lower than regifting is rebranding

as for the very newest cryco stuff , whatever it is , I have no interest in knowing anything at all about it

don't want it , not gonna even think about it , don't care .. really don't

bottom line cryco sold out , years ago - that's when I stoped careing
    same time crysler did , stop careing

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

You do realize that Chrysler and VW were partnered and sharing tech when they started building the Omni? And all the old muscle car guys said the same words you are saying, way back then, and still are. That's why they are stuck on riding around in cars that make 300whp (maybe) and get 12mpg, listening to an 8-track. Yeah that was the good old days, alright...

This whole debate is highly comical to those with any sense.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

I'm sure it was an exaggeration of the highly publicized problems with the 9speeds software.
    Anything that has to do with transmissions and Chrysler gets blown out of proportion. We can thank the a604 for that lol. The 9 speed does have a snap ring issue that breaks and causes hard shifting. I drove a 200 2.4 9 speed for a few days. It's a decent unit. Once they iron out the kinks it will be a good trans. Both 8+9 speed trannies are simple also.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    You do realize that Chrysler and VW were partnered and sharing tech when they started building the Omni? And all the old muscle car guys said the same words you are saying, way back then, and still are. That's why they are stuck on riding around in cars that make 300whp (maybe) and get 12mpg, listening to an 8-track. Yeah that was the good old days, alright...

Omni/horizon were definitely more European than American in design.

Actually I've read that the same exact 9 speed has been been relatively trouble free in Acura vehicles, and that its Chryslers software causing the problems.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post

as for the very newest cryco stuff , whatever it is , I have no interest in knowing anything at all about it

don't want it , not gonna even think about it , don't care .. really don't
    Let me preface this by saying that I am not trying to attack you personally in any way. But that is an extremely close-minded statement. You are welcome to believe whatever you want to believe, but just consider that fact that you may end up missing out on something great if refuse believe in change. I'm curious what you currently drive now since you stopped buying Chrysler products?

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

turbo addict

Actually I've read that the same exact 9 speed has been been relatively trouble free in Acura vehicles, and that its Chryslers software causing the problems.
    Yes and no. It only affects 9 speeds actually built by Chrysler (not ZF built 9 speeds). Chrysler is licensed to manufacture 8 and 9 speeds from ZF. They can change the design of it as they please and ZF can then copy those changes to make them better. What happens is the snap ring for the C clutch is oriented wrong. Supposedly if you flash them soon enough it will stop the snap ring from snapping but I'm kind of skeptical.

turbo addict

I don't take car stuff personally , no worries there

I haven't ever bought anything new , never could afford it
    started as an A body mopar fan - couldn't keep up with body rot here in toronto so in 88 I got a 3 year old turismo - which killed every part in one year
    that got converted to mostly everything shelby charger in 89-90

before the conversion that car was the biggest pile of crap I'd ever seen due to the repeated failures

but man , did it ever drive better that any of the old stuff - and I'm sure the same applies for the cloud cars above the TD's and again for the current stuff over the now old cloud cars

but that dosen't mean I want any of them

I'm more a car specific kind of guy , not so much a brand follower

62 impalla bubble tops are cool , 62 vettes , very , 65 impalla - gotta be a rag top and even a 350 /350hp '70'1/2 camero is cool in my book ( please don't think me a chevy guy by listing those examples)

as are many early / mid 60's fords , poncho's and others

loved my 66 coronet 500 - wish I hadda done something with it - maybe I'll buy another

don't care one bit for the trendy mopar muscle , 68-70 B's and E's I could care less but a 71 road runner is cool

from 2001 to about 2009 I drove a 95 mercurey hate it to hell but at the same time I respected it too
    almost 600 000KM's when I stoped driveing it - only because I had my father's hand me down 01 f150

the merc went all that way needing only brakes , ball joints , 1 battery and that's it

in my book that's one dam good car

my 01 fairmont was about that good too - to boot it was also a v8 car which made the fairmont really good

