This made 9 psi

boostaholic

Re: Car slow to build boost, won't go past 10 pounds

Come on man, don't scare me like that!!

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    This made 9 psi

boostaholic

Pulled all the piping off again...checked the timing...timing is good. Put it all back together and still 10 psi...maybe even a slight bit less. Would a rocker arm falling off cause this? I'm really trying to avoid pulling the head.

turbo addict

I've seen a few engines that tossed rockers (no 2.2/2.5s though) and they would barely run. I actually have a 3.7 liberty that spit a rocker in my bay right now and it won't stay running.

turbo addict

throttle cable?

also check the TPS to make sure its going through its whole range of voltage (or very nearly so)

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 3Bar_Mopar View Post
    Pulled all the piping off again...checked the timing...timing is good. Put it all back together and still 10 psi...maybe even a slight bit less. Would a rocker arm falling off cause this? I'm really trying to avoid pulling the head.
    If a rocker arm fell off, you'd know it. The engine would be running on three cylinders. And you don't need to pull the head to verify them, only the valve cover and they're right there.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    If a rocker arm fell off, you'd know it. The engine would be running on three cylinders. And you don't need to pull the head to verify them, only the valve cover and they're right there.
    Sorry...I meant that I'm trying to avoid pulling the head to figure out if the exhaust wheel or wastegate puck is borked, lol.....yeah....the engine runs really well....it builds boost to 10 psi like normal and hauls butt to that point...just nothing beyond it.

boostaholic

Throttle cable checked out...figured maybe the wastegate can is jammed....so I played with the ignition timing some, then pluggd in the direct line from vac to wastegate to see if maybe that might unjam something....now even less boost....like 7-8 psi with the line unplugged....5 psi with a direct line.....I'm stumped....been messing with these cars since 2000 and this one has got me beat. I'm thinking the head may have to come off to examine the turbo and related hardware.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

The actuator spring doesn't feel soft?
    Meaning, when you pull the wastegate actuator rod, it should take some decent force to compress the spring.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    The actuator spring doesn't feel soft?
    Meaning, when you pull the wastegate actuator rod, it should take some decent force to compress the spring.
    I have a box intake: and a fairly large turbo....but I managed to shimmy my hand back there and was unable to move the wastegate arm with my fingers...so I assume it's plenty tight, but I can only get a couple fingertips on it.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 3Bar_Mopar View Post
    Throttle cable checked out...figured maybe the wastegate can is jammed....so I played with the ignition timing some, then pluggd in the direct line from vac to wastegate to see if maybe that might unjam something....now even less boost....like 7-8 psi with the line unplugged....5 psi with a direct line.....I'm stumped....been messing with these cars since 2000 and this one has got me beat. I'm thinking the head may have to come off to examine the turbo and related hardware.
    I would not pull the head or turbo. This is still in the diagnostic realm of absolutely provable without doing that, and until you exhaust all the inductive reasoning then you may actually make your situation worse by pulling the head and turbo and finding nothing wrong, and being unable to troubleshoot further without putting it all back together first.

Hybrid booster

Boost leak test, make sure intake and exhaust are free flowing (clogged cat?). Does it run fine out of boost?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by jefo View Post
    Boost leak test, make sure intake and exhaust are free flowing (clogged cat?). Does it run fine out of boost?
    No cat....3" turbo back and it runs great 100% other than not being able to exceed 10 PSI.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Can you pull the intake piping off the turbo and look in to see if the intake wheel is fubar or the shaft has play?
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

I told you its a boost leak. The daytona would boost to cutout, then started building boost slowly and only going to 10 psi. When I replaced the IC and piping it started boosting to cutout again. Ill more than likely be working on that POS Sunday if you can get with me I have air now.
    Last edited by moparman76_69; 08-08-2015 at 07:21 AM.

turbo addict

Doing a boost leak check is a must, it's the very first thing I would do. Your just wasting your time until you do that. When I swapped my FMIC setup from my NY to my CSX it did EXACTLY what you describing. Everything looked good, heck I had just put all together! Did a boost leak check and while everything looked great it had MASSIVE leak where one couplers met the plumbing.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Doing a boost leak check is a must, it's the very first thing I would do. Your just wasting your time until you do that. When I swapped my FMIC setup from my NY to my CSX it did EXACTLY what you describing. Everything looked good, heck I had just put all together! Did a boost leak check and while everything looked great it had MASSIVE leak where one couplers met the plumbing.
    can you describe more that leak? how exactly did a coupler leak massive with plumbing in a way that was not obvious (i.e. like a popped out tube?)

turbo addict

Because baffles in mufflers can break free, I would disconnect the exhaust for a short drive, just to rule it out.

Have you removed the air filter and tried again? I had an air filter installed too far and the inlet pipe was almost butted up against the inside end of the filter.

And I have to jump on the boost leak bandwagon too.... I made mine with some exhaust pipe the same size as the pipe where my air filter slides on to capped off with a plate welded to one end, a coupler and an air line fitting with a regulator. It took about an hour with a welder handy.

turbo addict

It was on a SRT IC, and the clamp was half off the "hump" and half on. It was on the bottom side, if it was the top I probably would have seen it. But from what I could see it looked like it was on good. Did a boost leak test and it was leaking bad. It doesn't take much of a leak to affect boost.

Another one I ran into years ago was with a buddies SRT4. Car built full boost but felt sluggish. So we did a leak test and every connection had a slight leak, and the car only had 30k on it! We swapped it over to Tbolts and it made a pretty significant increase in power, at the same boost level.

Boost leak checks have kinda became a go to for me when trouble shooting. I really think a guy should do them ever 5k or so.

turbo addict

Boost leak is an easy enough test...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast