Thread: Help Needed !! axle/diff issue

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Help Needed !! axle/diff issue

I posted in the group buys I was a part of but figured since I haven't gotten any replies just views, I would post here too. My new DSS axles I am trying to install won't go in, nor do my old DSS axles, BUT they both go in on the stock diff.
    I thought I saw someone with this problem but did a search and found nothing.. any solutions? I really want these axles in before the weekend is over..
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

turbo addict

Re: Help Needed !! axle/diff issue

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I'm as lil confused Joe, they won't go in what, you made a change because the old ones wont go in either. Did you install an OBX diff into the trans by chance?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    I posted in the group buys I was a part of but figured since I haven't gotten any replies just views, I would post here too. My new DSS axles I am trying to install won't go in, nor do my old DSS axles, BUT they both go in on the stock diff.
    I thought I saw someone with this problem but did a search and found nothing.. any solutions? I really want these axles in before the weekend is over..
    Someone mentioned previously they rotated the axles to every possible position on the diff and found a spot or two where they fit, should fit every position but there was some variance.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I'm as lil confused Joe, they won't go in what, you made a change because the old ones wont go in either. Did you install an OBX diff into the trans by chance?
    I had a spare 568 trans built with a quaife since the 568 trans that was in the car had a stock diff. I also got a new set of axles since my original dss set is about 10 years old and I also happened to knick one of the boots.
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Someone mentioned previously they rotated the axles to every possible position on the diff and found a spot or two where they fit, should fit every position but there was some variance.

Thanks
    Randy
    tried that too... i got the driver side installed after cleaning up the splines and polishing it up a bit, but no luck on the pass. side yet, it's finally going in smoothly but stops about .375-.500" before being fully installed. The diff was machined to tightly on the tolerances.I guess better than being to loosely machined..

- - - Updated - - -

thats for the quaife in a 568 trans? or different trans? I'm not seeing why I would have to do that since I measured it and I have the depth clearance for the axle, but I guess I'll check again tomorrow.
    Turbo Joe

boostaholic

Not DSS but I've had recent trouble with axles. I thought for sure it was the spline but it turned out the bearing surface on the axle right after the spline, the part that fits into the diff bearing, was too large by 0.010". Ordered another and it was too large by 0.008".

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post

thats for the quaife in a 568 trans? or different trans? I'm not seeing why I would have to do that since I measured it and I have the depth clearance for the axle, but I guess I'll check again tomorrow.
    Trans doesn't matter. It's Quaife and TD axles. Cliff R. wrote that page.