I may or may not have the cash shortly for something new after both my parrents past this year ... but I can't think of any one new car I'd want so that probably won't happen simply for lack of desire

my buddy had a white 2012 boss 302 which suprisingly , I really liked but I doubt I'd actually go looking to buy one
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 08-28-2015 at 01:19 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post

yeah , I know

I know "those guys" cut the TD's all to hell then go nuts for 69 coronets to think of one guy I know
    - it's kinda funny to hear him rave on about his coronet r/t but he's now driveing a 04 mustang (super clean car ) and any of my TD's he craps on would smoke him at any stop light anywhere anytime in either of his cars - if I still drove them

he one of those thinks he's a car guy types that will numb your brain repeating oil promo info to ya all night as that's all he really knows , or thinks he knows

as for the new stuff the first thing that kills it all for me , cars or trucks is they're just to fat
    - to thick from rocker to window sill

my buddy with the 12 boss 302 had another buddy park his new challenger next to him one night - said it was like having a pick up truck roll up beside him - and that 's considering that boss is a pretty "thick" car too

me , in the near future , I'd be happy with a decient newer ride for day to day , but I don't want any of the current new stuff of any brand really , IF I have the cash for it , there's a fresh resto 69 vette roadster I'd like to scoop locally

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...ationFlag=true

- and another TM/TD that's rot free to fiddle with and find a home for the really nice TM/TD stuff I've collected in the past 5 years since I got online and that what I've saved even longer

finding TM and TD five years ago was like finally finding my way home after a long long trip

and my goodness have youse guys been busy while I was away

these two sites were like ... WOW !!! , when I found em - like a bear in the woods finding a huge log full of honey lol

as I found these sites my coronet and 70's ford truck got moved way back past the back burner and right off the stove

I had the truck from 91 until two months ago so I was pretty commited to that project as it was something I'd wanted since I was a kid back in the 70's

I guess my bottom line is I'd rather build something new rather than buy something new

having been able to smoke a newish vette back around 98/9 with my little blue turbo z , knowing what it took to build it was way way more satisfying than anything I could ever have bought

I made that vette look like it was going backwards for about one tenth of the cost

maybe this explains why I'm not into new cars (?)
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 08-28-2015 at 01:29 PM.

Mitsu booster

I'm hoping they build this or the SRT-4 soon, sick of waiting for it (2 calendar years...really!!!). As far as HP, I'm ok with 240 HP, as long as I can turn it up to the 350-400 HP mark, and the transmission they put in it can hold up to the torque. Wasn't able to shell out the cash for the Neon SRT4, and didn't want to shell out cash for the SRT4 Caliber - although the engine in that was pretty sweet. Saw the Dart and loved the shape...very sexy compared some of the other small car things coming out of Dodge, and now I can drop the cash for a new one - saving my first new car purchase for this thing. If they want to save the AWD for the SRT4 and leave the GLH for FWD and make it more "Roadrunner" cost effective, I'm good with that. The biggest struggle is waiting for the warranty to run out before the improvements start happening . Also nervous about buying the first round...don't want to go buy one, and the next year the cars got 50 to 100 more HP and a bullet proof drivetrain (example...here's the keys to your brand new 86 Daytona Turbo Z, drive it for 3 months and pick up the flier for the 87 Shelby Z...awww crap). Yeah, I'm also wondering why the Dart hasn't taken off, very sharp car, this and the 200. You should have seen some of the flaming going on with a recent MotorTrend rewind on the Shelby Charger...as always they were clamming it disgraced the old school Chargers...typical stuff. I vote yes for the GLH & SRT4...build them both.
    Last edited by MGeyer; 08-28-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_chally_yard.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	56109

My current daily driver and first new vehicle.

It has been great with over a years use and have nothing to complain about.

Working on clearing the decks.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Yes and no. It only affects 9 speeds actually built by Chrysler (not ZF built 9 speeds). Chrysler is licensed to manufacture 8 and 9 speeds from ZF. They can change the design of it as they please and ZF can then copy those changes to make them better. What happens is the snap ring for the C clutch is oriented wrong. Supposedly if you flash them soon enough it will stop the snap ring from snapping but I'm kind of skeptical.
    I got a chance to drive a new Chrysler 200 that my brother-in-law rented, it had the dial a drive knob on it...was this the 9 speed? Granted I didn't drive it more than twice, but it had this interesting quirk to it when you try to accelerate and it wouldn't go right away, then you push down a little harder and it would then grab and take off too hard and you had to quickly back off the throttle, wasn't really smooth. Is this normal for these newer tranny's? I'm not sure, but guessing it was a combination of the drive by wire (if this has that), and the computer trying to figure out which gear to be in? Am I off base here? I'll be honest, not a fan of the "dial - a - drive" knob for a gearshift.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast