Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilt TIII Won't Fire

Garrett booster

Rebuilt TIII Won't Fire

So after my oil pumped locked up and I have had everything hot tanked, polished, etc. she has been put back together and rewarded my brother and I with not starting. Has fuel, spark, and everything appears to be hooked up properly. It will turn over and catch for a split second and then shut down. I did upgrade the clutch with the stage 3 from Spec, I am just curious as to if that is the problem. I checked the new PP against my stocker and noticed no differences. I also in that quite a few other TIIIs are running Specs as well. Any help would be awesome.

Hybrid booster

Re: Rebuilt TIII Won't Fire

Double check your timing alignment. I had a problem with mint not wanting to start after replacing intermeidate shaft bushing and seal. Went back and completely re-did the timing belt alignment just to make sure I did it right(took belt off and re-installed) and second time around it fired right up.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    Double check your timing alignment. I had a problem with mint not wanting to start after replacing intermeidate shaft bushing and seal. Went back and completely re-did the timing belt alignment just to make sure I did it right(took belt off and re-installed) and second time around it fired right up.
    Thanks, have done so multiple times, it is correct. Vacuum looks good when it catches for a second.

Garrett booster

Have also tried different computers and coil packs just to troubleshoot. Also have no codes showing.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

You didn't change the flywheel did you?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Sounds like the PP blocking the crank signal marks on the Flywheel.

Garrett booster

Didn't change the flywheel, did remove the crank sensor and what do I see? Some of the windows are blocked by the PP. So now I have a few questions, who has run a Spec clutch, specifically the stage 3 (SD 773)? Also, can you clock the PP?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    Sounds like the PP blocking the crank signal marks on the Flywheel.
    This^
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

I just took a SPEC stg3 out of my wife's RT. Will take a look at it tonight.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkrab View Post
    I just took a SPEC stg3 out of my wife's RT. Will take a look at it tonight.
    That would be great, pic would also help. How did it perform in he car?

Hybrid booster

Will snap a picture or two, I came into the picture at the tail end of the clutches' use able life. It was still grabby, but lacked the clamping power to hold more than stock power.
    The previous owner ran it over 20 psi and had no issues.

Hybrid booster

Here's what I've got, the PP, goes to the depth of the timing marks on this one.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkrab View Post

Here's what I've got, the PP, goes to the depth of the timing marks on this one.
    You are the man, that really helps. Does the PP fit on the flywheel in different orientations? I am wondering if you can get it to fit in a manner which partially blocks a window like what I have. I have clearance like yours, it is just that one of the sections of the PP where it sets flush with the flywheel encroaches into the crank senso rvalley.

Hybrid booster

Talking to Chris at TU when I ordered my clutch, he says here shortly all of his clutches will need to be machines to work with the TIII crank sensors. He had to switch suppliers cornhusker pressure plates and new ones cover up the timing windows. Forget what supplier he said he had to switch ch to.

Hybrid booster

Yeah, taking a much closer look, the slight protrusion into the timing mark valley is present to some degree in any of the 3 orientations I placed it in. . I can imagine how frustrating this can be for you.

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    Talking to Chris at TU when I ordered my clutch, he says here shortly all of his clutches will need to be machines to work with the TIII crank sensors. He had to switch suppliers cornhusker pressure plates and new ones cover up the timing windows. Forget what supplier he said he had to switch ch to.
    We are not switching clutch builders so no worries folks. Marc, our clutch guy, will continue to build our line of performance clutches.

Just to clarify, Sachs pressure plates come pre-clearanced for magnetic pickups. These plates are used on our Stage I Hybrid, Stage II (blue) and Stage III (yellow/gold) clutch packages. Unfortunately they are drying up in the industry. Once we have depleted our inventory there will be an additional machining charge for TIII applications. Our most popular Stage IV (Purple/Black) clutch has always required magnetic pickup clearance for TIII applications so no changes there.

We are not sure which Pressure Plates Spec uses for their clutch kits. If it is Sachs they may have run out of those plates and were not aware that the new brand of plates requires pre-machining.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Hybrid booster

This is great information Chris. Thanks for the input.

We don't advertise it much but we also rebuild clutches. So if you have a worn Sachs plate from your TIII do not discard it.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Garrett booster

I just wanted to say thanks to all, I believe the issue has been discovered. When I get it out I will get some pics of it vs the stocker. I will also communicate this to the folks at Spec. Chris, as always, you are a beacon of light for folks in need of information. I would have preferred to use your stuff but ended up getting the Spec for a steal. Thanks for all you and Turbosunleashed have done for our community and me in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by mratliff86 View Post
    I just wanted to say thanks to all, I believe the issue has been discovered. When I get it out I will get some pics of it vs the stocker. I will also communicate this to the folks at Spec. Chris, as always, you are a beacon of light for folks in need of information. I would have preferred to use your stuff but ended up getting the Spec for a steal. Thanks for all you and Turbosunleashed have done for our community and me in particular.
    No problem. Glad we could help. We understand about good deals coming along so no explanation necessary.

If Spec cannot or will not address the issue let me know. Marc can clearance the pressure plate cover then precision balance the complete assembly for you.

Chris-TU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast