Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shifter knob recovering?

Shifter knob recovering?

Anyone done this? How do you take it apart or do you just recover it and that's it? I'd like to recover the one in the GLHS.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Shifter knob recovering?

pics?

Here are the pics. The orange around the hole is the piece I think is an insert that is either glued in or heat-pressed in. The other is a mark around the plastic piece between the metal and the leather wrap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150624_121507.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	55321 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150624_121519.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	905.5 KB 
ID:	55322 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150624_121529.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	55323
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Are you sure the last pic is a plastic piece? Just looks like leather with a press mark on it from how it is installed, or maybe the reverse ring. To me it looks like you'll cut the stitch, mark where the leather goes on the knob, make new patterns and sew it back together. The bottom looks like leather wrapped around the edge and then sewn together. For that type of stitch you'll need a sewing machine as it is a basic stitch on the leather pattern and then a hand sewing stitch that joins the pieces together.

It may be, but there is a delineated line there, so I'm assuming this is either some sort of ring that is pressed in or maybe it's the base. It won't just come apart, so was looking to see how I could easily get it apart to work on it.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

You are becoming the TM upholstery guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    You are becoming the TM upholstery guy.
    haha well I'd LOVE to be able to do this or figure out how it's done. I tried spinning the metal piece, but it doesn't seem to unthread like you think it would. It is hard to see in the pic, but the leather wraps around the main part of the shifter and then I think that other piece may be pressed in to finish the bottom. But I'm just a little nervous about dismantling this thing and then having difficulty getting it right afterward. Guess you have to just take leaps and figure it out sometimes, so I may do this before SDAC. As I get to it and make progress (assuming I do), I'll post pics for sure.

Stop being a fairy princess and jump in with both feet. It's the only way.

YOUR fairy has the princess on it.

Removed the sheath, now need to figure out everything else. And you were correct DJ, it was just the leather. What I thought was a ring was the impression from the cover that threads over the base to cover the set screws.

Name:	20150625_124234.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	55330 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150625_124245.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	897.4 KB 
ID:	55331 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150625_124249.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	863.2 KB 
ID:	55332 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150625_124305.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	55333

There ya go!

Here's a good video of the euro stitch.

That was some awesome work, until he got to the point where he had the stingray stitched into the horn. :-| Seriously, that's cool and not to downplay effort, but it doesn't look terribly difficult to do. My girlfriend has a sewing machine, so I should be able to get that stitching done or just do it by hand since it's not a big job. I will try and get this done before SDAC. Thankfully, I have a TON of spare leather lying around on a roll to play with.

Started, probably will mess it up, but might as well see what I can do. Need to get some thread and then figure out how to start. I'm assuming I'll need to adhere one of the pieces on first and then trim the second piece. I'll figure it out. I got the alignment off in terms of the large markers, but the spacing is still the same, about 1/8". I'll also need to determine which colors to go with, as well.

Name:	20150626_144706.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	55346

Talk to me Goose.....

- - - Updated - - -

Hahahaha

I'm sure glad I don't have any enemies.

Possible colors. Black, silver'ish and a sandstone with a sheen to it.

Name:	20150626_175015.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	55349

My thought is to do the brown for the main stitch and then the criss cross in silver. My backup is black and silver or black and sandstone or black and black.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

How did this turn out? I need to order up some leather for a Shelby wheel. Any ideas on what to go with? I'm having one of my students recover a spare 89 style three spoke Shelby wheel for me.

Man I have only still cut the leather, haven't tried to do it yet. I think if I had more leather I would make an attempt and fail, but with just one set, I am nervous about doing it. I also need an awl or something to put holes in the leather for the stitching, as a needle just doesn't have the rigidity to go through the leather without bending it or puncturing my hand. I really need to do this, but I would simply recommend getting enough leather to do 4 or 5 and then make your template and try. The wheel will be a little different, but same idea. DJ sent me a video of a guy who did a wheel and it looked really good, but he didn't show too much, if any, of how he got his template, only showed the template.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Man I have only still cut the leather, haven't tried to do it yet. I think if I had more leather I would make an attempt and fail, but with just one set, I am nervous about doing it. I also need an awl or something to put holes in the leather for the stitching, as a needle just doesn't have the rigidity to go through the leather without bending it or puncturing my hand. I really need to do this, but I would simply recommend getting enough leather to do 4 or 5 and then make your template and try. The wheel will be a little different, but same idea. DJ sent me a video of a guy who did a wheel and it looked really good, but he didn't show too much, if any, of how he got his template, only showed the template.
    That's where I think I have an advantage. The girl I'm having do the work does sewing etc. so she should be pretty good at the template business. Where did you get your leather?

DJ bought a huge roll and he let me swipe a small section. It was just enough, but I didn't want to take too much. He actually was going to let me have more, but he jokingly told me he couldn't spare x amount and I didn't get the joke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast