Thread: Changing my wiring possibly, questions

Changing my wiring possibly, questions

i have my 85 Turbo Z wired to run on 86/87 GLHS style setup done to the factory T1 harness that the car came with stock. It came this way, car was running T2 a long time. I'm wondering is there is any benefit to changing over to 88 style electronics? wondered what was involved and if it was just changing the underhood harness or if i also had to do stuff the interior harness.

turbo addict

Re: Changing my wiring possibly, questions

I liked the 88-9 smec set up in my 86 turbo z

seemed like it had fewer fails with electrical stuff than the 86 and definately better than the 85 charger stuff I had before

I can't remember now if your 85 would have a 40r 50 way bulkhead connector but IF it's a 50 way connector than I think the easiest way to go smec would / might be an 88 turbo K car harness

why ?

simple , when the changed to smec they also reversed the bulkhead connectors and moved em under the dash

BUT in/on an 88 K car they did not do that

the 50 way bulkhead connector remains in the firewall just like the 86 without being reversed either so plugging in the 88 K car harness should be easy

there are some changes to connectors under hood in 86 so all of the 88 under hood harness and sub harness' would be ideal

- - - Updated - - -

useing any other smec harness would mean messing with the dash harness or a lot of spliceing due to the change in bulkhead connector positions

boostaholic

I'm currently working on an adapter harness to run a SMEC on my 85 turbo z. I'll put the logic board of the smec where the LM is now, and the power module under the hood.

I got the idea from here: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...wiring-the-car

As for advantages...slightly newer faster ECU, the turbonator code seems to be more advanced for the SMEC, you can run your wideband straight to the ECU so you can log it in MPScan. I'm sure theres more.

Well see I have a perfectly good 16v Masi thats complete and rather than recal, I figured change all the wiring harness to 88/89 style since I have the car fully running in the driveway to use with everything and the masi smec

Not finding many 88 k turbos, this sucks, but it was expected

boostaholic

When I swapped my GLHT race car from GLHS to 87 CSX electronics,it was a huge difference.
    Drivability, idle, ect.
    My next GLHT build will go from stock, straight to 87 electronics

I was trying to run no logic module cause I have a full 89 smec 16v masi running car, was trying to go full plug and play