Thread: O2 sensor

Garrett booster

O2 sensor

How often should it be changed? I have an 88 CSX-T. I swapped mine out close to 6 years ago but now I'm getting code 52. It was a three wire mopar replacement from Cindy. Thanks

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: O2 sensor

I usually change them when I get an O2 sensor code.

You also need to be aware of why the code could be coming up. O2 sensors can go bad, but I've had many that lasted a LOOOONG time and I've only changed them when I have swapped a housing or went to wideband with narrowband output. I'd consider anything that could have made it fail, but obviously you can't discount that it could have failed.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

I haven't touched any of the wires lately, what do you suggest for trouble shooting ? Thanks

turbo addict

Code 52 means it's locked rich. Do you have bigger than 27lb injectors while still using the stock SMEC and stock fuel pressure? If your running too much fuel pressure it can make the o2 sensor be pegged rich and unable to compensate. That will set the code. Vaccum line attached and functioning on the fuel pressure regulator? If you have a scan tool you can watch o2 sensor voltage signal. You can do the same with a VOM. Center wire is signal wire. It should be continually switching from lean to rich once it comes up to temperature. That should give you a real big clue if it's functioning or not. The good news it is a cheap o2 sensor to purchase.
    Todd

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by glhs571 View Post
    How often should it be changed? I have an 88 CSX-T. I swapped mine out close to 6 years ago but now I'm getting code 52. It was a three wire mopar replacement from Cindy. Thanks
    O2 sensors get killed when something else dies first...like a fuel pressure regulator or anything else that creates an out-of-control rich condition. Might pop the vac line off your fuel pressure regulator and see if any liquid gas comes out (definitely bad) or if it smells strongly of gas (possibly bad). Best to do the test after things have gotten warmed up and driven around for awhile.