Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Re: Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I can install non marketplace apps on my nexus 5 just fine.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy media device that the first thing I did was "root it" to take full control over and sideload applications.

Working on clearing the decks.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crusty shadow View Post
    i tried windows 10 about 6 months ago when they were letting people do beta previews. it was just like windows 8. i went from just being able to turn my computer on, log on and start using it to having to log on with my orginal password, then having to enter in another password to a new email account that i had to create otherwise win 10, being compelled to sign up for cloud services i had no interest in, asking for every one of my social media accounts so they could all be linked to the microsoft account i had to make.

yeah after a couple hours i said NOPE and went back to win7

about 3 months ago i ws doing my usual 6 month HDD wipe and reinstall of windows and kept getting erros when trying to reinstall. got tired of messing with that for 3 days so i said hell with it and wiped the hrd drive agin and installed Linux Ubuntu.
    MAJOR improvement. way more stable, much faster at bootup, loading programs etc- all the windows lag is gone- this laptop runs faster and more reliable than when i bought it new 5 years ago.

no way in hell am i ever running windows ever again.
    I did the Technical Preview for Windows 10 as soon as it came out. I've used Windows 8 with Classic Shell over it and it was bearable at least. (I still have a big problem with the fact that free third-party software is needed to make major paid-for software usable) The Windows 10 tech preview, other than the resizable Start menu, looked exactly like Windows 8 + Classic Shell. It was pretty obvious that Microsoft had spent all their time talking about how great 10 was rather than actually developing it.

Meanwhile, LMDE 2 is kicking a$s on one of my laptops. I've got Windows 7 Pro x64 on the other one, and as much as I hate to say it, it has been extremely reliable and fast even on 6-7 year old hardware. At this point, for me, Windows 7 is probably going to end up like Windows 2000: there is going to have to be a massive lack of support for me to consider getting rid of it.

However, I have Windows 8 to thank for getting me into Linux. I've distro-hopped quite a bit in the past few years, and as far as a viable Windows "substitute" for the masses, it really doesn't get much simpler than Linux Mint with Cinnamon. You could drop that in front of anybody that's used to XP and it would take about 5 seconds to get familiar with it. Not the fastest desktop environment, but it's intuitive and polished. Mint, from what I can tell, has a massive worldwide community support base too.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

ok im running it on al 4 pc now love it and the multi media centre is running way fast and less glitch y im just going to re connect my two 4 tera drives back on my network an test them

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Wife has 8 and it sucks worse than anything has ever sucked before.
    "this sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before"

-Butthead

lol

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Grrr... ranting... stupid computers... freaking... dammit...

Got Windows 10 "up and running" on two machines right now. I say that in quotes because neither of them are all that great. My laptop, I had to fight with video drivers just to get it to work. Now, if I open the Start menu and hover over any of it, all text disappears until I restart (not hibernate, not sleep, not refresh... need to completely shut down and reboot for it to come back). On both machines, scrolling doesn't work in the app store or in Edge. It works fine in Firefox, IE, file explorer, image viewer, etc.

One was a fresh install that I have no speed comparison for. The other was upgraded from Windows 7. I will say 10 starts and resumes super fast. However, during use, it's laggy compared to a fresh install of 7 on the same box.

Last but not least is a stylistic thing that I realize not every one cares about: the whole thing looks awful! There's a thread on the Microsoft support site that is now nearly 1200 replies long begging for Aero to return. I totally agree on that one. The flat window borders and toolbars look like a high-school-level Intro To Programming exercise. It's like if I gutted the interior in my Neon, took heat and A/C out of it, and put skinny drag wheels on the back, all while doing little to nothing to the engine. Will it be marginally faster? Technically, it should be. Is it idiotic and senseless for a daily driver? Yup. I'm gonna say that Windows is a daily driver for nearly all users.

If every other Windows release sucks, did they doom themselves by skipping 9? Could we have back-to-back suck now?
    Last edited by jonnymopar; 08-16-2015 at 08:37 AM.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

My gal had it installed for a few days, took it off and went back to 7.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

boostaholic

Just installed windows 10, now MPtune (2.0.4.9) won't load. It just hangs at the startup screen.

Is there a more updated version, or is something in my system borked?

edit: Looks like I have to run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

but the compiler doesnt even try to work.
    Last edited by iangoround; 08-22-2015 at 10:18 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

this is weird - my home pc with win 10 that i have been running for a couple weeks now started experiencing the same issue today. i had to go into both .exe programs and set the compatibility mode to win 8. my other test computer with win 10 is working just fine! i'll check into this some more.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

turbo addict

ahhh i had to go though getting rid of Yahoo again god i hate there pop up's sneeaky

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

It's still running fine on my Asus 2-in-1. But, there' a Win10 'cumulative update' downloading. I'll let you know if it stops working after that.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

i spent a considerable amount of time yesterday trying to hunt down the issue. i think i have it narrowed down to the way win 10 handles xml files. i had to rewrite a bunch of code in mptune to get it to work properly, i.e. not use any xml serialization. i still have to figure out a way in mpscan to get it to work. looks like there is going to be some serious "googling" this week. if setting compatibility mode works for users at this point then great, otherwise i'll hopefully have a workaround in the next week or so.

turbo addict

When I first put it onto my work laptop it broke the touchpad drivers. Had to delete them and let windows re download the correct ones.
    Last edited by thedon809; 08-24-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Hmm, MP Tune didn't give me any issues even with the latest updates this morning. I'll try MP Scan.

EDIT: Yeah, don't seem to have any issues with MP Scan either.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

I had uninstalled MPTune on this machine and reinstalled it, thinking something got messed up in the update. MPTune runs in win7 mode, but I don't think the updater works. When it runs it downloads everything, but when it goes to update the MPTune.exe it thinks that it is still running (it's no, checked task manager), and eventually times out and aborts.

it appears the issue is tied to the net framework version. if i set the framework to ver 4.0 or higher it runs perfectly, and all serializations, special collections work. if i drop back to ver 3.5 (which is what i had been using to maintain compatibility with win XP/vista) it bombs. i'll keep digging. don't know why it works on some v10 computers and not on others.........

boostaholic

Now for some reason it opens, but immediately crashes. The updater doesn't want to run either.

did you set the compatibility mode to win 8? also, in the c:\users\"username"\appdata\roaming\mptune directory there "may" be a error file called mpterrors.txt or mptapperr.txt. if there is would you post that up?

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    did you set the compatibility mode to win 8? also, in the c:\users\"username"\appdata\roaming\mptune directory there "may" be a error file called mpterrors.txt or mptapperr.txt. if there is would you post that up?
    Not specifically. I couldn't even find in win 10 how to do that.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Not specifically. I couldn't even find in win 10 how to do that.
    Right click on the shortcut icon or program executable and go to PROPERTIES. There should be a tab in that window labelled COMPATABILITY

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    So I uninstalled it and installed it again, set it to run in windows 7 compatibility mode and it worked. I also set the updater executable to run in windows 7 mode, but that didn't seem to solve the issue. I wound up grabbing the files it downloaded before I closed the updater window and manually renaming them after the updater closed.

The error log exists, but it is empty.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast