Thread: 90 L-body left axle differences

Mitsu booster

90 L-body left axle differences

I am trying to figure out the axles for my Rampage TII conversion. I know that I should be using 87-90 L-body left automatic trans ones. The problem that I am having is that the new (reman?) axles that I got have a smaller joint on the trans end, so I cant use the intermediate shaft that I have.

What am I missing?

turbo addict

Re: 90 L-body left axle differences

I believe it is only 88-90 L-body used the larger spline on the tranny side (not 87). IIRC, The DDG says 89-90, but every 88 I've tried is the same as the 89-90. Either try a different year or a different supplier.
    What are you using for the jack shaft (intermediate shaft)? What transmission? We need more info to help you. Are you having problems with both sides of tranny output shaft or just the passenger side? Are you using two 88-90 LH axles for left and right sides or just LH side?
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 07-09-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

If you are running a 520 or 555 transmission then you need:

1990 Omni Automatic axle on the left.

Then you need the transmission end yoke from a jack shaft of a non L body car and you swap that for your existing jackshaft's small spline yoke. This allows you to use your existing small spline right hand axle in the jack shaft.

If you don't want to go through all of that, you can use a long right hand axle from a 1990 Omni with an auto trans.

turbo addict

You can also use the entire jack shaft with matching hanger bracket from a larger car (except van). No splitting of u-joints required using that method. Then you would use another late LH side auto L-body axle on the RH side. True equal length shafts then. Either one of the three ways work fine. I've done it all three ways many times.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	half shafts.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	55513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hanger bearing bracket.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	55514  

turbo addict

I ditched the intermediate shaft a long time ago. U-joints are known to be a weak point, if you make power. I never see any more or less torque steer with the equal length shaft anyways.

turbo addict

Comparing a 3.6 journey that uses equal length vs 3.6 minivan/avenger that is unequal, the journey will pull whatever way the steering wheel is pointed. The minivan or avenger will always pull right.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I ditched the intermediate shaft a long time ago. U-joints are known to be a weak point, if you make power. I never see any more or less torque steer with the equal length shaft anyways.
    Yeah, I just don't like how they come in contact with the lower control arm when you jack up the car by the front mount area. No Dukes of Hazard jumping allowed (lol)! I've never broken a solid (non zerk fitted) u-joint on an Omni yet. Been racing them since they were new. Many 11 and 12 second runs with multiple vehicles. I like the idea of the hollow tube though, even though it weiners down to a solid axle on knuckle end though.
    OP, there are at least three ways to accomplish your goals. They all work fine until you are deep into the 11's. Don't wheel hop the vehicle and all three ways will live a long happy life.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

Complete drivetrain from 89 Lebaron GTC (A555, engine, intercooler, suspension, brakes). This project was started many years back and I am finally putting it back together. I have had it painted for probably 10 years now.

Left axle fits. Right axle made the same. Inner joint is smaller than the intermediate shaft shell from the Lebaron.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by djmoyer View Post
    Complete drivetrain from 89 Lebaron GTC (A555, engine, intercooler, suspension, brakes). This project was started many years back and I am finally putting it back together. I have had it painted for probably 10 years now.

Left axle fits. Right axle made the same. Inner joint is smaller than the intermediate shaft shell from the Lebaron.
    Do you have a stock l-body axle to compare to your LH auto axle? What diameter is the late Omni axle spline? Any way to measure the jack shaft ID diameter? Telescoping (snap) gauge hopefully? What you are describing sounds like if you are trying to mate a turbo L-body axle into the Lebaron GTC jack shaft. The diameter is too small to mate with the spline. You seem to have the correct parts, it should fit. The only larger spline jack shaft that I am aware of is the Chrysler TC 16V. That was a 284 Getrag tranny. Whole nother animal. I doubt you have that.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

Left axle fits fine. The new ones both have the larger splines on the trans end. I think that I need to hit up a JY and see if I can find any used ones. I have a second two piece axle from a TII car. I think that it was an 88 Lancer. The Lebaron one looks the same as that.

I wonder if I have new (not reman) axles and they are making them all with smaller joints?

My friend with a JY only had an 87 Omni one left. It has the smaller trans splines and it looks like the inner joint is the same size as the other L-body ones that I am trying to use.
    Last edited by djmoyer; 07-11-2015 at 05:20 PM. Reason: corrected year

Mitsu booster

Finally got back on this project, with the same problem. Just tried another parts store axle (Advance). Still same problem. Inner CV joint is too small for the Lebaron intermediate shaft housing. I cant swap the joint because the L-body shaft is a smaller diameter than the Lebaron.

Has anyone done this swap recently with new parts store axles? If so, where did they come from?

turbo addict

Stop going to Advance and go somewhere else to get a 88 + AUTO Omni axle.
    I got mine at Autozone.
    Last edited by tryingbe; 02-09-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I bought a left axle for a 1990 Omni auto grand from Rock Auto.
    It fit in my 520 transmission exactly.
    I put a Daytona yoke on the L body jack shaft and used a GLH half shaft axle on the right side.
    You could modify a G body jack shaft for use on your L body but it would require shortening the shaft and possibly making a custom bracket to support the bearing.

Mitsu booster

I am pretty sure that I had already tried one from Autozone, but I will order another one and compare it.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Make sure it is 88-90 L-body. 87 will most likely be the small spline. I have done it on mine and it works. I'll bet when you ask for 87-90 they type in 87 and that is why you get the smaller one.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....