Thread: Cleaning REALLY dirty leather

turbo addict

Cleaning REALLY dirty leather

OK, so I bought an '89 Masi TC 8V car with the intent to do a little work to it, drive it around a bit, then sell it. (my time frame just got truncated last night) Anyway, I started cleaning the interior, but quickly realized that there HAS to be a better way.

I am by NO means expecting a spray-on/wipe-off miracle (although if one exists, I'm game!), so I do realize elbow grease is going to be involved regardless of what I use.

So, having said that, the leather in the car cleans up pretty nice, so it still has life in it. I am looking for a good product OR home "remedy" for cleaning old, VERY dirty and neglected leather. The interior color for this car in ginger, so it's a lighter tan color. The part that I have done looks pretty darn good and once conditioned is as close to "new" as I think it can possibly get.

The stuff I tried is the typical stuff you find at the parts store. I tried using a toothbrush and towels. It works, but it's a LOT of work...2/3's of a door card took most of the spray bottle and my fingers are numb this morning!!

Thanks!

boostaholic

Re: Cleaning REALLY dirty leather

I usually steal the Saddle Soap and Leather Honey from the barn at my parent's house. You should be able to find it in any tack shop in your area.

You're still going to have to dump a lot of elbow grease on it, but a 12oz tin of saddle soap goes a long way and it's not very expensive.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I use some stuff I picked up at Tractor Supply and I love it.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...apy-wash-16-oz

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I've used simple green and even acetone on TC interiors with good results. It sounds harsh but they cut the grime. Be sure to feed the leather a good quality softener as soon as it's dry from the cleaning. Then feed it again, and again every week while the leather is warm. Is the dash leather or vent leather warped? Bout time for pics right? You didn't even mention the color code... Built after June 88 it will be common block and double pivot K frame

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

It's a Bordeaux with ginger interior. I haven't been able to raise the soft top yet because I haven't had help to get the hard top off and I don't want to damage the car, the top, or me! LOL

I started with the least harsh stuff...the regular leather cleaner...it did jack.
    I stepped up to Dawn, then Windex, and finally Purple Power. I mix some water with the Purple Power to knock it down a bit as that stuff is HARSH. So far, though, it's the ONLY thing that has been able to cut through the crap, but it STILL takes a good bit of work.

Once I'm done with the Purple Power, I then go after it with my Lexol cleaner. Then a use conditioner and let it soak it up, then buff it out. I bet I have a good 4-5 hours in the passenger door panel alone! I still haven't even done the inserts!! But, man...it looks NICE cleaned up!

I am going to focus on the mechanical stuff and getting all the lights and stuff working, then I'll worry about the rest of the interior.

The dash isn't too horrible. It's starting to lift on the passenger side where they all do, but not nearly as bad as I've seen some, so totally fixable. The little insert that goes between the dash and the vent has the leather curling, but again, not horrible. The vent is the same way. Seriously, it just needs some good TLC and it will be a BEAUTIFUL car!

It's strange that this thing is a common block, but NOT a double pivot car. I haven't check build date, actually. I know the last digits of the VIN seem kinda low, but I don't know what they all looked like, so it could just be a fluke.

boostaholic

turbo addict

Sorry...the car is Royal Cabernet with a Ginger interior. LOL Got the color wrong.

Definitely a CB car.

I tried to take a picture of the VIN this morning, but my camera on my phone wasn't cooperating.

I will be getting pics up soon.

BTW, fired the car up yesterday afternoon after re-timing the engine, etc. The smoking is MUCH less, but still there. I smelled it and I had to REALLY look for it to see it. I am pretty sure it has the wrong valve stem seals in it because I haven't found any aftermarket replacements that look like the ones that are in there. It purrs like a kitten, so I'm not sure if it's worth messing with it again.

A few years ago I posted as a trivia question," What's the only single year Chrysler that could have come with four different forged steel crankshafts?" Should be pretty easy for you Reaper

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

turbo addict

Has to be 1989.
    Non-CB
    CB
    Non-CB Masi
    CB Masi

Was actually a tough question when I first asked it years ago

turbo addict

What conditioner do you guys recommend?

turbo addict

I have been using Lexol, but recently discovered a product called Leatherique that is supposed to be the shiznit, so I will be giving that a go eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I have been using Lexol, but recently discovered a product called Leatherique that is supposed to be the shiznit, so I will be giving that a go eventually.

Leatherique is super heavy and super greasy, it's actually what is recommended by the TC List gang. But because it's so heavy, I mix just a couple ounces into an auto parts store brand of whatever, shake it up well and use that

turbo addict

Greasy? Did somebody not buff it out after they applied it?