Thread: Electrical Gremlins

Electrical Gremlins

So I am fairly certain I have some electrical gremlins that are causing all my headaches. I am tired of tracking down isolates problems and want to go through the whole electrical system in one shot.
    Problem is I dont know where to start! Any tips ideas or suggestions? Threads or links that may be helpful?

Hybrid booster

Re: Electrical Gremlins

pull the entire engine wire harness out, spread it out on garage floor, remove all of the friction tape and methodically go over every connector, splice with a fine tooth comb. replace any connector pins that arent nice and clean, replace any sketchy looking sections of wire, cut out all the factory induction welded gound splices- solder and shrink wrap them instead, any and all ground lugs should be replaced and the new lugs should be soldered and shrink wrapped.
    re-wrap harness and reinstall into car.
    replace ALL relays even if they look "ok" the internal contacts get burned up over time and can cause voltage loss/ current delivery issues that can wreak havoc and drive you nuts.

seems like a lot of work but its really not bad, and if you do it right you will never have any harness or connector issues ever again- makes a big difference with how the car runs if you are having electrical issues.

boostaholic

If you do end up going over the entire harness I would say wrap only the sections you cant easily get to and finally wrap everything else once installed. This will cut out any length errors that are made as a result of removing all the insulation etc.

I'll keep that in mind. From my project thread it is looking like the J2 wire is probably the main culprit. I have a list of house projects to get to before I have a chance to do this, so it will probably be awhile, but this seems like the way to go.