Thread: Years of the PT cruisers

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Years of the PT cruisers

Hello all, I attempted to find out what exact years the PT Cruisers had the SRT-4 turbo engine. Does anybody have an answer for this question, as I cannot find it on the internet. Thanks in advance.

turbo addict

Re: Years of the PT cruisers

There was only 3 years of turbo neon, 2003-2005.

Turbo PT started on 2003 until production stopped at 2010.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

And it's not exactly a SRT engine, the intake is different and I'm sure there are some other differences too.

Is there something specific you're looking for, or just curious?

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hi Mike, yeah I was just curious only. You know when you try and self educate on the internet and you hit a road block, that's what happened with me and this question. That curiosity has been bugging me for awhile, so I give a big thank you. I just don't see many of them labeled Turbo, but I know they are out there. Thanks again friend!

Happy to help, best of luck with your continued education! 👍

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    And it's not exactly a SRT engine, the intake is different and I'm sure there are some other differences too.

Is there something specific you're looking for, or just curious?

Mike

The he intake manifold and accessory drive are the only difference between the Pt and SRT-4 turbo engines.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Good to know!

I didn't expect there to be major internal differences, maybe cam changes, programing, etc... Funny that they didn't seem to be able to make the SRT intake work on the PT... or maybe it made more financial sense to use the other intake on the higher volume PT...?

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

The engine bay on a PT Cruiser is tight... ridiculously tight. In that configuration, there's more room above the engine than in front of it, so they used an intake with the runners curving up and over the valve cover similar to a 2.4L Caravan. The Neon has the opposite problem: with the added height of the 2.4, there is absolutely zero room above the engine, but there's a limited amount of real estate in front of it. So the SRT-4's got an intake manifold that curves down from the engine, similar to the SOHC Neons. Neon versus PT, the intake manifold from one wouldn't have a prayer working in the other.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

So....how strong are the manuals in the PT GTs compared to SRT4 ones...and how strong are the automatics? I thought a nice bright blue PT GT would be a nice and comfortable replacement for my 1995 SOHC Neon stick.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

I've got one just as you describe Angelo, and you're right, they do make for a nice, comfortable DD that can get out of its own way... the autos aren't so great on mileage (big surprise there, right?).

The autos seem plenty strong in their natural habitat, but big power would require some beefing up, to what extent depends on what you'd want to do, MP ECU? should be fine, upgrading the turbo, etc... maybe not so much, but honestly, I've kept things pretty stock so I haven't found the "breaking point".

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    So....how strong are the manuals in the PT GTs compared to SRT4 ones...and how strong are the automatics? I thought a nice bright blue PT GT would be a nice and comfortable replacement for my 1995 SOHC Neon stick.
    I cant really provide much detail as to strength between the autos and the 5'ers, but I have owned both auto and stick versions of the GT. Manual GT's are like the 16V 2.2L Mazi TC's, very rare to find.

The auto was the wife's, a Inferno Red 04 GT AutoStick. I don't recall having any major issues with the 04, but it had low mileage and was rarely driven (67K when it was smashed in the rear by an uninsured driver back in Feb. of 2015, insurance totaled it due to the work required to fix it). Only problem I had from it was the front wheel bearings.
    The other is the last of the 5 speed GT's, a black 2007 with 25K on the clock. Had to hunt a while for that one when I was looking for a DD / work car back in 09 as I wanted a manual boosted GT to haul around UPS batteries for the gear I worked on at the time. I still drive it today as the DD with 111K on it. I do NOT drive it easy either. I down shift, engine break, and heal / toe all the time in it. I've had to replace the turbo around 45K due to the PO using non-synth oil and coking the turbo, but its been fine since the new turbo cart was purchased from Chris @ TU along with new oil lines and Mobile 1. Its been a very solid car for me so far.

However, at 111K on the original T belt and pump, well I'm pushing it and asking for trouble if I don't suck it up and do the nasty. This fall / winter she's going down for a new water pump, T belt, motor mounts, (ALL of them..thats gonna suck) , front wheel bearings, and control arm bushings.

Over all these GT's have been the best TM's I've owned. As for the wife, she chose a Lexus RX350 to replace the GT she lost...but she'd gladly give it up if she could have her original GT back with no damage on it...she loved that car more than any other car she's had, even her old 70 Buick GS.

I have a 05 GT with a stick. Thing is pretty fun to drive.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

I drove an 05 GT Dream Cruiser III with a stick. It was awesome to drive. I guess it's because I didn't expect it to be as quick as it was, but it was super comfortable. The Dream Cruisers are actually really nice inside.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

2003-2009 for the DOHC 2.4 16 valve turbo in both the Neon and the PT cruiser