Thread: Does my PumpEff table look crazy?

boostaholic

Does my PumpEff table look crazy?

I just spent the better part of two hours bombing around in the Z to get some data in order to attempt my hand at tuning the PumpEff table. I hooked my WG can direct to manifold vac, then dragged took the engine up to 2000-5000 RPM in increments of 500rpm, dragging the brakes to hold it for a few seconds until my AFR stabilized. I probably should have taken it to 6000 or 6500, but I didnt want to attract more attention to myself on the back road I was on that I all ready did.

Electronics are an 87 LM running Rob's Turbonator v13 code. Engine is a 2.2L with forged pistons in a .020" oversize. Ported 782 head with +1mm valves that flows 171 @ .500 on the intake and 141 @.500 on the exhaust, TU R5 camshaft, ported 1pc intake, 52mm TB, ported stock exhaust, and a S70 w/ .48 exhaust housing and 3" swingvalve, full 3" exhaust, 52lb injectors run at 55psi static, although to make the idle not crazy rich without knocking the PumpEff down to like 74% below 1500RPM I had to scale the injectors for 57.5lb. Is that the right approach or should I scale the injectors back to 52lb and adjust the PumpEff or FuelBaseFromMap to taste?

When I started my AFR went from 11.5 around 2000 RPM up to almost 13.5 at 5000 RPM. Now it's a much more steady 11 to 11.8 or through the same range. I need to find someplace to take it up to the rev limiter and see how it does up there. But, just for my own sanity...this doesn't look stupid right?

turbo addict

Re: Does my PumpEff table look crazy?

Here is mine.

boostaholic

Ok, so not too crazy. Some of my points are almost maxed out though. I bet when I put the TU cast header on I'll have to bump them up more. Should I scale the injectors up and the pumpeff down by the same amount to get some headroom in the table?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

looks great.

yeah you can rescale the injectors and then lower everything in the table to get some headroom.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

some stuff i forgot to mention....

the lower flow at idle is due to the cam so that area is good to go.

now what fuel pump/lines/filter? if fuel flow is restricted, it can make the torque peak peftbl values really high to maintain a certain afr.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

boostaholic

So the math to scale the tables, assuming I scale back to a 52lb injector, is:

52/57.5 = 90.4347826%

Yeah?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    some stuff i forgot to mention....

the lower flow at idle is due to the cam so that area is good to go.

now what fuel pump/lines/filter? if fuel flow is restricted, it can make the torque peak peftbl values really high to maintain a certain afr.

Brian

Walbro 255 (225? whatever) pump
    3/8 supply line, TU fuel tail, accufab regulator, using the factory 5/16" line as a return
    I'm not sure what the filter is. Some NAPA metal can thing with 3/8" ins and outs rated for fuel injection.

Everything under the hood is -6AN hose. One of these days I might just run that all the way back to the tank for supply and return. I think it would look neater than the crappy bending job I did with the 3/8 steel.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I scaled my cal for 58# injectors also to run +40 injectors. Got it closest to to right before tweaking than any other setting. My theory is the +40's were rated 52# @ 43.5, which makes them 58# @ our base pressure of 55psi.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    Walbro 255 (225? whatever) pump
    3/8 supply line, TU fuel tail, accufab regulator, using the factory 5/16" line as a return
    I'm not sure what the filter is. Some NAPA metal can thing with 3/8" ins and outs rated for fuel injection.

Everything under the hood is -6AN hose. One of these days I might just run that all the way back to the tank for supply and return. I think it would look neater than the crappy bending job I did with the 3/8 steel.
    So you shouldn't have a fuel flow issue unless the line got kinked.

You gonna just use the inj scaling function of mptune and then scale the peftbl down 10%

boostaholic

That explains a lot. On a stock cal only scaled for 52lb and 3 bar map, with a stock cam, my car ran stupid rich at idle. Like 10.5-11 AFR. Slashing the injector latency table by 50% helped a lot, but it was still in the high 12s and mid 13s at idle. Which, coincidentally, is about 10% too much fuel OR roughly the difference between a 52 and 58lb injector.

boostaholic

That's what I did. I haven't put the new tune in yet. I'll try it later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    So you shouldn't have a fuel flow issue unless the line got kinked.

You gonna just use the inj scaling function of mptune and then scale the peftbl down 10%

boostaholic

Didn't feel like messing with it today when I could just be driving it, so I left it as it for today.

I did notice though that initially the idle and cruise were a little on the rich side, like 12-13.5 or so. Eventually it got to 14.7. I wasn't datalogging, but I'm guessing that it just took a bit for the ECU adaptives to kick in? I also noticed that most everything was a little richer than I set yesterday. closer to 10.9 and 11 than 11.5. Why would it change like that?