Thread: Warning on Garrett GT DBB series turbos

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor DBB mini's Avatar

Warning on Garrett GT DBB series turbos

Ok so I started this thread some time ago & it magically disappeared. Nice. Basically, the Garrett GT DBB series of turbos offered on ebay, ATP turbo, Himni racing, etc. are not offered with a Chrysler flange scroll. The only way I know to get one with a Chrysler flange scroll is to order one from Chris @ TU. Chris only sells the turbos complete with the Chrysler swingvalve, he does not sell the scroll seperately. This means that the GT series offered by other vendors won't bolt up to a stock manifold. I cannot say whether the turbos offered by TU will bolt directly up to a stock manifold, you'd have to ask Chris. Maybe someone who has purchased one from him could chime in & verify it?

The Garrett GT DBB series turbos do not have a rebuild kit available to the general public. I've sent several emails & all have the same reply; not offered. Mine is currently under warranty & I haven't had a problem out of it. I just wanted to do some research & I want to let all know what I've found. This is not an absolute fact, only the information I have gathered at the moment. Turbine wheels, shafts, seals, etc. are not offered to the public. If you see one on ebay or for sale that needs rebuilt, PASS it up!! I'm pretty sure you could send one off to Garrett to have it overhauled, but don't quote me on that. Garrett told me not to worry about it, they stand behind my vendor.

The Garrett GT DBB series of turbos require new coolant & oil feed lines. The stock lines will not bolt up. Most of the GTs have a 14mm banjo style coolant feed/return. I used a -6AN to 14mm banjo adapter, they work great. The oil feed requires a restrictor, as the GTs don't need as much oil pressure & the seals are supposedly a low pressure seal, could possibly blow under full oil pressure?? I used a restrictor adaptor to -4AN for the oil feed. All works great. One note:My oil feed supply is very difficult to get to on the vehicle, nearly impossible. I had to make my own special cutout socket to fit it. Crowsfeet socket would not work, space is too limited. I reused my oil return flange from my mitsu, had to drill out the bolt holes to fit a 8mm bolt. This was on my GT2871R, it does not mean it will work on all GT series turbos.

The Debated subject on the original thread was whether a T3 .63 AR housing could be machined to fit a GT series turbo. My conclusion as a machinist is NO. I've checked the dimensions & it just won't work in my opinion. I believe Chris also verified this in the previous thread as he is possibly having his own Chrysler turbine scrolls casted. Doesn't really matter how he is making them work, I just don't want anyone thinking they can have the T3 flange scroll machined to fit. Want a Chrysler flange GT DBB turbo, buy it from TU. A few posted that it could be machined, but no pics or proof to back it up.

I purchased a GT2871R 56 trim, .64AR turbine hsg/internal wastegate. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the .82AR or the .86AR housing & an external wastegate. These turbos spool super fast, unbelievable, so I will be going to the larger AR & the external wastegate. On my particular turbo, I feel it needs more exhaust flow & the larger housing & external WG will definitely help that. An external winds up costing close to the same, but is more of a hassle to plumb in.
    I had to make my own downpipe$
    I had to purchase the wategate actuator, bracket, swingvalve extra$$
    I had to purchase -AN lines, fittings, etc. $$$
    I had to purchase a header, then put a custom flange on it myself$$$$$$
    All in all it cost more than I anticipated, but it is definitely WORTH EVERY PENNY! All replies are welcome.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Re: Warning on Garrett GT DBB series turbos

Very nice summary of the old thread that was lost in the restored backup.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

boostaholic

Sounds like a good turbo how about some pics of everything if you have some.

Thanks Frank, I really tried to be less offensive!
    Oh I'm a pic whore here's some.
    The modified TU header, turbine mocked up for clearance

a little shot of the backside

My little DBB GT2871R vs. the stock mitsu. DBB is on the right.

Here's a good shot of the GT next to a stock Garrett I just rebuilt. Look closely at the difference in distance from the turbine wheel to the mounting shoulder. The turbine would need too much machining to make the T hsg fit the GT center section. GT is on the right, stocker on the left. This pic also shows my -AN adaptor fittings for the coolant lines.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

you should have bought your gt dbb turbo through TU, and there would be no:

I had to make my own downpipe$
    I had to purchase the wategate actuator, bracket, swingvalve extra$$
    I had to purchase a header, then put a custom flange on it myself$$$$$$
    I had to purchase -AN lines, fittings, etc. $$$
    ANY new turbo -> new lines

at least next time you know were to buy your parts from

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Dodge View Post
    you should have bought your gt dbb turbo through TU, and there would be no:

ANY new turbo -> new lines

at least next time you know were to buy your parts from
    You buy where you want for your reasons, I'll buy where I want for my reasons. The advantage to steering away from the Chrysler housing FOR ME is that I now have the option to run a .82AR turbine hsg, or a .86AR turbine hsg both offered with an optional external wastegate . The point to the turbo lines is that you can't replace them with NEW lines for a T3, our stock style turbos. The lines for a GT DBB are GT DBB specific, they will not interchange with our stockers, new or used. The point to the $$ spent on the wastegate actuator is that I wish I would have just spent the money on going external with the wastegate instead of messing with the internal chokegate.
    This thread was started to try & make available more information about the GT DBB series Garrett turbos. I definitely don't have all the information about them, I'm simply posting my experience with the one I am currently running. Anyone who is currently running a GT DBB is more than welcome to chime in with their experience. Anyone with any questions is more than welcome as well, any post is welcome, bring it. It's beneficial to see all sides of the equation with these turbos.
    Austrian Dodge, are you running a stock style Chrysler flange manifold? Or did you purchase a Header as well?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

i purchased the TU header!

why messing around with an external wastegate?

Basically, what I'm trying to determine is IF a header is required to run a GT DBB. I don't know if a GT will fit a stock exhaust manny, even if it's a Chrysler flange??
    Theory on the external wastegate=flows more on the upper rpms. Same theory on the larger AR turbine housing.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Contra external wastegate... you would have creep if you are making enough power to need one. I know a 500hp omni running a "flapper"... My take is issue is elsewhere..
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Nice resummary. Are you sure the Garret and DBB pics are right? it looks like the DBB turbine wheel is smaller?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I have boost creep in the upper rpms, good point.
    All of the exhaust, wastegated or not, has to flow through a 2.125" ID hole in my swingvalve to my downpipe. Like the stock swingvalve off my TII Garrett, also has a 2.125" hole in the swingvalve for all the exhaust to escape. External will allow the turbine gas to escape through the 2.125" hole, wastegated gas to escape into my 3" downpipe. More exhaust flow, at least in my application.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Nice resummary. Are you sure the Garret and DBB pics are right? it looks like the DBB turbine wheel is smaller?
    Yes sir, very good observation! It is smaller, but I'm told by Garrett that with the new turbine design it will outflow my stocker.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DBB mini View Post
    Yes sir, very good observation! It is smaller, but I'm told by Garrett that with the new turbine design it will outflow my stocker.
    Wow, now thats technololgy for ya,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Yeah I was very leary of it. The GT 3076 is capable of 500hp with a 60mm wheel. Mine is capable of 475 with a 53.8mm wheel. Much smaller wheels overall with more power capability & quicker spool. You said it, technology.

I compared my old STG II 50 trim exhaust side to my 3076R and it was a noticeable difference, the old school T3 wheel has a much larger diameter.

Once the car started running like it should though I will never, ever, ever, and oh by the way, did I mention NEVER go back to a standard bearing, old school wheel'd turbo.

AM

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    I compared my old STG II 50 trim exhaust side to my 3076R and it was a noticeable difference, the old school T3 wheel has a much larger diameter.

Once the car started running like it should though I will never, ever, ever, and oh by the way, did I mention NEVER go back to a standard bearing, old school wheel'd turbo.

AM
    +1! I'm sold on the DBB. Definitely worth every penny IMHO.

For anyone who is interested here's the Stage 3 and GT30 turbine wheels.

Chris-TU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stage 3 vs DBB GT turbine wheel.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	2150  
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Wow... that is a nice wheel!
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

dbb mini

I am glad i ran across this thread I have been considering dbb gt turbo for a while and am getting ready to purchase one soon.

I have spoke to chris at T/U at length about them and they do not come with the chrysler flange from the factory. his shop does the turbo housing alteration to make them a bolt on mod for factory manifolds.

I was considering a 2876 for my dakota project..

i just had a few questions for you if you dont mind.

What boost levels are you running? engine intake exhaust mods? other than altering the manifold you previously listed. ahve you done any dyno runs with this turbo installed.

where is your boost threshhold? rpm wise? I have talked to a couple tech lines and they say for 2.5L the 28 series is a bit on the small side but i am carbed in a blow through configuration on my toy so i will never see the top end of the boost range. you are the only one i have found running a 28 series on a td.. most of them went with the gt30

anywyas thanks for your time and i look forward to your reply

thanks duke