Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Question, Shift Cables

Garrett booster

Urgent Question, Shift Cables

So, after using zip ties for about 6 months to hold down the cross over shift cable I thought it was time to finally replace it. Unfortunately, after trying two different cables, I can't seem to find the exact fit for my car. My car is an 87 LeBaron, 2.2L attached to a 520 trans. The last cable I ordered was the right overall length (52.6 inches I believe) but the length of the sheath that attaches to the trans, was proportioned differently, by about a 4 inch difference. Does anyone know the exact part number for my car? A fellow Turbo Dodge buddy thinks I ordered the cable for a 4 door LeBaron, but the AutoZone website never asked that question.

This is my daily driver, so I want to overnight the cable today! If I can get the right part number I won't waste any money overnighting the wrong one.

All help is appreciated!

turbo addict

Re: Urgent Question, Shift Cables

Can you post some pictures to show the difference?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Can you post some pictures to show the difference?
    I wish I could now! Unfortunately I am at work until 6 pm, won't have access to the cables until then. I can tell you that the one I was sent, the WRONG one, is Pioneer CA8205 part number. According to RockAuto, the OEM part #'s are: 4377321, 4377322, 4377326.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that the ball socket was too big to attach to the trans.

I'm hoping someone with the same year LeBaron purchased that cable and can recall the appropiate part number...

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Correct part number should be a 4431336 for the 5 speed crossover cable. At least that's the number in the 88 parts manual. Should be the same for 87... The selector cable # is 4431341. J & G body are the same...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Here's what I got from the 1989 fiche. I can't imagine that the 1987 is different.

Part number / Body / Description

04504305 / P,A,H / CABLE, Gearshift Control Selector, 51.00" Lg.
    04504304 / J,G / CABLE,Gearshift Control Selector,53.00" Lg.

04443500 / P,A / CABLE, Gearshift Control Crossover, 44.68" Lg.
    04443497 / J,G / CABLE,Gearshift Control Crossover, 47.48" Lg.
    04443498 / H / CABLE,Gearshift Control Crossover, 45.67" Lg.

Any of those other lengths match up with what you've got?

EDIT: just saw 83scamp's post. I guess the part numbers are different. My 1989 currently has one 1988 cable and one 1986 cable, so I know the lengths stayed the same.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Ok, I just downloaded the 87 parts manual. The crossover cable is listed as 4348495, and the selector cable is 4377318. Not sure what they changed from year to year, but they are all the same length for the same body style in the descriptions. Obviously in 90 they changed due to the new trans & shifters...

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

I wonder if you could still get a 525 in a non turbo lebaron in 87, maybe that's why different part numbers.

If you get a chance tonight take a pic and send it to me (Jakub has my number if you don't) I'll see what I have at home
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by shmedley View Post
    I wonder if you could still get a 525 in a non turbo lebaron in 87, maybe that's why different part numbers.
    I doubt it. Pretty sure 87-90, the only way to get a 525 was in an L-body. I could be wrong though....

Garrett booster

Guys, thank you so much for all of this info, this is GREAT information. I searched all the part numbers in RockAuto's catalog, they have nothing that matches. Since 83scamp got the second set of numbers straight from the 87 manual, I searched for that.

I got a hit from O'reilly's, the cable is listed for an 87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, but the engine and engine VIN matches exactly to that of the LeBaron. I think this is the one I'll have to overnight.

Garrett booster

After doing some more research here's what I found:
    Part # 4348495 (off of the 87 manual) matches with Pioneer part # CA8206.
    The part that I received in the mail from AutoZone is Pioneer part # CA 8205.
    However, when I found CA8206 in Autozone's website, it says "Does Not Fit Your Vehicle"...

BTW, if you need a copy of the parts manual, they are all posted over on turbododge.com: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...df-82-a-3.html post # 41 contains the links to everything from 82-96. Right click on the link, and save target as to your computer...

Quote Originally Posted by fcasta308 View Post
    After doing some more research here's what I found:
    Part # 4348495 (off of the 87 manual) matches with Pioneer part # CA8206.
    The part that I received in the mail from AutoZone is Pioneer part # CA 8205.
    However, when I found CA8206 in Autozone's website, it says "Does Not Fit Your Vehicle"...

Oh, and the J body LeBarons & G body Daytonas use the same shift cables by the parts book. That's why it hits for a Daytona.

Garrett booster

Thank you all very much for your help so far. 83scamp, I already downloaded and saved a copy of that manual, that's a great link you have there!

I have CA8026 coming in today. Once I pick it up I'll compare it to the original cable, but I have a pretty good feeling this will be a match. I'll update the outcome here in case anyone runs into this issue in the future.

Now, if we could just get Pioneer to make the selector cables for these cars, we would be all set...

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Now, if we could just get Pioneer to make the selector cables for these cars, we would be all set...
    If the one I receive today is an exact fit, then you'll be set. The CA8025 and CA 8026 numbers are Pioneer part numbers.

If the one I receive today is an exact fit, then you'll be set. The CA8025 and CA 8026 numbers are Pioneer part numbers.
    Not for the newer stuff. I'm putting an A-523 in my Daytona, they don't make both cables for the newer trans...

Garrett booster

Update: Received the new cable, CA8206 (Correction from CA8026) but that was the wrong cable as well. This cable was actually too long on both ends.
    I measured the original cable that was on the car. When the end that attaches to the trans is compressed all the way, the ball socket is 10 mm away from metal piece that attaches to the bracket. Overall length should still be about 52 inches.
    I have until 2 pm to request another cable and have it delivered by tomorrow but I'm drawing a blank on what to pick up next.

Update: Received the new cable, CA8206 (Correction from CA8026) but that was the wrong cable as well. This cable was actually too long on both ends.
    I measured the original cable that was on the car. When the end that attaches to the trans is compressed all the way, the ball socket is 10 mm away from metal piece that attaches to the bracket. Overall length should still be about 52 inches.
    I have until 2 pm to request another cable and have it delivered by tomorrow but I'm drawing a blank on what to pick up next.
    I'm assuming that's what happened to me as well. I bought a set of used cables from a member over on the other site. The selector cable is fine, but the crossover cable is too long on both ends. I only gave $20 shipped for the pair, so I really didn't lose anything on the deal... I found another cable from a member on here, so I should be good to go now. I know, it doesn't help your situation any...

Garrett booster

I'm assuming that's what happened to me as well. I bought a set of used cables from a member over on the other site. The selector cable is fine, but the crossover cable is too long on both ends. I only gave $20 shipped for the pair, so I really didn't lose anything on the deal... I found another cable from a member on here, so I should be good to go now. I know, it doesn't help your situation any...
    You've been nothing but help!

So here's where I'm at. If CA8206 is the gear selector cable, then the only other available cable, CA8207, MIGHT be the crossover cable. I had to request it from my local O'reilly's because AutoZone ONLY carries CA8206 under the general label of "Manual Shift Cable". Miraculously they can have it there today (by 11 am somehow!) but I will be picking it up after work. This time, I'll have the original one with me. Wish me luck!

Garrett booster

Not for the newer stuff. I'm putting an A-523 in my Daytona, they don't make both cables for the newer trans...
    83scamp, I'm suffering from the same problem. All I could find was the crossover cable for the 90+ trans. All my upper body muscles need to be summoned to shift gears with the old rusty cables I have. There must be a solution to get a new selector cable working. Are any of the Neon shift cables similar? I wouldn't mind modifying the bracket on the trans or the shifter to a accommodate a brand new cable that's a little too short or too long.

Frank, good luck with that shift cable today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast