Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Windows 10

So far, MP Tune seems to work just fine in Win 10 (installed it this morning). Haven't tried any cables yet. Will do that later.

MP Scan loaded up and played back some old logs just fine, too. I'll have to try logging later, too.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Windows 10

There is a windows 10 post in every single forum I've been on, my email, articles on the net, it's everywhere. Glad to hear that it is playing nice with the new OS. I'm pretty sure Microsoft is sending someone door to door in my neighborhood next week to make sure we all have it and it's running well.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Yeah, it feels like it's being REQUIRED... I bought a new Dell windows 7pro machine because I didn't want the new interface, but it seems like they're doing all they can to "make" me "upgrade" to Win10... I'm also a bit dubious of it's biometric log-in and such. Big Brother on steroids if you ask me, but I'm sure they'll not all the use my "face print" against me... right?

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

windows 10 is the next step towards a subscription based OS service.

they will force feed it to the masses.

of course the hackcommunity will have ways around the forcefullness.

that said, i may try it on a machine or two. since i set everything up to notify me of updates rather than auto install, i can research what updates with screw me or not.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

We bought my son a laptop last Christmas with windows 8 on it. Absolutely HATE it!!! I won't ever use 8... My laptop was in the middle of updating from 7 to 10 this morning when I left for work. I guess I'll find out if I like it when I get home tonight...

I'm hoping Microsoft learned a HUGE lesson with 8 on what not to do with a system. If it seems to work better than 8, I'll hopefully be able to update my sons laptop so he will actually want to use it.... Right now, he grabs mine, or my wife's to do homework because 8 is so clunky to use...

turbo addict

my laptop start the update last night was still going this morning

turbo addict

My gal has a pc, she hated 8.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

Still using XP on my 2006 era thinkpad. Would actually be using 2000 but XP came with the laptop when I got it used in 2010. No significant OS technologies, either user interface or internal, have come out since windows went full-preemptive with 2k. Everything since then has been marketing fluff or irrelevant to consumers. I can do everything everyone else does on the internet just fine on XP and also run a huge array of engineering software no problem. I havent done a security/windows update for a couple years. If you want your computer to stay clean, dont install junk, and use a limited account for everything but installing programs or running programs that absolutely require it. Things like browsers and what not do not require admin so for most consumer-type users will never notice the difference. But trojans and viruses will have no way to access root and will not be able to get a foothold and cause problems. If they try to install you can laugh at them as you hop over to the admin account and destroy them with no mercy at the flick of a button. I have to do this maybe once every 2 years when something trys to sneak in. I have a little directory with the killed trojan files I keep as trophies. Its fun to replace their libraries with empty text files and then see how they react, kind of like pulling a random chunk out of someones brain and seeing what happens. Ha-ha!

Windows Vista/7 were a total joke, case in point: they had to get the nerds to adopt them by making it so Halo 2 (a huge deal at the time) would not run on XP, with absolutely no technical justification whatsover. What does that say about how important that OS upgrade was? The next huge joke was 8. Joining the bandwagon of the non-computer-user-computer-users obsession with smartphone interfaces, which are horrible and silly on a desktop PC. MS has a history of making the worst OS decisions imaginable and its apparently still doing so. I cant imagine a good reason to upgrade an OS from XP, but maybe someday they will come up with one. They certainly haven't so far. Just more bloat and buzz-words.

turbo addict

just ready to install

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    windows 10 is the next step towards a subscription based OS service.

they will force feed it to the masses.

of course the hackcommunity will have ways around the forcefullness.

that said, i may try it on a machine or two. since i set everything up to notify me of updates rather than auto install, i can research what updates with screw me or not.

Brian
    That's what I'm going to do. Install it on my windows 8 work computer to see if its decent or not. My built my PC myself a few years ago and the damn thing cost $1700 so I'm taking any chances.

Just got up and running on 10. So far so good. No objections. Have to figure out what all these new icons mean, but I figured that would happen.

turbo addict

Same here up and running speed is fast to load large programs and all program still working now to link it to my xbox 360

turbo addict

Has anyone yet tried GODMODE yet ?

- - - Updated - - -

If you enable GodMode on Windows 10, you will get a lengthy list of commands to use. GodMode brings all the OS-control settings together in one folder. Think of it as your administrative one--stop shop, rather than having to poke all around Windows in order to find Control panel settings and configurations.

- - - Updated - - -

If you enable GodMode on Windows 10, you will get a lengthy list of commands to use. GodMode brings all the OS-control settings together in one folder. Think of it as your administrative one--stop shop, rather than having to poke all around Windows in order to find Control panel settings and configurations.

- - - Updated - - -

Hybrid booster

i tried windows 10 about 6 months ago when they were letting people do beta previews. it was just like windows 8. i went from just being able to turn my computer on, log on and start using it to having to log on with my orginal password, then having to enter in another password to a new email account that i had to create otherwise win 10, being compelled to sign up for cloud services i had no interest in, asking for every one of my social media accounts so they could all be linked to the microsoft account i had to make.

yeah after a couple hours i said NOPE and went back to win7

about 3 months ago i ws doing my usual 6 month HDD wipe and reinstall of windows and kept getting erros when trying to reinstall. got tired of messing with that for 3 days so i said hell with it and wiped the hrd drive agin and installed Linux Ubuntu.
    MAJOR improvement. way more stable, much faster at bootup, loading programs etc- all the windows lag is gone- this laptop runs faster and more reliable than when i bought it new 5 years ago.

