Thread: Clutch cable self adjuster f-ing stripped

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Clutch cable self adjuster f-ing stripped

Hi all!

I was driving the Daytona today, and on a shift, I heard a bang which I also felt with my left foot. It feels like the damn clutch self adjuster sheared a tooth. The car still drives, but I have *barely* enough pedal to get it into gear from a stop. Anybody have issues with this before? I'm using a TU stage 3 plate and I didn't think the pedal effort was all that bad. Stiffer than stock, but less effort than my old SPEC stage 3. It was kinda late when it happened, so I didn't get a chance to poke around under the dash to see what actually happened. Is there a part that can be replaced?
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

Re: Clutch cable self adjuster f-ing stripped

I want to say you can still get them from the dealer.

turbo addict

The clutch adjuster is two piece of plastic. One is black and one is white. When my white block stripped, it also took out the black piece.

Easy to replace, adjuster and a big spring and your cable, takes a few minutes to do

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

The cable can start to snap and still be hanging on by a few threads, I had that happen. Hopefully its the adjuster
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    The cable can start to snap and still be hanging on by a few threads, I had that happen. Hopefully its the adjuster
    Maybe. I've got an extra clutch cable hanging in the garage. The adjuster... I've got nothing.

I'll do some digging for the part numbers. 74 hours until I leave for Carlisle.

EDIT: I had an honest 3 minutes to look at it before I needed to go to work this morning. To get me by, I slipped on another cable retainer on the transmission end (so there's another one that's back-to-back with the existing one). I figure if it only sheared one tooth off the adjuster, I'll rely on the next good tooth, so effectively I made my clutch cable about 1/4" shorter. I drove it to work like that and honestly it feels exactly the same as it did before it broke. At least now I've got something to get me by. Luckily the clutch cable looked ok.

Found the two part numbers for the mating plastic pieces in the self-adjuster. Let's see if the blithering idiots at the dealership can help me.
    Last edited by jonnymopar; 07-06-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    Jon J.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    Maybe. I've got an extra clutch cable hanging in the garage. The adjuster... I've got nothing.

I'll do some digging for the part numbers. 74 hours until I leave for Carlisle.

EDIT: I had an honest 3 minutes to look at it before I needed to go to work this morning. To get me by, I slipped on another cable retainer on the transmission end (so there's another one that's back-to-back with the existing one). I figure if it only sheared one tooth off the adjuster, I'll rely on the next good tooth, so effectively I made my clutch cable about 1/4" shorter. I drove it to work like that and honestly it feels exactly the same as it did before it broke. At least now I've got something to get me by. Luckily the clutch cable looked ok.

Found the two part numbers for the mating plastic pieces in the self-adjuster. Let's see if the blithering idiots at the dealership can help me.

We carry both in stock...
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    We carry both in stock...
    Ordered! Thanks Cindy!
    Jon J.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    Ordered! Thanks Cindy!
    shipping in the morning!!
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Nice...

Do you need to pull the whole brake/clutch pedal assembly off of the firewall in order to replace the black portion of the self-adjuster? I already replaced the white portion, which took all of 10 minutes. That got things working properly again, but I'd like to replace the black part as well. I already bought it, the one in there is almost 30 years old, and I'm running a performance clutch.
    Jon J.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Its going to require lots of expletives and a flex head gear wrench will be a lifesaver BUT you can remove the clutch pedal w/o taking it all apart. The long draw bolt/rod has a nut & washer on the brake pedal end and then it slides out the clutch pedal end IIRC. You'll easily understand and figure it out after you look at it for a moment. I have removed mine in-car before for other reasons so I am speaking from fact that it can be done.

And to add: Be damn sure you do not lose those tiny plastic bushings the clutch pedal pivots on. They are of the unobtanimum classification right now.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?