Thread: Electrical issues.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Electrical issues.

Car is a GLH-T with a TIII engine and a bigstuff3 ECU. Car also has a Odyssey PC680(small)Batteryand a power distribution/relay box from a Ford Crown Vic.

I'm trying to find out why my car keeps eating alternators and or 40 amp ignition fuses. During regular low rpm driving the car is fine and is charging at 14.3V. The problem occurs when you rev the engine. It will blow the 40 amp ignition maxi-fuse or destroy the alternator or both. I went through 2 alt in 1 day.

I was doing some tuning pulls on Monday night and everything was fine. Did 3 3rd gear pulls to 7k rpms and everything was fine on the data log. Voltage stayed a constant 14.3-14.4 Volts throughout the pulls. On the last Pull I revved to 7.5rpms and let out when I shifted. I didn't know it then but my alternator crapped out then. Noticed the next morning when I went to start it and the battery was weak. I went back and looked at the voltage on my data logs and I can see it drop out when I shift. Thought maybe it was the external VR so I changed it but it wasn't that. Took the Alt off and to a shop and they said the rotor was shot on it. I told them to rebuild it. I had another ALT with a internal regulator mod that I stuck on to check everything. Got it running and the car was charging fine. To test it I revved the motor up to like 7k while idling, gauges went crazy and the car shut off. Looked and I blew a 40 amp maxi-fuse. Replaced it and started the car but now it's not charging. Took the alt back to the shop and they said the internal VG was shot. They replaced that and I took home both Alts, one internal VR and one external VR. I put the internal VR one back in and went for a cruise. Car was running fine and I was babying it for about 45 min. When I got close to home I revved it out to about 5k and the car shuts off when I go to shift. Ignition fuse blown again, I replace that and start the car. To my surprise, the Alt is still charging. Now, I'm scared to rev the thing. Need to find out whats going on. I did redo my battery to frame ground as the one that was there was small....this was before the last blown fuse.

Things to note....

1.only does it at high(er) RPMs.
    2.only does it when I let off.(never during accel)
    3.blows ignition circuit maxi-fuse. Only blows the ignition fuse when I have the internal VR alt on. When I'm using a external VR it just destroys the Alt, not the fuse.
    4.usually destroys the ALT

If you a good with electric circuits and can point me in the right direction that would be great. I'm really stumped/drained right now and could use another brain(s) helping me lol. On the plus side, I've gotten really good at changing my ALT in this cramped engine bay. Thanks!

Mitsu booster

Re: Electrical issues.

By no means am I a guru, but i would suggest replacing the battery with a new 500cca battery. In the past when I have had multiple alt failures the battery has been the issue. Most likely caused by high resistance.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

What type of alternator ?

turbo addict

any chance your alternator pulley is not what its designed to be and you are spinning the alternator at some unbelievable rpm?

how modified is your electrical system?

ND alternator, stock pulley. Just replaced fuse able links with relay/fuse box .
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

What kind of alternator to battery cable are you using? What kind of ground cables are you using? What kind of cable did you use use from alternator/battery to power distributor?

New 4 gauge. Except the Head to chassis which is a thick grounding strap.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

Is that the only engine ground? If so its probably way too small.

boostaholic

anyone looking for battery cables: http://custombatterycables.com/

They build and ship really quick. Normally priority 2 day shipping.

You can navigate to the custom battery cable section and choose length, color, terminal size, cable type.

turbo addict

I like 1/0 gauge, over kill it. For starter to battery, battery to alternator, and ALL ground cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181074818504...84.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261298170208...84.m1497.l2649

http://www.harborfreight.com/hydraul...ool-66150.html

And two battery terminal that you can get at your auto part store.

Stock Omni alternator wire vs aftermarket.

turbo addict

any odd possibility that the alternator electrical connections (on the alternator) are physically touching something that is ground i.e. chassis/brackets, etc.. during the high rpm acceleration/letting off gas

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Is that the only engine ground? If so its probably way too small.
    No. My grounds are sufficient right now. I tested them all and they all check out.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I like 1/0 gauge, over kill it. For starter to battery, battery to alternator, and ALL ground cable.
    While that is a nice upgrade, It's not likely the cause of my problem. I ran the battery, alt in my Spirit R/T for 2 years with no issues and that had crappy stock wiring. I did just order some 2/0 welding wire though because I do want overkill on my power cables anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    any odd possibility that the alternator electrical connections (on the alternator) are physically touching something that is ground i.e. chassis/brackets, etc.. during the high rpm acceleration/letting off gas
    That seems to be the most likely explanation for me at this time. I'm gonna start tracing wires in the ignition circuit today. Not looking forward to that.

turbo addict

What external VR are you running

I had a very similar problem with my truck, I kept blowing fusable links and fuses, when I had enough I put a solid wire in so it wouldn't blow. After I added the big wire it would charge at 18v any time RPM's went up. I replaced the regulator (dodge 2 wire), still did it, replaced regulator connector, still did it. I finally replaced the regulator again and it fixed it. Those regulators are a crap shoot from the parts store.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    What external VR are you running

I had a very similar problem with my truck, I kept blowing fusable links and fuses, when I had enough I put a solid wire in so it wouldn't blow. After I added the big wire it would charge at 18v any time RPM's went up. I replaced the regulator (dodge 2 wire), still did it, replaced regulator connector, still did it. I finally replaced the regulator again and it fixed it. Those regulators are a crap shoot from the parts store.
    Internal VR atm. Datalog showed the voltage at a steady 14.3V until it dies.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Very good point. The rocking motion of the engine on mine was just enough and the positive feed from the alternator and one of the field wires were both rubbing and actually cut through that the connection was 50/50 and until I actually found it, it was very concealed and hardly evident until it was right there in view.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

FWIW...once the alt dies and it's running only off the battery, it can rev to 7500rpms and nothing bad happens.