no way in hell am i ever running windows ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by crusty shadow View Post
    i tried windows 10 about 6 months ago when they were letting people do beta previews. it was just like windows 8. i went from just being able to turn my computer on, log on and start using it to having to log on with my orginal password, then having to enter in another password to a new email account that i had to create otherwise win 10, being compelled to sign up for cloud services i had no interest in, asking for every one of my social media accounts so they could all be linked to the microsoft account i had to make.

yeah after a couple hours i said NOPE and went back to win7

about 3 months ago i ws doing my usual 6 month HDD wipe and reinstall of windows and kept getting erros when trying to reinstall. got tired of messing with that for 3 days so i said hell with it and wiped the hrd drive agin and installed Linux Ubuntu.
    MAJOR improvement. way more stable, much faster at bootup, loading programs etc- all the windows lag is gone- this laptop runs faster and more reliable than when i bought it new 5 years ago.

no way in hell am i ever running windows ever again.
    They must have listened to the complaints, because I didn't have to do any of that... In fact, it's so nice, I went ahead and upgraded my wife & Son's laptops yeaterday as well. My son had 8 on his, and it was the worst operating system EVER!!!! Now his laptop works like it should have from the beginning...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Still using XP on my 2006 era thinkpad. Would actually be using 2000 but XP came with the laptop when I got it used in 2010. No significant OS technologies, either user interface or internal, have come out since windows went full-preemptive with 2k. Everything since then has been marketing fluff or irrelevant to consumers.
    I'm still on XP as well, been bulletproof.

What is remarkable is that I have not had to do a reinstall once since the machine was taken out of the box. 7? Years ago.

It just needs to browse, some video editing, Photoshop and do e-mail.

Wife has 8 and it sucks worse than anything has ever sucked before. I have stripped out a bunch of stuff but it still sucks and she hates it.

Working on clearing the decks.

turbo addict

First thing I did to my windows 8 work computer is install classic shell to get the start button back.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    I'm still on XP as well, been bulletproof.

What is remarkable is that I have not had to do a reinstall once since the machine was taken out of the box. 7? Years ago.

It just needs to browse, some video editing, Photoshop and do e-mail.

Wife has 8 and it sucks worse than anything has ever sucked before. I have stripped out a bunch of stuff but it still sucks and she hates it.
    I haven't done an OS re-install either in more than 10 years...the thinkpads I've gotten in that time have all had 2k or XP, and I've just used the limited user account. Nothing can get past that so malware/spyware whatever has nowhere to live.

I've noticed a trend over the past few years where things seem to be going backwards as far as the quality of the internet and computers/phones in general. Its like the old expectations about functionality,freedom, and privacy were forgotten, and now its totally okay for a $700 handheld computer to be little more than a (poor) entertainment consumption device which reports your every move both physical and online, and pumps ads at you _inside the OS_. Crap like that was rejected in a matter of months back in the 90's when companies tried to give away computers or internet that had ad's shown on the desktop. I literally can't believe how bad my new Samsung S5 was when I got it. They had purposely made it less functional than a several years older Moto X and added more things to "control your experience" and annoy.

If these operating systems and infrastructure were actually as great as these huge companies claim they were, then how come they dont run on every device? You wouldnt have a separate OS for your phone and your desktop. Its because they have intentionally created a false rift between the two so they can exploit that difference for their own agenda, and essentially create a new world where the battle lines between companies can be redrawn. If MS knew what they were doing they would have made a bitchen OS for phones and locked out everyone else, but MS has always been horrible at that sort of thing..i.e. Windows 8, 9, 10, Vista, ME, Bob, etc.... So Apple copied star-trek handheld data pads (somehow forgetting copy and paste..brilliant) and then google figured they'd break into that by first acting like they are the anti-apple with "DROID" and the big red-eye, but then as soon as they got their foot in the door, being indistinguishable from Apple.

Imagine how ridiculous it would be if someone tried to make it so you could only download applications for your computer from one "marketplace", and had to have an account with that marketplace in order to do so, and all apps had to be approved or not by that marketplace. But thats exactly how smartphones operate. They convinced the masses that all the worst ideas that would never make it on computers, are totally okay on phones. But thats silly. Its a completely false, synthesized concept. And they convinced the masses to fear certain things that have been proven totally safe on computers for decades. You do not need all this protection from google/apple to use your phone. There is nothing more risky about a phone than a desktop. If you want risky lets talk about social networks with gigabytes of family pictures and all kinds of private information about your life that will never truly leave the internet.

I notice strange trends like amazing features being phased out and new irritations being phased in. The Moto X which is several years old, had a very powerful voice-activated wakeup feature, even from lock, that could make it possible to wake the phone up and tell it to do things completely hands-free while its laying on a car seat. The Samsung S5 I got last year has all the hardware required for this including the special voice recognition chips, but they made it so you could no longer use it hands-free, and could not unlock the phone with it. HUH?? So basically made that useless. But they did add a feature that warns me about turning up the volume or I might hurt my ears, and also made it so I cant have a youtube video play music with the screen off. What does that tell you? They want every part of your "experience" controlled and pumped full of useless advertising that nobody ever clicks on. Thats the new world of computers/phones..

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Upgrade her to Win 10. Trust me, she will be much happier. It still has some fluff, but at least it's usable, unlike 8... They got rid of Internet Explorer as the browser, and went to Microsoft "edge", but it seems to load pages faster than IE 11. Takes a little bit to get used to the new icons, but I'm getting there.

If she hasn't gotten the icon in the lower right corner to do it yet, visit Microsoft's web site, it tells you how you can force the upgrade. It's actually pretty simple, but you may want to start it before you go to bed and let it run all night. It takes it a while...

turbo addict

I can install non marketplace apps on my nexus 5 just fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast