Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car slow to build boost, won't go past 10 pounds

boostaholic

Re: Car slow to build boost, won't go past 10 pounds

Made a leak tester and bought a bike pump.....connected the tester to the turbo inlet....the system, will not hold pressure...however I disconnected the pipe right before the TB and held my hand over the open end of the upper IC pipe and it build pressure as I pumped.....the guage on the pump didn't show anything, but it released a bunch of air when I removed my hand. Replaced some couplers with semi truck rad hose and took it for a spin.....5 psi. I'm stumped.

turbo addict

Well then, the problem is after the TB.

Get an air compressor and find that leak.

turbo addict

You would need all the intake valves to be closed. Not sure if that's even possible with the cam still in it?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    You would need all the intake valves to be closed. Not sure if that's even possible with the cam still in it?
    As long as the intake OR the exhaust valves are closed for all cylinders, you'll be fine for the test.

turbo addict

Yeah i guess the exhaust valves being closed would be fine. You would be pressurizing the cylinders as well.

boostaholic

If I'm leaking that much after the throttle body, wouldn't I have a large vacuum leak and high idle?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 3Bar_Mopar View Post
    If I'm leaking that much after the throttle body, wouldn't I have a large vacuum leak and high idle?
    yes

I think..

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    yes

I think..
    Yeah...mine idles normally...runs great and drives fine...no power loss out of boost or anything...just got me stumped.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

If pressure doesn't show on the gauge of your bike pump, what makes you think you are replicating the conditions of the problem? Every pressure leak has a pressure it will start/stop leaking at. If you aren't pressurizing the system to your desired boost level, you aren't ruling out a leak at that boost level (that might not leak at the 0.7 psi you actually tested at).

I would retest the plumbing up to at least 15 psi, if not more. It'll take forever to pump it up with a bike pump, though. If you have a tire chuck on your test rig you could air it up with an electric tire compressor or from shop air.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Yeah...mine idles normally...runs great and drives fine...no power loss out of boost or anything...just got me stumped.
    How about verifying the gauge you are reading this low observed boost is accurate.
    Pump it up from where the line gets the boost signal. This way you test the tubing to the gauge.
    If the car runs and drives fine, and you don't feel any power loss, then maybe you just have a bad gauge or the gauge line is leaking.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

boostaholic

There's power loss in boost....I could spin tires at 45mph before at 20 pounds. Now it won't spin tires at all. Just out of boost it runs and drives normally.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    How about verifying the gauge you are reading this low observed boost is accurate.
    Pump it up from where the line gets the boost signal. This way you test the tubing to the gauge.
    If the car runs and drives fine, and you don't feel any power loss, then maybe you just have a bad gauge or the gauge line is leaking.
    - - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna try with shop air at some point this week

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    If pressure doesn't show on the gauge of your bike pump, what makes you think you are replicating the conditions of the problem? Every pressure leaks has a pressure it will start/stop leaking at. If you aren't pressurizing the system to your desired boost level, you aren't ruling out a leak at that boost level (that might not leak at the 0.7 psi you actually tested at).

I would retest the plumbing up to at least 15 psi, if not more. It'll take forever to pump it up with a bike pump, though. If you have a tire chuck on your test rig you could air it up with an electric tire compressor or from shop air.

boostaholic

So, I had a chance to test with shop air...it's leaking from between the intake halves....I must have blown the gasket out. Good news is that I found the leak....bad news is that the head is gonna have to come off.

turbo addict

So, I had a chance to test with shop air...it's leaking from between the intake halves....I must have blown the gasket out. Good news is that I found the leak....bad news is that the head is gonna have to come off.
    I wonder why that didnt cause an idle/drivability issue?

And how does one blow out that gasket? Even at extreme boost pressures its not really dealing with much as far as blow out forces.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    I wonder why that didnt cause an idle/drivability issue?

And how does one blow out that gasket? Even at extreme boost pressures its not really dealing with much as far as blow out forces.
    Good questions....I wouldn't think so....Maybe the part that's leaking out is being sucked back against the leak under vacuum? It builds a good 5 pounds before it leaks... It's got a box upper half, so I'm wondering how the mating surfaces are and how the bolts are holding the halves....are they loose-ish? Did they back out a little? I may try to get a wrench on the bolts and maybe I can get them a turn or two to tighten.

Well if it's anything like the t3 compressor cover you basically have a paper gasket there, and one likely thing is if you loosen the compressor cover to reclock but the gasket doesnt slide freely you could end up rolling/tearing it while rotating the housing. The o-rings used on other turbos seem MUCH more forgiving and reusable. :/

boostaholic

This is the gasket for the 2 piece intake manifold, not the turbo. It's leaking from about where 3 and 4 injector are located. I pressurized the intercooler pipes and I could feel hot air coming from under the intake top half. I tried to tighten the bolts holding the intake halves together and could only get to 3 of the bolts. I tightened them and it made a slight improvement.

Well if it's anything like the t3 compressor cover you basically have a paper gasket there, and one likely thing is if you loosen the compressor cover to reclock but the gasket doesnt slide freely you could end up rolling/tearing it while rotating the housing. The o-rings used on other turbos seem MUCH more forgiving and reusable. :/

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

This is the gasket for the 2 piece intake manifold, not the turbo.
    There is a gasket for the turbo, I use to sell them and may still have a stack.

Working on clearing the decks.

This is the gasket for the 2 piece intake manifold, not the turbo,
    Oops, read that wrong then. I have never heard of the plenum gasket leaking on a 2pc. Unless the bolts worked loose over time?

boostaholic

Oops, read that wrong then. I have never heard of the plenum gasket leaking on a 2pc. Unless the bolts worked loose over time?
    Yeah, I never have either.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

If one of the 2 pieces are warped, they can. They are aluminum, they can warp.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast