Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child seat tether TSB

Hybrid booster

Child seat tether TSB

Chrysler lists a TSB to install the top anchor for child seat tethers. It applies to J Body (Convertible/Coupe) according to the TSB, but there isn't a diagram listed in AllData on the installation for the convertible, only Coupe. Does anyone else have a resource that would show this?

TSB #: 232288

Code:
    Models
    1989 AA-, AC-, AG-, AH-, AJ-, AK-, AL-, AM-, AP-, & BB-Body Passenger Car
    AB- & AS-Body Truck (See Body Code Legend)
    Subject
    Child Seat Tether Anchor Installation
    Index
    BODY
    Date
    December 30, 1988
    No.
    23-22-88
    P-5444 (C23-11)
    BODY CODE LEGENDPassenger Cars
    AA - Spirit Acclaim AC - Dynasty/New Yorker/Landau AG - Daytona AH - Lancer/LeBaron GTS AJ - LeBaron (2-Door Coupe/Convertible) AK - Aries/Reliant AL - Omni/Horizon AM - Diplomat/Newport/Fifth Avenue AP - Shadow/Sundance BB - Premier
    Trucks
    AB - Dodge Ram Van/Wagon (Rear-Wheel-Drive) AS - Caravan/Voyager
    Due to increased customer interest, child seat tether anchor packages have been made available. Upon customer request, the appropriate vehicle package and install according to attached instructions.

POLICY:Information Only - These packages to be installed at the customer's expense.

Hybrid booster

Re: Child seat tether TSB

That would be nice, I can't secure my son's seat in my back seat no matter what I do with the lap belt. Kind of sucks because he always wants to ride in it.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Hybrid booster

Yeah, I'm hoping there was a diagram for the mounting location, and it's just missing from Alldata. I wonder if Gary has first hand knowledge on installing these??

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I wish they had the click in things in AA bodies between the backrest and the seat pad.

Why exactly can't your seats be installed? My kids sit in convertible seats and youngest just turned 2 so he can now FWD face in WA state.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Hybrid booster

Without the top strap, the seat only has the lap belt to hold it in, and I don't like how much it rocks forward when I apply the brakes.

Hybrid booster

And mine is leather so the seat slides all over the place. I just won't risk it, we've got other cars and the child seat is rock solid in them.

92+ had an improved seat belt with a shoulder strap I've thought about trying to use. It seems like the shape of the seat is part of the issue also though, when tightening the lap belt the child seat always wants to spin to the inside.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

boostaholic

In a lot of childseat/carseat combos you need to put a rolled up towel or something behind them or under them, in order to get the chair at a safe angle. That makes the fit even worse if you're just running a lap belt. A lot of parents ignore the level markings on the child seats and run them as they fit. I totally get why too.. its such a pain in some cars. I've done it.

Those seats shouldn't be run without that top strap though.. In seats without headrests I would run steel-frame full-height child-seats, and strap the top strap around back to the seat base. I'd find or make a hole to run the top strap around top to clip down to something.

Hybrid booster

Everything except for the convertible has a TSB to install an anchor for the top strap, it tells you exactly where to look for the recess to drill out. Just trying to figure out if anyone knows of a place to mount the anchor on the convertible.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'm not following what you'd add in a P body for a child seat. FWIW, I put my kid in the NYer with only the lap belt all the time.

boostaholic

Ah damn I skipped over the original post entirely... Do you have a link to the diagrams you were able to find?

Hybrid booster

The top tether was mandated by law around 2000-2001 model year. I believe a lot of manufactures came up with TSB's to retrofit older cars for free or low cost, they wanted to look good since it was a safety issue. The actual law states convertibles are exempt hence Chrysler not showing them in the TSB. Not sure how old your children are but you could rear face them and then not worry about it. We have carseats that can rear face up to 45 pounds, my 2.5 year old still rear faces.

Hybrid booster

I can't imagine rear facing in a two door. At least with a convertible I could drop the top to get him in and out though.

The text of the TSB the OP posted does include the convertibles, so it's an intriguing question.

Hybrid booster

As an example, the hook placement for the Dodge Shadow/Plymouth Sundance

If someone would like the writeup for their specific vehicle, let me know. I can take screenshots and post them.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That looks wholly unnecessary.

Hybrid booster

I can check Mitchell on demand and see if it's the same or has more info.

Hybrid booster

Mitchell shows a bulletin issued April 23 2015 which supercedes the bulletin from Oct. 24 2008. This current bulletin only lists the 89 GTS and 89-93 coupes.

boostaholic

Plus.. if you get rear ended hard, it could allow a lot of slack.. when that mounting point gets pushed forward. Could you post the minivan one?

Hybrid booster

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Not sure how you guys fail to get your seats stable with just a lap belt. We were using the wrong location for the straps when that was the case. I also don't see how the seating angle rules make sense unless they are trying to cause kids wiplash
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast