Thread: Valve Stem Seals

turbo addict

Valve Stem Seals

So I have an '89 TII 8V car that smoked like a 3.0...really only at idle and throttle tip-in off of idle.

I found that all of the intake valve stem seals had popped up. The head has been rebuilt in the past.

What I'm thinking after talking with a friend of mine is that it has the wrong valve stem seals in it. I pushed them down as far as I could get them to go, but I didn't feel any sort of "engagement". The ones that are in there are blue and have a tension spring around the top as well as a spring band around the bottom. NONE of the pictures I've found of 2.2/2.5 stem seals look like this, so I'm thinking they are the wrong ones.

After I completed the job the car smokes MUCH less...I had to look for the smoke as I could smell it, but it wasn't easily visible.

So, has anyone ever seen the type of valve stem seals I am describing used on a 2.2/2.5? Has anyone had intake valve guides drop? (I've never seen it on a 2.2/2.5)

I had one hell of a time doing just the intake valves on Sunday because I don't have the correct valve spring compressor tool, so I'm not really looking forward to diving back into the engine and would rather not if I can help it.

Thanks!

turbo addict

Re: Valve stem sels

Chris,
    I have used that style of valve seal before without issues, however I usually just use the standard umbrella Viton valve seal. I really don't like using the Teflon seals, as I feel they don't allow enough oil to lubricate the valve stem.. I have never seen an intake guide drop, but obviously plenty of exhaust guides. Do you know if the guides have been replaced on this cylinder head? Some replacement guides have a much different style of seal retention barb than OEM. Many guides also have a built in stop that prevents guide from dropping. Some shops actually use a larger diameter valve stem in lieu of replacing the guides. These oversize stem valves require the use of oversize valve seals that match the new diameter of the replacement valves. It is VERY possible that the wrong size valve seal was installed on your vehicle. Many times installing trick parts thinking they are the latest and greatest just leads to issues down the road. There is a reason why Mopar used the Viton umbrella seal... they work.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 08-12-2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo

turbo addict

Re: Valve stem sels

Honestly I have no clue what was done with the head. I just (meaning yesterday) read about oversize stem valves, but I didn't know about them when I had the head apart, so I never thought to measure them I know it might seem silly I have never heard of the oversize stem valves, but I don't "fix" things that way, so I never even thought to find out if they existed. LOL

Thanks for the info!