Thread: Audiophiles - looking for solutions for sound in my Omni

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff speeddemon's Avatar

Audiophiles - looking for solutions for sound in my Omni

First thanks to anyone who helped me out with this.

Looking to replace the factory radio and speakers with something a little more current. Would like the new head unit to have CD/USB/aux input capability. Also want to replace factory front door speakers and replace the aftermarket speakers in the rear doors installed by a previous owner. I don't want to cut into the factory harness or dash structure to fit a new unit. Ideally the head unit will not be too flashy looking and is close to dash lighting or has changeable lighting color so I can get close to factory. No interest in installing speakers in any other location or placing and amp in the car. Just want some decent sound and audio options when travelling.

Suggestions? Tips?
    Craig
    SDAC Board Member
    1985 GHLT
    1986 GLHS 047
    2005 SRT4 ACR

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Audiophiles - looking for solutions for sound in my Omni

I'm assuming these are for your Omni???

Here is a package deal using Kicker speakers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Dodge-O...33ddc6&vxp=mtr

I've had very good luck with Kicker products. Good sound, but reasonably priced...

Consider all inputs, bluetooth, satellite, and the rest. I didn't think I cared about XM/Sirius until my girlfriend had it and it was an option to use her ID on my radio for our trip, but alas, I didn't have it as an option for my headunit. I think most will come with every option now for a little bit more and those tend to have an EQ built in, although limited to the functionality. I purchased a Pioneer head unit and then got some Pioneer speakers to "match" it. Can't say they sound that much better than stock, but the hardware quality seems to be a little better, mainly the magnet sizes.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

+1 on the kicker speakers. I put a ridiculous kicker system in the lancer north of 1000w.

The amazing part is that I ran the front dash speakers off a kenwood $150 head unit and those speakers rock just on the head unit.

When you choose speakers it's tempting to go with speakers that have the highest wattage rating. Bad mistake. In your case you want to stick to speakers that have a lower wattage requirement that will better interface with the available wattage provided by the head unit. In my case the kickers in the dash for the lancer are 3.5" speakers rated for I think 30w rms. The head unit can do 50w rms by the book (always over stated by mfg). So even if it could put out 50 watts those 30w speakers will be happier in the long run. Reason for that is distortion kills speakers faster than anything. Adequate wattage saves speakers. So my 1000w system all the speakers are under rated for the available wattage as I dont listen to the speakers on full volume ever. So they are operating near max rms wattage at standard listening volume.

That said if you want a really great sound you may want to entertain an all-in-one sub for under a seat that would contain its own amplifier. This will make a profound impact on the overall sound quality of your system.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I have Kicker speakers/sub in my Caliber and they sound great.

On my Omni, I have a Pioneer 5900IB head unit, Pioneer 5 1/4" speakers in the doors, and some super cheap Pioneer 6"x9" speakers mounted in boxes from Walmart (Scosche?). Those boxes are secured to the rear seat using the seat belts and can be easily unplugged/removed in the rare times that the car has cargo or passengers. I also have the iPod/iPhone interface cable going to the glove box and a Delphi RoadyXT XM/Sirius radio tuner mounted on the dash which uses the Aux input on the Pioneer head unit.

It sounds pretty good; nothing great. The car has stiff suspension, motor mounts, 3" exhaust etc...so I doubt it will ever sound great in there but it works for road trips. I have thought of making some kind of thin plywood sheet to reinforce the rear package tray and cut holes to mount the 6"x9" speakers there. The 5 1/4" front door speakers don't fit very well at all. They are too small and a 6.5" might be better there as long as the magnet (mounting depth) isn't so big or deep that it interferes with the window or regulator.

If I were to replace the head unit I would get one of the Pioneer digital media receivers. It lacks a CD player, but I never play them anymore anyway. It has Bluetooth, auxiliary input, USB etc.. It's cheap and the mounting depth is really shallow so it's sure to fit an L-body dash easily.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/MVH-X560BT

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff speeddemon's Avatar

Well here's what I ended up ordering.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/kmm-bt312u/ (bluetooth, front aux and usb intputs, adjustable lighting, small size)
    http://www.kicker.com/41KSC54 (2 pairs - 1 front doors/1 rear doors)

Installation next week.
    Craig
    SDAC Board Member
    1985 GHLT
    1986 GLHS 047
    2005 SRT4 ACR

boostaholic

One of the settings on the kenwood that requires you to adjust with bluetooth is to set it to all speakers instead of front only when bluetooth streaming. I thought my amps were toast when I first hooked up my system but it was that one simple setting.