Thread: Help Lost my MPGs

Mitsu booster

Help Lost my MPGs

Lost MPG after VE injector pump rebuild. I’ve had good experiences at NTG Racing up till now. Time to rebuild the injector pump so I took it to NTG Racing, it was leaking bad. I just ask for good mileage and no performance up grades. I was hoping that it might improve my MPG of 16. They sent the pump out to Omega for the rebuild. Got the truck back it seemed OK until I filled the tank and checked the mileage. Holy crap 12 MPG. I have never got that bad a mileage before. It was always around 16 MPG . Well took it back so they could figure it out. They gave it back to me after some adjustments to drive, wow now I could watch the fuel gauge move, 9 MPG. I took it back, they were stumped. They checked other components. “Everything checks out fine. “ Its got to be the injectors,” OK if that fixes it I’ll pay, if not I won’t pay for them. They didn’t change the injectors. They drove it and adjusted the fuel screw on the pump (per the rebuilder Omega) that brought it up to 10.5 MPG we’re not even back the 12 MPG I got at the first try. So is it the pump or is it the injectors? I removed the injectors and had then tested (Advanced Diesel) they tested OK, not the problem. As they had a little over 100,000 miles on them I had them rebuilt. Reinstall them and no change. NTG took the pump out and had it tested (Express diesel) a Bosch Certified center. The pump was taken apart and inspected. Not all the worn parts had been replaced. But still OK . Reassembled and ran on their test machine and readjusted to factory specs 1.25 then advanced to 1.45. Reinstalled ( with a dial indicator) in the truck and now I have it back. It seems ok, a little less power. Put some freeway mile on it and I got 12.65 MPG. Not the decent MPG I had before the rebuild All I want is my 16 MPG back. I’m losing 4 to 5 miles per gallon that adds up quick. What have they done to my truck? And they are still stumped. I still think it’s the timing. Joe said he doesn’t want to see the truck again. Now what?
    1992 w250 auto, gauges, 16cm 4" exhaust the rest stock 103,000 m

1993 d250 LE auto 4" exhaust the rest stock 242,000 18-20 mpg
    1992 w250 LE auto 4" exhaust 16 cm gauges rebuilt ve pump & injectors 103,000 12mpg ?

turbo addict

Re: Help Lost my MPGs

Was it timed using dial indicator or just line the marks back up?

Nevermind, didn't see it in your post.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

With a 92 you should get more than 16.

With my 92 I was getting 24 empty. Loaded about 17.
    THEN mine went down to 14 empty. New pumps, new injectors, its still bad.

I hope WE find out whats wrong.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Mitsu booster

I have talked with others 1st gen. owners that say that there getting in the high teens & into the twentys. The only thing that changed was the rebuilt pump. Were the brand new pumps that much better than the rebuilt one? Talked to the Bosch guys at Express Diesel and they're stumped. Great that don't do us any good.

Searching for my MPGs
    Bill in San Diego