Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dodge Dart GLH On The Way?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Dodge Dart GLH On The Way?

Quote Originally Posted by MGeyer View Post
    I got a chance to drive a new Chrysler 200 that my brother-in-law rented, it had the dial a drive knob on it...was this the 9 speed? Granted I didn't drive it more than twice, but it had this interesting quirk to it when you try to accelerate and it wouldn't go right away, then you push down a little harder and it would then grab and take off too hard and you had to quickly back off the throttle, wasn't really smooth. Is this normal for these newer tranny's? I'm not sure, but guessing it was a combination of the drive by wire (if this has that), and the computer trying to figure out which gear to be in? Am I off base here? I'll be honest, not a fan of the "dial - a - drive" knob for a gearshift.
    The people who's cars have been rolling away aren't thrilled with it either.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015...away-risk.html
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

As much as I like the Dart and want a high-horsepower version, I'm not willing to pay for AWD. So if AWD is what they want to do for the SRT, fine, but give me an option between the GT and the SRT. If this "GLH" does someday exist, I don't care what they call it, for the right price I'd consider one.

The C635 is supposed to be rated for 258lb-ft torque, so a turbo 2.4 might put them north of that. A turbo 2.0 may be just perfect though. The ability to use that transmission as-is would certainly keep costs in check.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Mitsu booster

I read somewhere that part of the delay of the Dart SRT was that Ralph Gillies couldn't find a transmission that would hold up to the power that they wanted to give the car. Not sure what truth there is to that. Maybe the GLH proposed with the 300 HP engine is something they can put out there in the interim. Just hope they can make a manual strong enough to handle the higher torque values of a HO 2.4 - if they use it...fingers crossed they do. To add to this...I would think if they could put a transmission in Travis Pastrana's 600 HP - 550 lb-ft torque SRT Dart they can come up with something that'll handle 400 lb-ft or so of torque.
    Last edited by MGeyer; 08-28-2015 at 03:50 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Attachment 56109

My current daily driver and first new vehicle.

It has been great with over a years use and have nothing to complain about.
    Needs different wheels. Was never a fan of those base model 5 spokes. My mom bought a 2011 with the 3.6. No issues besides a blower motor dying. Has about 60k on it now.
    I installed an SRT8 front lip on hers. I like it much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    The people who's cars have been rolling away aren't thrilled with it either.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015...away-risk.html
    They have reports from a whopping 5 people that said it failed to go into park. They sell nearly 20,000 200's every month.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

If I am making the money needed to be in the market when the SRT version is released, I would absolutely pay more for AWD. Be pretty stupid to add power that you will have trouble putting to the ground. I would really love to be able to line up against a STi and feel like I was on even ground from a dig.

Not to mention it will increase versatility and year-round usability. Could open up WRC possibilities for Chrysler also.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post

They have reports from a whopping 5 people that said it failed to go into park. They sell nearly 20,000 200's every month.
    Fair enough.

How many of them should roll away on their own before it becomes a concern? Half?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by MGeyer View Post
    I would think if they could put a transmission in Travis Pastrana's 600 HP - 550 lb-ft torque SRT Dart they can come up with something that'll handle 400 lb-ft or so of torque.
    If by "they" you mean SRT or Chrysler (or Fiat), "they" didn't. That was a Sadev sequential box. Big bucks and completely impractical for a production car.

I HOPE that FCA follows suit with what Chrysler has done for years on high-power FWD cars (with the exception of the SRT-4) and that is turn to Getrag for a high-capacity gearbox. Either go with a complete unit (a la 288S in the PT, or DMT-6 in the Caliber) or maybe a replacement gearset for the Fiat C635 (like they did for our A555/A568's). I see that being the most cost-effective.
    Last edited by jonnymopar; 08-29-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    Jon J.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Side question while transmissions are being discussed, anyone know if the 5 speed in the base and gt cruisers are the same?

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    yeah as per the K car being a basis of everything 80's - that's still old school mopar

everything , mostly 60's and 70's was based off your clasic B body ,

a body is just a smaller design , as per L vs K

C body was something a little more

basically I'm saying I don't wanna buy someone elses' stuff just 'cause you put your name on it

the only thing lower than regifting is rebranding

as for the very newest cryco stuff , whatever it is , I have no interest in knowing anything at all about it

don't want it , not gonna even think about it , don't care .. really don't

bottom line cryco sold out , years ago - that's when I stoped careing
    same time crysler did , stop careing
    Cause the Lotus and Mazerati heads used on Dodges were all Chryco, and the partnership they had in sharing platforms/technology with Mistubishi long before there was ever talks of a buy out by anyone, and during the time of when guess you still cared about, didn't make anything Chryco put out anything put Chryco products.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Statistically speaking, 5 out of 20,000 (one month) is like a rounding error.

Something to keep an eye on but I'd not get excited. And there is this thing called "the parking brake" that could be used to avoid problems.
    Last edited by mopar-tech; 08-29-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Working on clearing the decks.

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Side question while transmissions are being discussed, anyone know if the 5 speed in the base and gt cruisers are the same?

Mike
    Nope. The base PT got the same T350 that Neons, 1st gen manual Stratus, and non-turbo Eclipse got. The GT got a Getrag 288S, which I don't believe was used on any other Chrysler, at least not in the US. If you take a peek inside a manual GT Cruiser, you'll see reverse up and left, just like the old days!

EDIT:

Also while we're on transmissions, I really want to know if the bell housing pattern is the same on the World 2.4 versus the Tigershark 2.4. That would open up the possibility of using the same transmission as the Caliber SRT-4.
    Last edited by jonnymopar; 08-29-2015 at 07:52 PM.
    Jon J.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Statistically speaking, 5 out of 20,000 (one month) is like a rounding error.

Something to keep an eye on but I'd not get excited. And there is this thing called "the parking brake" that could be used to avoid problems.
    No doubt a parking brake would have prevented the car from rolling, but not the park pawl from failing. Not sure what the big problem with a cable operated shift selector was. That may have prevented the park pawl failure.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Hybrid booster

Problem with cable operated shift selector is the trans is fully electronic. And the shift cable adds extra cost when it's not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    No doubt a parking brake would have prevented the car from rolling, but not the park pawl from failing.
    I don't disagree with that Mike, just pointing out that by the numbers its not a huge problem some people make it out to me and the "rolling away" issue can be prevented by just using the parking brake. I know when I learned to drive it was drilled into me to use the parking brake all the time, but this was in the age of the media blasting Ford for the same issue in the 70's.

Mitsu booster

Very good point. That would be nice, just like the Getrag gear sets...something that will handle the stress. Sorry for the late reply...was out of pocket for a bit.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    Cause the Lotus and Mazerati heads used on Dodges were all Chryco, and the partnership they had in sharing platforms/technology with Mistubishi long before there was ever talks of a buy out by anyone, and during the time of when guess you still cared about, didn't make anything Chryco put out anything put Chryco products.
    lol
    but chryco didn't whore themselves out to mazzi or lotus now did they

there's a big big difference between buying parts from a supplier and selling your very existance to the competition

or are saginaw steering boxes and collums going to be an issue too?

as for mitsu (crap) trying to sell that garbage was probably one of the problems with chrysler back in the late 70's and early 80's

like hey we're drowning so lets put rocks in our pockets

turbo addict

question

with say electronic trans control , electric parking brakes , electric throttle control , elecrtic power steering and brakes and god help ya steer by wire ...
    what happens when your voltage regulator drops dead and your battery soon follows it into the grave

does this new bundle of tech-no-joy drag you down into the hole with it?

or should we ask a chevy owner ?

Mitsu booster

I am thinking the Dart GLH along with the SRT-4 are pretty much dead since Sergio has taken to publicly calling the Dart and 200 "Failures". Another absolutely brilliant marketing move from the king of brilliant marketing. He can't find anyone willing to merge with him and I doubt there are many eager to built cars for him either. Here's a novel idea, give the people at Auburn Hills (you remember, the company you got for a song) some cash and a clean sheet of paper and turn them loose. I'm betting there is enough talent and pent up ambition in those halls to knock it out of the park.

Like most Mopar fans I miss the days of the independent Chrysler but, while not thrilled at current situation under Fiat it still seems to be better than it was under the Germans. Even under the Germans there were a few bright spots, the RWD LX cars brought rear wheel drive muscle (although mostly hand me downs) back to Chrysler/Dodge showrooms and God help me I really like my Crossfire Roadster.

For me Chrysler died in 1998 when Robert Eaton sold out to Daimler. I actually contend that it died when he was named CEO back in 1993. In my opinion he is an American Traitor who should be living out the rest of his days in Guantanamo Bay. I still wonder what the Chrysler 1998-present time period would have looked like if Bob Lutz would have become CEO back in 1993. I am still a Mopar enthusiast who holds out a sliver of hope that some day Chrysler once again becomes an independent American corporation. First order of business, bring back the Pentastar.

Quote Originally Posted by kensz View Post
    I am thinking the Dart GLH along with the SRT-4 are pretty much dead since Sergio has taken to publicly calling the Dart and 200 "Failures".
    He is trying to sell off the company to someone who already makes small cars. That way they can pickup "performance" and "suv" and "truck" divisions that they might not have in one shot.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kensz View Post
    For me Chrysler died in 1998 when Robert Eaton sold out to Daimler. I actually contend that it died when he was named CEO back in 1993. In my opinion he is an American Traitor who should be living out the rest of his days in Guantanamo Bay. I still wonder what the Chrysler 1998-present time period would have looked like if Bob Lutz would have become CEO back in 1993. I am still a Mopar enthusiast who holds out a sliver of hope that some day Chrysler once again becomes an independent American corporation. First order of business, bring back the Pentastar.
    I agree.

I tried to stay faithful to Chrysler post Diamler merger, but I had too many bad experiences and crappy vehicles. I love my 80's FWD Mopars, but I doubt I would ever buy a new Chrysler product.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123