Thread: Pushing Oil Bad

boostaholic

Exclamation Pushing Oil Bad

I have been chasing this issue on my car for a few years now and I have yet to fix it. The current set up has a 5/8 fitting welded into each of the valve covers. I have baffled both valve covers. I blocked off the factory block vent and replaced it with a 5/8" fitting where the distributor is located on a 8V. That hose goes into the stock breather/ separator and then onto a 5/8" tee, where the PCV valve is located on one side and the other side goes to my custom catch can. All three hoses terminate in the catch can. The catch can is internally baffled with a large filter on top. I thought this was overkill and that should be the case.

In the past, I thought the excess pressure in my crankcase was from blow-by. I built a completely new bottom end that should have fixed this possibility.

A few years back I had the head gone through and rebuilt, all the valve seals were replaced at this time. I am just stumped at why I have so much pressure in my top end.

To this day when the car is warm, on restart it always has a puff of blue smoke come out the exhaust, I know this is oil.

I was at an event called Powercruise this past weekend and I really tested the car hard. I would go for a couple of laps around the track and when I got back my catch can would be full, on a couple of longer runs, the catch can go so full that is overflowed and sprayed the whole catch can area of the engine. I would literally go through at least one quart of oil on each run. The car is running anywhere from 20-35 pounds of boost and my rev limit is 7k. This event is close to what would be found on a road coarse race.

Any one have any experience getting a handle on this. I love cornering in this car and I would love to get a handle on this and fix this problem for good.
    I'm thinking there is something going on in my head, be it bad valve seals or a possible crack in this head all together. I have a couple of tests I am going to try.

I will add pictures of my current set up soon.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Pushing Oil Bad

Are you sure the oil restrictor was installed in the block deck?