Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3.0 SBEC Turbonator development

Mitsu booster

Re: 3.0 SBEC Turbonator development

Warlock, what is the max rpm-range the 3.8 is running or you intend to drive ?
    I have 2 3lv6 lebaron ('91+'93') and both go berzerk after aprox. 5700 rpm. The stock main routine is executed every 11mS and if you try go beyond then some "events" are missed and the engine begins to "saw"...
    I am sure the daytona ecu can be adjusted to work with the 3.8 but i guess we need little brainwork here.

Garrett booster

Does the Daytona ECU run better above 5700RPM than the van ECU? I was planning to use the van ECU and probably redline at 6.5K, anything more than that will need some head mods and maybe bottom end. The Shelby Can Am car would rev out to 7 and change (Thought it was a 3.3L). I imagine the processor on the SBEC-III is better than the SMEC, SBEC-I, and SBEC-II. IIRC, the SMEC and SBEC in Daytonas kind of lose their cool after 5800RPM because the ECU can't keep up with the motor.

Mitsu booster

Until '95 the sbec2 have for sure a 68hc11 cpu. From what i know the sbec3(a..b..c) and later ecm have a 68hc16 which executes faster. My guess is the sbec2 and before ecus were not really intended to drive the (v6) engines in the 5600+ range. I am also little sad about this behaviour - since i live at the other side of the pond having roughly 6-7% left of limitless "autobahn" ... it hurts so much being surpassed by every idiot volkswagen and such. Big lol here but hey its true

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WarlockSyno View Post
    Is this from a 3.0 SBEC III? If so, that means we can start tuning 3.3/3.8 engines!
    we're working on SBEC 1 right now for the 3.0, Then we'll start on SBEC 2. 3.3/3.8 will have have some different coding though, due to the coil pack ignition and having cam and crank sensors. shouldn't be bad though.

Also, you don't have to use the 98 computer, there are SBEC 1 and SBEC 2 unit that would be much easier I'm sure (think '91-95 Caravan, Dynasty etc).
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

That's true. I figured using a faster CPU would greatly help tuning. Since the older ECUs seem to freak out around 6K RPM. Though I doubt I'll be going that high. Thanks for the work!

Mitsu booster

In case you are keeping the a604 (inside the daytona)... does the a604 transmission bell housing match with the 3.8 engine?
    Last edited by olk93; 02-28-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Garrett booster

I don't want to end up hijacking this thread, but are you asking if the PCM and TCM are one unit? I don't believe so.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WarlockSyno View Post
    That's true. I figured using a faster CPU would greatly help tuning. Since the older ECUs seem to freak out around 6K RPM. Though I doubt I'll be going that high. Thanks for the work!
    They usually have a rev limiter at about 6k I know I've hit the limiter in my 89 turbo lebaron at 6250, but it wasn't going crazy.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12