Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Minivan Record

Garrett booster

Re: New Minivan Record

Yes thank you for chiming in Terry, lots of guessing, but data was hard to find as to what your van was running. I wonder if JT could put a *** next to our nitrous passes and list our best motor pass. Just so it can be found easily.

I've been working with JT on a new engine setup, going with something a little more wild than before, and playing with the calculators we figure I need about an extra 75 horsepower to get that magical 10.999999999

I have a few tricks in the bag that I'm hoping will help (nothing to fancy, just some upgrades), but the aerodynamics of a brick is whats really holding all of us minivan guys back. I've made multiple passes at 115mph and it's like we are hitting a wall. I've broke 115 once or twice but only by one mph.

BTW Terry, what's going on with your old van. Last I heard it was sold, but just sitting in a garage somewhere. When is that beast going to be let loose again!!!

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Van_Duno View Post
    Yes thank you for chiming in Terry, lots of guessing, but data was hard to find as to what your van was running. I wonder if JT could put a *** next to our nitrous passes and list our best motor pass. Just so it can be found easily.

I've been working with JT on a new engine setup, going with something a little more wild than before, and playing with the calculators we figure I need about an extra 75 horsepower to get that magical 10.999999999

I have a few tricks in the bag that I'm hoping will help (nothing to fancy, just some upgrades), but the aerodynamics of a brick is whats really holding all of us minivan guys back. I've made multiple passes at 115mph and it's like we are hitting a wall. I've broke 115 once or twice but only by one mph.

BTW Terry, what's going on with your old van. Last I heard it was sold, but just sitting in a garage somewhere. When is that beast going to be let loose again!!!

Ive been thinking about the aero thing alot lately.I think a duckbill type spoiler on the back or something like the 18wheelers use would get a few more mph.it would look silly but i bet it would work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    Ive been thinking about the aero thing alot lately.I think a duckbill type spoiler on the back or something like the 18wheelers use would get a few more mph.it would look silly but i bet it would work.

boostaholic

Cut the roof panel off from the sides of the van starting just behind the windshield. Tilt it downwards @ 10 degrees. Then reweld it back in with two pizza slice shaped steel strips to fill the gaps. Now remove the rear hatch glass.. Presto MPH. :P

But seriously smoothing out the underside might help.. ecomodders has a lot of interesting documented projects like this with the aero.
    MinivanRider

Garrett booster

All though those are great ideas I think I'm going to stick with the horsepower and weight theory.... More horsepower and less weight make aerodynamics my ----- Seriously though, depending on how the 2016 season treats me, maybe I'll be looking into smoothing out the underside, or other creative ways to pick up a few mph next winter, but for now I'm working on engine upgrades to make more HP.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

What do you figure you are making now?
    Any idea on your coefficient of drag? At least you are lowered some. That had to trim down some frontal area.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Using the horsepower calculators it puts the van around 430ish to the wheels. But I also don't know my race weight so that throws off all the calculations.

as for drag I have no idea. I found it once before for a stock caravan but can't remember what it said.

turbo addict

3500 would be a pretty good number for weight. I took a load of scrap in my van (SWB rear seat out, but full base interior) and I remember it being 3300 when I went across the scales empty. I've been told that is impossible by others but I made it a point to look out of curiosity.

Mine was 3120 at sdac25, me in it and only the front bogarts, & 3/8 tank.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Any idea on your coefficient of drag? At least you are lowered some. That had to trim down some frontal area.
    Found some reference: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ca...automatic.html

Says 0.43 for coefficient of drag on a stock van.
    Wayne H.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Van_Duno View Post
    All though those are great ideas I think I'm going to stick with the horsepower and weight theory.... More horsepower and less weight make aerodynamics my ----- Seriously though, depending on how the 2016 season treats me, maybe I'll be looking into smoothing out the underside, or other creative ways to pick up a few mph next winter, but for now I'm working on engine upgrades to make more HP.
    So worlds first chopped top Caravan then? think of your C of D if you smoothed the bottom and cut 5" from the top

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

My TBI/5spd van was 3020 with no carpet or rear benches. Add turbo, add auto trans weight, add horribly heavy carpet+padding and you're probably around 3200 empty + driver. Assuming you havent actually removed any metal.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

Well my van has all the carpet, and padding removed. Interior panels (not much weight, but they were all smashed up from previous owner hauling stuff) I've even pulled passenger seat and HVAC box. I haven't cut any metal, but sounds like my estimate of 3400 might have been a little heavy, maybe closer to 3200-3300 (I'm a fat ---, thinking my wife might need to start driving the car, that would be a quick 130 lbs loss)

I'd still bet you and your van weigh in at about the same as Mini and I.
    Although i go about 175 right now, Mini has all the a/c reinstalled, and of course the heaterbox. And that was with the front passenger seat also. Have you removed yours to race? And you have a small fuel cell?
    I'd bet you're sub 3200. My guess is 3150. now, what do i win??
    Wayne H.

boostaholic

My guess is less than that, 89 Cargo turbo auto van was 2960 with me in it with 1/3 tank of fuel on Bandimere's scales, centerlines all the way around and no passengers seat. Has gone 13.17best at 5800ft wit pretty much just a turbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk1MwfQIumE

Garrett booster

Wow those cargo's are light!!! Makes me really want to figure out how to get rid of all my glass.

And Wayne what did You and Mini weigh? You were right on with the setup except no fuel cell, that was supposed to be an upgrade this winter but it's getting put off.

We were 3120 at SDAC25. But, improvements i could do from that number is: rear bogarts with front runners, remove front pass seat, less fuel, and any other ideas i can think of.
    Wayne H.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123