Thread: 1989 Daytona shelby 2.5 auto random stall???????????????

Hybrid booster

1989 Daytona shelby 2.5 auto random stall???????????????

So, only does this it seam when the wife is driving it ( did it today). (no jokes please) I just drove it from VA Beach to SDAC 25 then to Carlisle and Back to VA Beach ( 6 hours each way with some stop and go traffic) with no issues (a/c running). first off no codes at all, hep is new, ais is new (TB cleaned out when I did it), wiring is good as far as I can tell, fuel pump is new. car runs fine for me as some of you saw at SDAC and Carlisle. happens once and a while ( one day it will do it then nothing for a while, two days in a row, then its fine for a bit ect....) was just happening when stopped a light or cause of traffic, now it has done it when she was moving a few times, starts right back up (said it was hard to start back up one time) done it with A/C on, A/C off. IDK, it one of those gripes that never happens on me. IDEAS?
    Last edited by stewdaddy23; 07-15-2015 at 07:37 PM.

turbo addict

Re: 1989 Daytona shelby 2.5 auto random stall???????????????

Codes?

turbo addict

you gotta do electrical wiggle test immediately for a problem like this. Pop the hood while its idling and wiggle every wire and connector you can get your hands on. If you can get it to stall doing that, game over you win. If nothing happens, then you can start the real troubleshooting.

Hybrid booster

No codes, hate ghost gripes, only thing strange it done to me while driving is the tach has "died" once or 3 time in two year. engine doesn't skip a beat and after 30 sec to 1 min (if that) it pops right back to the correct RPM. so crazy it only does it to her and it goes months with out anything, then bam once a week, then nothing for me the whole trip to PA. she only drives it about 5-6 mile round trip to work and home day to day. Done the wiggle test on the wires and vac lines, i'll have to try again.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Will it prime the pump when you flip the key forward immediately after it dies? I've had a similar, but much more often problem with my Daytona. It is definitely the ASD relay or the wiring which actuates it.

Hybrid booster

IDK, never done it to me, she says it starts right back up 99.99999% of the time or on the 2nd or 3rd try for the few times its been hard to start (2,3 times of the maybe 8 times it has done it over the past year. ill ness with the ASD and check the wires.

Hybrid booster

ok, so when out today, checked the codes again, got 12, 61(BAR solenoid), 55 started the car, did the old wire shake over all of the engine bay and nothin... started checking the vac line and looky looky, some cracks and a split, fixed those while the car was running, except for the vac line going to the fuel pressure regulator on the rail (stock set up). check the codes again 12, 13 (MAP),14(MAP), 61, 55 cars is running fine, pulled the ( checked it on the batt and it worked) and cleaned the connections on it and the car wires, changed out the vac line from it to the MAP, reseated the MAP connector (added some elec grease) , took it out for an hour with a/c on, a/c off, stop and go and highway driveing. anddddddd no stalling on me just like always??????????????????????? i did reset the computer before i drove to get fresh codes, now just 12 and 55 but now the damn thing won't go over 5 lbs of boost? FLM, i can live with that if the car wouldn't die on the wife any more.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

You've still got a vacuum line issue, or the boost control solenoid isn't working. The wastegate can is set to open at 5 psi. The boost solenoid isn't opening to bleed off pressure to allow the system to build full boost.

Hybrid booster

And it goes on, so told the wife try it again, she took it to work and the CE light came on, 13 MAP sensor or vacuum line may not be working , 14 MAP sensor voltage below .16V or over 4.96V and 36 ( I think) Wastegate control circuit open or shorted. which means codes 13 and 14 should throw the CE on so, I check the map to BAR solenoid vac line ( used a piece of silicone line I had to replace the stock one cause it looked old and I was there) it was kind of pinched off so I replace it with a normal rubber one that fits better. reset the computer, still only 5 lbs. damnit, car worked fine prior to coming back to VA beach. still runs great, drove it to work today to see if the CE comes on. line from the wastegate to the boost control solenoid looks ok, didn't touch the solenoid yet. stupid car................. 89 Daytona Shelby T-Top for sale 2500.....

Hybrid booster

update, 38 mile on it since the reset and no CE light, fingers crossed. see what happens tomorrow. did get a low oil flicker but no movement on the gauge, lol cars

Hybrid booster

150 plus miles and no codes, no stall, no CE light, guess the car just hates her, now to get the 5PSI problem fixed.