Thread: Problems with shifter

turbo addict

Problems with shifter

My 87 GLHS. I installed OMNIpotents rod shift bracket conversion for the A520-A555. Im trying to get it ready to bring to SDAC and I cannot figure out why its super hard to get into reverse and 1st. The other gears arent too bad. However, the shifter is very stiff and doesnt move semi freely like it should. You actually have to pull it into neutral. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: Problems with shifter

Mike, are the heim joints aligned that they don't bind up at the extents of the movement?

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Did you go theought the adjustment process by locking the transmission into neutral and adjusting the main shift rod?

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Did you go theought the adjustment process by locking the transmission into neutral and adjusting the main shift rod?
    Yeah, if you don't set it in neutral and then align the shifter, you'll have issues unless you do it enough to "know". There is a pin atop of the shifter box. If it hasn't been damaged, unscrew it, flip it over and then thread it back in. If it's in neutral, it will go right in. From that point you can hook up all your linkage and then align the shifter inside the car.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]