Garrett booster

Re: Urgent Question, Shift Cables

BTW, check out what I found!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-Turbo-5-speed

In all her beauty and glory!

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Zoskalon View Post
    83scamp, I'm suffering from the same problem. All I could find was the crossover cable for the 90+ trans. All my upper body muscles need to be summoned to shift gears with the old rusty cables I have. There must be a solution to get a new selector cable working. Are any of the Neon shift cables similar? I wouldn't mind modifying the bracket on the trans or the shifter to a accommodate a brand new cable that's a little too short or too long.

Frank, good luck with that shift cable today!
    I know the neon shifters are the same, and the booger bushings for them fix our cars. I actually asked that exact same question, and never really got an answer. If I hadn't found factory cables, I was going to give the Neon ones a try and see if I could make them work. there are usually at least a couple used sets for sale on ebay, and you can always find a new set for sale. This may be what we have to do in the future if somebody doesn't step up to the plate and make correct cables for us...

Garrett booster

Update on where I'm at: Received Pioneer CA 8207 cable. Overall length matched perfectly. The retaining brackets did not. The length of the ball socket to the bracket that attaches at the transmission was the exact size. However, the length of the ball socket to the shifter INSIDE the car did not match up by about 2 inches.

This tells me that the right overall length I am looking for is 47.48". I'm wondering now if it's the interior style that's causing the problem... any ideas or suggestions from here?

Quote Originally Posted by fcasta308 View Post
    Update on where I'm at: Received Pioneer CA 8207 cable. Overall length matched perfectly. The retaining brackets did not. The length of the ball socket to the bracket that attaches at the transmission was the exact size. However, the length of the ball socket to the shifter INSIDE the car did not match up by about 2 inches.

This tells me that the right overall length I am looking for is 47.48". I'm wondering now if it's the interior style that's causing the problem... any ideas or suggestions from here?
    Probably not what you want to hear, but my suggestion would be to move the mount on the shifter, and make the cable work. Good used OE cables are near impossible to find. If manufactures aren't stepping up to the plate with the correct ones, we need to make what is available work. A cutoff wheel, and a little tack welding, and you should be all fixed up. It's what I was considering doing with the Neon cables, until I lucked into a set of factory cables...

At what point do you give up and order a custom set from Push-Pull cables?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...shifter-cables

Garrett booster

At NO point do I give up!
    But you may have a point there... as I mentioned this is my daily driver, I have very limited options to get around. Not sure if I can afford to wait 3 weeks for these guys. I'll turn my attention to local junkyards, maybe I'll get lucky and find a J/G body vehicle with manual trans.

83scamp, if I owned a welding maching (and if I knew how to use it...) I would be all over that! If anyone gets any other info please post it, it all helps. It seems that these cables have been trouble for a long while to us turbo dodge/chrysler owners...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

I just searched around and I'm amazed that no one seems to have any experience trying Neon cables on a 523/543/568. Especially since the 1st gen and 2nd gen cables are different lengths, so you've even got choices there! Unfortunately all my turbo Dodges have been 520/555 cars so I've got nothing. Hell, what about PT Cruiser/Stratus cables? Certain generations of the Eclipse got the T350 as well. Maybe there's something there too. Dammit, I'm opening my own junkyard in my next life.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    I just searched around and I'm amazed that no one seems to have any experience trying Neon cables on a 523/543/568. Especially since the 1st gen and 2nd gen cables are different lengths, so you've even got choices there! Unfortunately all my turbo Dodges have been 520/555 cars so I've got nothing. Hell, what about PT Cruiser/Stratus cables? Certain generations of the Eclipse got the T350 as well. Maybe there's something there too. Dammit, I'm opening my own junkyard in my next life.

By the research I've done, 2nd gen Neon & PT cables are the same. When I started looking for cables for my 5 speed swap, I asked that very question, and got no responses. I read a reference over on TD.com that somebody had tried it, but they never posted back with the results. If I can find a set really cheap, I would be willing to give it a shot. My biggest concern is: the neon cables are nearly the same length. The selector and crossover cables aren't much different. Our cables are almost 7" different no matter what body style you look at. All the neon cables I've found have been sold as a pair. if 1st & 2nd gen are different lengths, maybe one of each will work???

Garrett booster

Update: Found where the part number on the original shift cable was at. As the Chrysler gods would have it, the number has been severely scratched off. I need the help of a parts guy, or a vendor, to see if anything remotely matches what I can see.

The part number is: 4446(I think)3(or possibly 8)75(or possibly 6 or 8)
    So either, 4446375, 4446875, or 4446376 or 4446878 or a combination from the possibilities I listed above.

Can anyone help me with this?

Found the right part number, it is 4446876. Now can anybody help me find one??
    Last edited by fcasta308; 08-13-2015 at 11:44 AM.

turbo addict

figure out what years/models it was in..then PM all the people parting out cars on here and TD

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    figure out what years/models it was in..then PM all the people parting out cars on here and TD
    That's a good idea. But I do have to mention, I think going based on year and model for LeBarons is misleading. I'm not sure why, but if I say I have an 87 LeBaron with a 520, I will get positive hits for other part numbers for cables that won't work. Until now that I was able to confirm the number from the OEM part can I look for and pay with confidence. Let me start PM'ing though, thanks for the idea acannell!

Hopefully the aftermarket is making their cables better than they use to because I went through 2 parts store cables in 2 weeks before gave up and bought push pull cables. The cables both pushed out of the crimped end. A used stock cable worked fine until I got the push pull ones. They're a bit pricy but are a nice cable.

turbo addict

I fixed the whole pushed-out of crimped in thing and made it possible to use crap cables A-ok, even ones that are actually still broken and will pop out easily

about to go totally apesh** on my shifter cables

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    I fixed the whole pushed-out of crimped in thing and made it possible to use crap cables A-ok, even ones that are actually still broken and will pop out easily

about to go totally apesh** on my shifter cables

acannell, I'm really interested in understanding what you did here but I can't see the pics... any way you can upload them again to this thread? Assuming you've kept them handy all these years...

I'm not opposed to putting something together using mccaster parts!

Garrett booster

So we got Frank's car up and running last night! Can you believe we got a 523 crossover cable to fit and work PERFECT in his car? We swapped over the snap-on cable end under the shifter to the new cable, and on the trans end we made a custom bushing from an old heater hose. His car shifts better than most of mine now!

The ball/stud on the trans side looks like it unbolts. Would be interesting to swap the stud from a 523 to the 520 so we could use a regular poly bushing there.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Forgot about this. Jakub was even at my place over the weekend! I should have had him grab my spare ones for you to see if they were the ones for your car
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by fcasta308 View Post
    acannell, I'm really interested in understanding what you did here but I can't see the pics... any way you can upload them again to this thread? Assuming you've kept them handy all these years...

I'm not opposed to putting something together using mccaster parts!
    check out that link, it goes to TD with details and pics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12