Thread: '87 LM in 85 Lebaron no power at coil!!!! %$#! Help from the brain trust pls

Garrett booster

'87 LM in 85 Lebaron no power at coil!!!! %$#! Help from the brain trust pls

As you can tell. 87 LM into 85. wires added for external MAP. Wires moved for proper signals according to all the wonderful knowledge here. Still no power to coil at key on or cranking. ASD has 12V when key off. No codes from LM. Power on the J2 feed is ok.
    Tried 2 different HEPs and 2 different Power modules.

Suggestions?!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: '87 LM in 85 Lebaron no power at coil!!!! %$#! Help from the brain trust pls

Does the FP prime? Can you jump the positive side of the coil to the battery positive terminal and get the pump to run?

Garrett booster

Re: '87 LM in 85 Lebaron no power at coil!!!! %$#! Help from the brain trust pls

Get prime. Haven't jumped power yet. Short of an aneurysm I left it alone for a bit.

If it primes it should run. This is a rough one. Have you tried a different coil just for fun? I would think that the wire going to the coil has a problem though.

Garrett booster

That's what I thought. No different coil tried yet will do this afternoon as well as the Jumper.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Are you still trying to run the 85 distributor? You can't use an 85 dist with 87 electronics. It won't run. You need to match the dist to the LM.

Garrett booster

Everything is matched (this isn't my first dance) but thanks for the input. I tried jumping it with no results. Time to try a different HEP I guess. Running out of spare parts though! What are the odds I have 3 bad HEPs...

Quote Originally Posted by carmanspd View Post
    Everything is matched (this isn't my first dance) but thanks for the input. I tried jumping it with no results. Time to try a different HEP I guess. Running out of spare parts though! What are the odds I have 3 bad HEPs...
    You've already checked the continuity I take it?

I'm on board with the coil. Doubtful you have 3 spare HEPs that are bad. Even a weak coil will spark, so don't just test to see if it does. I'd buy a new one and test. You need fuel, spark and combustion. Confirm which one(s) you're missing. Pull the plugs too to ensure you have more than just fuel pressure. Also, check the ground for the injectors. THAT for sure will cause your problem as well as a bad coil.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

If I'm not mistaken the primary on the coil should have .75-1.00 ohms resistance, if that's the case then it's the coil (0.000).

Garrett booster

It's alive! different coil got spark. Then it turns out the old set of TII injectors I had were crap too. Different injectors and now we have a running car. Sheesh, never had so much grief. In 30 years of working on this stuff I've never had a bad coil. Guess I was overdue.

turbo addict

Yay! Bring it on the 29th. Looking like it's Jenny's on sprague off Argonne

Garrett booster

what time for meet?

Hybrid booster

8am last time, not sure if that's the case this time or? What say you Jay? You and I are the only ones that show up on time and end up waiting for the others
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

turbo addict

looks like 8am it is, Jenny's Cafe, Sprague, east of Argonne.